Subwoofer upgrade?

I believe that the UMIK uses the mic setting with cal file - I don’t get an option to add a cal file to the that C setting in REW.

For measuring frequency sweeps weighting is irrelevant. When I use the SPL meter in REW I use C-weighting though.

Spent the day tinkering and subwoofer placement..... see attach graphs EQ via SVS app.

What's your views, master volume 65 sub gain -34db. Need to turn it up now.
20200410_193543.jpg

The master volume and sub gain are largely irrelevant. Can you switch the smoothing off ? Why do you need to ‘turn it up ‘ ?

Spent the day tinkering and subwoofer placement..... see attach graphs EQ via SVS app.

What's your views, master volume 65 sub gain -34db. Need to turn it up now.

Using 1/3 smoothing is a bit silly IMO - it makes any response graph look passable. Can you turn off the smoothing entirely so we can see whats actually going on?

Sub with mains no smoothing blue line.

Brown line with sub only no smoothing.
15865497580058494324385162845224.jpg

The little camera icon in the top left allows you to export the current display as an image. Much easier and clearer than taking photos of your screen

The little camera icon in the top left allows you to export the current display as an image. Much easier and clearer than taking photos of your screen

Oh yeah never noticed. 👍

How comes the mains have pulled the sub out of the null??🤔

Front mains cross over set at 80hz
It would be informative if you could make a measurement of the mains without the sub.

Can you take one with the main speaker ports open and another with some socks stuffed in them, that would be an interesting comparison!

Yes of course. 👍

It would be informative if you could make a measurement of the mains without the sub.

subwoofer and mains attached what's your thoughts??
MAINS ONLY WITH MAINS AND SUBWOOFER.jpg
SUB AND MAINS AT 80HZ CROSSOVER.jpg

Can you take one with the main speaker ports open and another with some socks stuffed in them, that would be an interesting comparison!

just killed 80hz and below... I don't think dirac will like my in room speaker response..
MAINS WITH BLOCKED PORTS.jpg

subwoofer and mains attached what's your thoughts??
That you can now see why the main speaker ouput was filling in the dip in the sub response at around 80 Hz :) .

I'm guessing your measurement was for left and right front running at the same time? There is some reason to consider this in the bass region but higher up you should measure them individually if you want to see what they're doing, so don't pay too much attention to the response over most of the range.

The combined mains + sub response you have their doesn't look bad, unless you find it sounds too bass heavy.

That you can now see why the main speaker ouput was filling in the dip in the sub response at around 80 Hz :) .

I'm guessing your measurement was for left and right front running at the same time? There is some reason to consider this in the bass region but higher up you should measure them individually if you want to see what they're doing, so don't pay too much attention to the response over most of the range.

The combined mains + sub response you have their doesn't look bad, unless you find it sounds too bass heavy.

Yeah both mains running together... I love bass and suits the type of music I generally listen to. It seems the 80hz crossover setting is ideal here do you think??

Do you think the sub gain is too high? Maybe pull 5db out to match the mains?

I tell you something tho, I've learnt lots here on sub placement and sub eq etc, bloody brilliant!

Yeah both mains running together... I love bass and suits the type of music I generally listen to. It seems the 80hz crossover setting is ideal here do you think??

I tell you something tho, I've learnt lots here on sub placement and sub eq etc, bloody brilliant!
That’s what it’s all about really - gaining experience through trial and error. Where has the sub ended up?

That’s what it’s all about really - gaining experience through trial and error. Where has the sub ended up?

In the right corner with the driver facing the right wall approx 30cm away.

In the right corner with the driver facing the right wall approx 30cm away.
Have you tried it in the middle of your right hand wall facing in to room or is the WAF for that too low? The sealed ports will reduce the lower bass below crossover but you are diverting that to the sub anyway if you set it at 80hz. You may find dirac does a better job with integrating that - it certainly does with mine. As I say all about trial and error.

Last edited:
Have you tried it in the middle of your right hand wall facing in to room or is the WAF for that too low? The sealed ports will reduce the lower bass below crossover but you diverting that to the sub anyway if you set it at 80hz. You may find dirac does a better job with integrating that - it certainly does with mine. As I say all about trial and error.

No I've got no room for it there, the sub is too deep for that.

I've not run dirac yet. I'll do that later👍

It depends how you think it sounds really. There is no 'right' answer here.

Note you'll be able to adjust the shape of the response with Dirac.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom