SVS Dual PB2000 Pro - REW Result

YorkshireJim007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd get a second opinion on my REW results for my SVS PB-2000 setup. After much tweaking I've arrived at the below sweep result. I think it's pretty good, based on what I know about REW and what you're supposed to try and achieve. I'm no expert, so I thought I'd share, to see if anyone had any comments, recommendations or tips. Cheers. Jim.

Best yet.jpg

Can you change the scale to 5dB increments? 50dB increments isn't very useful.

Thanks Conrad for responding - please find the attached hope it's what you meant. Cheers Jim.
5 DB increments.jpg

Thanks, that looks good. It has a nice rise down to 15Hz.
- Is that sub only?
- How big is your room?
- Is that using the onboard SVS app, in which case, do you have the pre-EQ measurements?

Can you share your MDAT file? Upload it to dropbox or somewhere and share the link is usually the easiest way.

Most importantly, how does it sound?

Hi Conrad, please find the link below to the MDAT file. There are 4 sweeps

1: Just the Pioneer MCACC auto setup, which is pretty bad - it had some speakers set to large etc.
2: As above but with all the speakers set to small in the amp.
3: Phase and volume tweaked to get the best I could, but no EQ
4: The graph I posted as with number 3, but with the EQ applied.

All EQ at the moment for the subs is the SVS app. Settings below - identical on each sub.

Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 16.59.30[8590].jpg

I've got a minidsp on order, I've got two REL HT1003 doing nothing which I'm going to try and integrate with the SVS, just to see what happens.

Room is 3m wide and about 5m long with a cupboard at the back right with AV kit and boiler in. So not a rectangle.

Setup is Jamo THX ONE LCR Front, Jamo Surrounds and Jamo D6 LCR for 4 Atmos Channels (don't ask). So running a 7.2.4 as it stands.

As for how it sounds - it sounds amazing, really deep without making the room shake, it will do that, but doors around the house move, which the wife doesn't like... It seems a lot cleaner since calibration, tighter if you will. I'm just wondering whether to boost the bottom end slightly for a bit more "sub fun" shall we call it, and go for a house curve, as all I've tried to do is make it flat.

Happy to run sweeps in any which way you tell me with stuff on or off and upload the data. Thanks again for your help and views.

I had a set of Jamo’s a while back, very good speakers for movie watching.

your graph looks good, why have you got a minidsp on order?

You've done a really good job, it looks very good. That dip at 90Hz will be next to inaudible and will require a good amount of work to resolve (placement and/or timing, with a number of measurements).

The only areas I'd look at would the 100-125Hz range. The EQ you're applying to move the yellow measurement to the purple, you might want to try and ease off the EQ there as the yellow is slightly better.

If you want more sub fun then just don't cut so much in the 20Hz range. It looks like you're cutting by about 9dB, try 5 or 6.

I'd also remove that 90Hz boost, it's not doing anything to the response and is just eating up headroom. It could actually be the cause of the poorer response above 100Hz.

@conrad I'll make the tweaks you've suggested and upload the results. Let's see what happens and thanks again for the tips.

@mb3195 I bought the the minidsp when the graph wasn't as good... I should really send it back when it arrives... but I'm seriously tempted to try and integrate the two REL subs - they're so tight and offer impact beyond their size... just thought it would be interesting to do the 1 input 4 out thing on the minidsp. Do you think I'm wasting my time?

Have you modelled four subs in room sim? It could work if you have the placement options.

I'd use either the minidsp or the SVS app though, not both. Applying multiple layers of EQ can give unpredictable results.

@conrad I'll make the tweaks you've suggested and upload the results. Let's see what happens and thanks again for the tips.

@mb3195 I bought the the minidsp when the graph wasn't as good... I should really send it back when it arrives... but I'm seriously tempted to try and integrate the two REL subs - they're so tight and offer impact beyond their size... just thought it would be interesting to do the 1 input 4 out thing on the minidsp. Do you think I'm wasting my time?

worth a go if you‘ve got the spare subs, but if only using 2 then I don’t think you’ll get much benefit as your graph looks good.

mod course, if you decide to use it for BassEQ then it’s a different matter entirely. Normally I’m not that fussed about it, but on certain films it’s literally transforms the soundtrack, Thor Ragnorak being a prime example.

Not modelled the room in the room sim, wouldn't now where to start. All four subs are across the front sound stage at the moment. SVS in each corner. REL, sat in the middle doing nothing. Ideally I'd like to leave them there as their all hidden away in a stage. There is a way change I could move one of the RELs to the back left of the room, behind the seating, it's where my old SVS PC13 Ultra used to sit and that sounded great.

Wow - great looking FR! Doesn't get much better than that - really excellent work with REW and the PEQs.

Not modelled the room in the room sim, wouldn't now where to start. All four subs are across the front sound stage at the moment. SVS in each corner. REL, sat in the middle doing nothing. Ideally I'd like to leave them there as their all hidden away in a stage. There is a way change I could move one of the RELs to the back left of the room, behind the seating, it's where my old SVS PC13 Ultra used to sit and that sounded great.

It's super simple. Click the room sim button in REW and the tell it how large your room is (you might need to adjust to make it a rectangle), then place your mains, your seating position, and your subs, enter the details of each and the crossover and you can play with locations and delays to see what sort of response you'll get.

If they're all next to each other then you're really co-locating and you won't get much of a benefit to smooth the response, but you will get more output. It depends how far apart they are. If you have the option to move them though, that could be really good.

@Conrad. I've had another tweak tonight to get to the following - as discussed I've increase things around 20hz for a bit more impact on the low end, but also managed to improve the null around 190hz by doing as you said and not bothering with the dip at 90 in the PEQ. The files are here for you to have a look if you fancy. Thanks again for the tips. About to see what it sounds like. J

For conrad 2.jpg

Green is as above.
Yellow is the tweaks from tonight.

MDAT file here: For Conrad 2.mdat

Thanks

Weird that fixing that 90 dip with such a narrow filter would affect over an octave up, but it looks like it's improved things, and you're not wasting amp effort boosting that 90Hz null. That's a great contender for a third sub to fix though.

Bottom end looks a little healthier too. I'd live with that for a while and see how you get on.

Well I got the MiniDSP and spent 3 hours trying to integrate the 4 subs two REL, two SVS and I couldn't get it to be better and two SVS with PEQ on the app. It's probably me, not the DSP. But there you go I ran out of talent, time and patience. So i went back to the drawing board with the SVS, had another crack at it. I think it looks better than before with better crossover and integration with Jamo THX Ones. Graph below if you're interested.

After MiniDSP Cock Up.jpg

I watched Water the film with the dark blue sweep settings, though good, it just energised the room too much and that annoys me. It doesn't add anything to the movie IMO to hear the room rattle or the toilet door in the next room reach it's natural resonance. So I've back it off below 20hz. I also think I've got a better result from 100 to 200 hz overall. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Cheers. J

Like a donkey, I forgot to turn the amp back to having two subs... the above is one SVS PB2000 Pro, just shows what you can do with one sub... I've now added the second sub, slightly better but not game changing in terms of response. Dark green two subs, light green as above - one sub.

two subs.jpg

That's a lovely response. Scaling, ideally, should be 5dB increments, but you're +-5 all the way from 18 to about 190.

Most people prefer a slightly rising response to match our hearing's sensitivity to lower frequencies, but if you've found a response that works well for you then awesome.

Sorry forgot to do 5db increments - revised graph below, also turn on the sweep that shows where I've dialed it back at the bottom end in blue, single in grey, what I'm going with in red.
5 DB increments Sunday.jpg

Just watched the race scene from RP1 and my god, what a difference. After being into home cinema since 92 when my dad bought a Marantz SP50 to decode Dolby Surround on VHS. This is the first time I'm actually happy with the sound. Tight, not overwhelming and huge amounts of impact. Watched a bit of John Wick 3 too, amazing, each gun sounds so different when setup properly. I've come to realise that REW and a calibrated mic are actually one of the most important bits of kit in any home cinema setup kit. About to donate to REW. Very happy. Give it 48 hours and i'll be tweaking it again...

IMG_1536.jpg

Couldn't agree more. It's a learning curve and a not inconsiderable amount of effort, but I feel that if you're dropping four figures on subs, you really owe it to yourself to understand them and get them set up right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom