Support for Windows 7

Padraig H

Established Member
Reaction score
My 17.3 Samsung laptop OS is Windows 7. I believe all support ends in mid January
My main PC is Dell with all printer, scanner, music, connected so its not an urgent issue.
but the laptop is in excellent condition, never used much, and still handy to have.
Whats my options with regard to OS upgrade etc.

First, I suggest taking a system image (in case it goes pear shaped - not that it should, but it's always best to be prepared). I use Macrium Reflect (free) for this purpose. You will need external storage big enough to store the image, which will be at least as big as all the contents of your Hard Drive.
Download the WinPE extension with Macrium as well; that creates a bootable medium you can use to restore the image if you don't have a usable OS after.

Then

1: Follow the steps in the heading "Create Windows 10 installation media" here

2: Locate your Win7 product key
..... If Windows came preinstalled on your PC, the product key should appear on a sticker on your device. If you’ve lost or can’t find the product key, contact the manufacturer.

3: Run setup from the install media. Use the Win7 product key when asked for. That should activate Win10 on your machine.

Rufus

Use Rufus for creating the installation media.

What model of Samsung laptop do you have ?

If you can't find the COA sticker on your laptop or it is too badly worn you can try the following -

open Command Prompt
Type the following -

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

or

powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"

and it should return the Product Key.

Forgive me but I don't see the need. The Win10 download is bootable by itself.

Thanks for your replies
yes, the Win 7 product key is labeled on the laptop.
I agree its better to do system image just in case, have to find big enough hard drive.

Got round to upgrading. Everything seemed to be going alright till it
got to Checking for updates. in the Windows 10 setup
It got to 46% in in about 15/20 minutes then just stuck there after about 3 hours I
decided to stop.
It says This may take a few minutes under Getting updates, no error messages
Not caused any problems with currant OS.
Any idea what might be causing this problem

Last edited:
In some earlier version(s) of Windows - sorry, I don't remember which, so it may have been an earlier 10 or an 8.x - I found similar, and got over it by instructing it (a setting in the initial install IIRC) to NOT go get updates during setup. Allowed the install to proceed without and then, once running, did a check for updates manually. Your mileage may differ.

Ill have another go and look out for that option in the setup screens.

If the upgrade process fails, almost always a clean install will succeed. In this case boot off the installer as before, choose custom install rather than upgrade, delete all partitions present and the follow the prompts to to a clean install. You will need to reinstall any extra programs, antivirus, emails etc however. Use your windows 7 key to activate W10 when the install is completed

No need to do anything because support has stopped doesn't mean the OS is useless.

It's all scare tactics to force remainers to Win10.

No need to do anything because support has stopped doesn't mean the OS is useless.

It's all scare tactics to force remainers to Win10.

It's not scare tactics at all. it's ongoing development and W7 is now old hat. The support for W7 has come to an end and there will be no further updates on the security side, so whilst W7 will continue to work it will be left open to vulnerabilities in future. Also hardware manufacturers will no longer support development for W7.

It's not scare tactics at all. it's ongoing development and W7 is now old hat. The support for W7 has come to an end and there will be no further updates on the security side, so whilst W7 will continue to work it will be left open to vulnerabilities in future. Also hardware manufacturers will no longer support development for W7.

Yes it is scare tactics because something no longer has support to public doesn't make it unsafe at all.

W7 is going to be supported for many years still to enterprise/business if it was so unsafe these would of been the first places to move off the platform.

False again with hardware manufactures even new Ryzen systems W7 can work it's just people like you are spreading rubbish and MS is really trying to force people onto W10 for business reasons.

W10 is garbage even a lot of the staff that helped to build/work on it have come out and said so.

Yes it is scare tactics because something no longer has support to public doesn't make it unsafe at all.
Don't recall saying it's unsafe, however it will become vulnerable overtime.

W7 is going to be supported for many years still to enterprise/business if it was so unsafe these would of been the first places to move off the platform.
It was a good OS and yes it will be around for many years, just not supported by MS or have any further development.

False again with hardware manufactures even new Ryzen systems W7 can work it's just people like you are spreading rubbish and MS is really trying to force people onto W10 for business reasons.
Yes of course it will work on some new hardware but there's no point putting W7 on new system, better to move on. I'm not trying to force anything on anyone, users have they're own choice. As for spreading rubbish then you are definitely guilty of doing that, me I support W7 and W10.

W10 is garbage even a lot of the staff that helped to build/work on it have come out and said so.
Sorry but that is garbage, W10 is a good OS and will be improved over time, and will be around for many years to come, that is why millions worldwide have upgraded to it or are newly installing it. You might not like it and that is fine.

No luck with 2nd attempt I could not find that option; "got over it by instructing it (a setting in the initial install IIRC) to NOT go get updates during setup". The updates just started same as before and reached the same 46% like last time and stick on that. Should I just let them run on and see what happens.

With regard to a clean install; doesn't that wipe everything out, meaning you have to install lots of important stuff after to the the new Win 10 OS like system drivers, etc. I'm not sure about me tackling
that sort of stuff, thats why I choose the more straightforward upgrade option.

With regard to the Win 7 support ending and the new Win 10 I thought if I can upgrade sure why not,
Its not turning out as straightforward as I thought.

No luck with 2nd attempt I could not find that option; "got over it by instructing it (a setting in the initial install IIRC) to NOT go get updates during setup". The updates just started same as before and reached the same 46% like last time and stick on that. Should I just let them run on and see what happens.

With regard to a clean install; doesn't that wipe everything out, meaning you have to install lots of important stuff after to the the new Win 10 OS like system drivers, etc. I'm not sure about me tackling
that sort of stuff, thats why I choose the more straightforward upgrade option.

With regard to the Win 7 support ending and the new Win 10 I thought if I can upgrade sure why not,
Its not turning out as straightforward as I thought.

The problem with Microsoft's upgrade installs is that they never do a decent job. You always end up having to do a fresh reinstall anyway.

But with Windows 10, it does install everything for you including required drivers.
You can of course install specific drivers yourself if you need to, but Win10 does a good job of installing everything to get the PC going.

Just found this someone had posted
The same 46% problem that I have run into

Attachments

• Windows 10 stuck 46%.PNG
    Windows 10 stuck 46%.PNG
    456.1 KB · Views: 85
What do you have on your machine you want to keep?

What model is the sammy?

The reason for it seemingly sticking is usually due to it dealing with drivers, it not being sure what to do about them. I have known people leave their systems on overnight to find that the upgrade was successful when the looked in the morning.

Probably a good thing to do and then if you have no luck let us know. There are a number of ways to get W10 on to a machine. It would help to know what model the sammy is though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a good thing to do and then if you have no luck let us know. There are a number of ways to get W10 on to a machine. It would help to know what model the sammy is though.
Model NP300E7A

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't recall saying it's unsafe, however it will become vulnerable overtime.

It was a good OS and yes it will be around for many years, just not supported by MS or have any further development.

Yes of course it will work on some new hardware but there's no point putting W7 on new system, better to move on. I'm not trying to force anything on anyone, users have they're own choice. As for spreading rubbish then you are definitely guilty of doing that, me I support W7 and W10.

Sorry but that is garbage, W10 is a good OS and will be improved over time, and will be around for many years to come, that is why millions worldwide have upgraded to it or are newly installing it. You might not like it and that is fine.

Everything is vulnerable not just software but also hardware attacks so pointless answer.

Age has no barring on it if it works it works in manufacturing they are still using OS XP or under also you are wrong about no support or development showing again you are misleading people as I stated before business/enterprise will be offered support until 2023. (I expect all these will be posted up on internet by some people for everyone to use)

W10 is not a good OS thats why they have had to do rebuilds of it and people was forced to move onto it if you said to a lot of them you have choice they would not choose W10.

Millions didn't choose by the way they was forced with when buying new systems w10 was only option and even the likes of University campus they would not allow W7 systesm to connect to the wifi which is another reason you see the students get free upgrade which again is forced.

Everything is vulnerable not just software but also hardware attacks so pointless answer.

Age has no barring on it if it works it works in manufacturing they are still using OS XP or under also you are wrong about no support or development showing again you are misleading people as I stated before business/enterprise will be offered support until 2023. (I expect all these will be posted up on internet by some people for everyone to use)

W10 is not a good OS thats why they have had to do rebuilds of it and people was forced to move onto it if you said to a lot of them you have choice they would not choose W10.

Millions didn't choose by the way they was forced with when buying new systems w10 was only option and even the likes of University campus they would not allow W7 systesm to connect to the wifi which is another reason you see the students get free upgrade which again is forced.

Oh so there you go, how many basic PC users out there have enterprise, not many I'll guess. Whether you like it or not is immaterial, W10 is now firmly established, more secure and will evolve over time just as W7 did. As for XP, your welcome to use it if you like and remain in the dark ages. :rotfl:

Windows 7 end of support was always going to happen on January 14th, 2020. Here's an article from 2010, less than a year after launch, confirming that:

Back then if you said Microsoft would be doing the equivalent of giving Windows ME owners a free upgrade to Windows 7 and that it'd work on most PCs you'd have been laughed at.

People who bought Windows 7 are being given the option to have longer support than originally stated by upgrading to Windows 10.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom