Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I want to add 5.1 S.Sound to my set-up.

TV: LG E55v930c
PVR 1: Humax 4000T
PVR 2: Topfield 5800.

All units have optical out.
Humax also has usb, hdmi & rca L/R stereo audio out.
Toppy also has scart, usb (don't know if it's In or Out) and rca L/R stereo audio out.

I assumed all S.S systems would connect, but I just bought a kit that only has rca jack connections (6 in & 6 out), so is no good for my purpose.
Being disabled with limited income, I don't want to spend a lot if I can help it. Its only for my bungalow lounge.

All advice appreciated.

ADMIN: If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

Hi Joe,
It's a OneConcept H505 :
OneConcept%20H505%20-%202_zpsv7smuvov.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] 5.1.

OneConcept H505 - 2.JPG

Last edited:
Tricky - your unit assumes you have an external Surround Sound decoder with your Sources connected to the decoder.

Have to go mobile now - will see if I can point you at something later.

Joe

Thanks again Joe,
There are decoders/adapters on the market, but I don't want to add 'bits' unless I have to.
I think this unit can be returned.
Am I right in assuming that the optical out is the best feed for 5.1 ?
If so, i'd need a 3-way optical adapter !?
Do USB or HDMI carry audio signals ?
Thanks

Your cheapest/best option would be to return that system and pick up a cheap av receiver from gumtree or similar. You would connect any sources to the av receiver via HDMI then HDMI from receiver to the TV.

Hi guys,
I want to add 5.1 S.Sound to my set-up.

TV: LG E55v930c
PVR 1: Humax 4000T
PVR 2: Topfield 5800.

All units have optical out.
Humax also has usb, hdmi & rca L/R stereo audio out.
Toppy also has scart, usb (don't know if it's In or Out) and rca L/R stereo audio out.

I assumed all S.S systems would connect, but I just bought a kit that only has rca jack connections (6 in & 6 out), so is no good for my purpose.
Being disabled with limited income, I don't want to spend a lot if I can help it. Its only for my bungalow lounge.

All advice appreciated.

ADMIN: If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

You will only get 5.1 audio from the 4000T because only HD channels have it, and even then the majority is 2.0 (stereo). Toppy has two scart sockets one is in and out (designed to connect to a VCR) and the other is out only (TV output). The 4000T carries 5.1 on both HDMI and optical (toslink).

This unit has the required analogue outputs from a toslink cable input but given the relatively small number of programmes with 5.1 is it worth it.

ESYNiC Digital Audio Decoder to Analog 5.1 Converter - Support Digital Optical Coaxial DTS AC3 Dolby Signal and Stereo(R/L) Audio Signal into 5.1 / 2.1 Analog Output: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

If you want to use the Toppy (stereo only) and the 4000T you would need a toslink optical switch.

eg

Volador SPDIF/TOSLINK Digital Optical Audio Switcher: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

As already said you would likely do better with a low end proper AV receiver with the required inputs.

Example

ONKYO TXSR252Black AV Receiver

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
As per above suggestions I would return the Concept unit and purchase an AVR second hand (or new) with a suitable number of Optical Inputs and partner that with a budget set of speakers.

Joe

Thanks again guys,

Graham:
You will only get 5.1 audio from the 4000T because only HD channels have it, and even then the majority is 2.0 (stereo). Toppy has two scart sockets one is in and out (designed to connect to a VCR) and the other is out only (TV output). The 4000T carries 5.1 on both HDMI and optical (toslink).

I'm not sure what to think about this. My last TV was a Toshiba with built-in S.Sound. We all know it isn't the best of systems, but suited me.
I previously used 2 VHS machines with the TV. I had (still have - not used) 2 DVD recorders, before getting the Toppy. I used to get surround sound with these set-ups, obviously sourced from my antenna/coax.
I'm expecting someone to say "that was only stereo, split through 5 speakers", but it certainly wasnt. It was proper S.Sound.

Incidentally, the first time I tried/heard of S.Sound, I bought an Akai A-650 VHS recorder (very expensive at the time) still in original box and packaging (I keep all my boxes !?). It has an amp in it to attach 2 'rear' speakers. It used the TV stereo speakers and the two via the VHS. People have also said that this was stereo split into 4, but again, i heard things through the rear speakers that didn't come through the front ones.
I still have that VCR, but the recording side didn't work properly. I'm guessing that would be a cinch to fix these days. Quite a rare item I s'pose.

I'm still looking for the appropriate kit and will update when I get something.

Thanks for reading this.

'but it certainly wasnt. It was proper S.Sound' - only if the broadcast/media you were viewing included a dedicated 5.1 stream!

It sounds like the Akai had some form of 'quadraphonic' processing and again for the most part it was taking a Stereo signal and matrixing it to additional channels.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom