Question Subwoofer Upgrade

crazyknowledge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This it not a true DIY project but hoped someone might be able to help anyway please.

I have a subwoofer made by a company called Blueroom, 'Bass Station', I love it just for the shape and has a nice sound with music but nothing special. The drive unit an amp are very basic, It is a ported design with a 10" driver. Due to the shape of the unit I have found it impossible to get a better 10" drive unit that will fit in the hole at the top as it need to be exactly 265mm to allow the grill to go back on.

So I planned to get a reducer plate made up from 3mm aluminium which will then allow the use of a decent quality 8" unit, This would only cost £25 for the plate .

The amp is very small and no option to upgrade it's components so I planned to get another metal plate made to blank it off and then will get a decent amplifier and just put that into a box and use externally.

So I have a JL Audio D108 and was tempted to use the drive unit and amp from that sub.

My slight concern is the JL audio is a sealed box and the Blueroom ported, I would also estimate the Blueroom has twice the internal volume.

So could anyone advise if this is a sensible idea and would it work or a waste of time ?

The most I have been offered for my JL Audio is £425 so thought for the quality of amp and drive unit it has better to use these than buy a new drive unit and amp.

Many thanks,

Andrew

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom