Suggestions for TV Shows that Dad and teenage daughter could watch

Dark Eyes

Standard Member
Reaction score
My 16 year daughter usually spends most of her time in her bedroom, on her phone or watching videos or 'TV shows', but recently she has come down and asked to watch a show with me, which was nice. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be able to find much content that we can both enjoy.
I like nature, documentaries and drama with decent storylines, recent examples, Quiz, Chernobyl, Line of Duty.
She prefers more teenage focused stuff like, Inbetweeners, Riverdale, Skins, Pretty Little Liars.
We tried Killing Eve this weekend, but she wasn't that into it, and I thought it was just ridiculous - although that was after 2 episodes, but I couldn't see it suddenly improving.

So I was just wondering, does anybody, especially parents of teenagers, have any suggestions of what we could try?

Stranger Things.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I don't have kids so not sure if I would find that difficult to watch with a teenage daughter but it's a great show for both teenagers and adults alike. With a great message for female empowerment.

Maybe Star Trek Discovery?

I think Demon hit the nail on the head with his suggestion though.

My daughter is slightly older but I've watched Friday Night Dinner, Ricky and Morty, the Mandalorian and Hayao Miyazaki films with her recently..

Just watch what she wants to watch. For us it was Divergent today...

Supernatural

Xena: Warrior Princess.

13 Reasons Why.

It is an 18 classification but should be OK if she is a worldly 16 year old.

Just watch what she wants to watch. For us it was Divergent today...
I have watched my fair share of 'testing' TV shows and films with my kids, over the years. Whilst I can still tolerate the odd teen movie these days, a TV series needs to be tolerable.

Thanks for the suggestions; we had a look at them, and eventually tried The Good Place, which I thought was okay, but she didn't, although ethics and morality have never been her thing!
Anyway it turned out, that her friends were away or unavailable, so it only lasted a couple of days, then she went back to spending her evenings chatting on the phone in her bedroom...

I watched My Brilliant Friend on my own and then with my (older than teenage) daughter. Excellent HBO show (but it is in Italian with subs).

Anyway it turned out, that her friends were away or unavailable, so it only lasted a couple of days, then she went back to spending her evenings chatting on the phone in her bedroom...

Don't worry, there'll be times when she wants to watch stuff with the family again. Seems to go in cycles, you don't see them for a while, then they emerge from their bedroom and join in things again..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom