SVS PC-2000 Pro Subwoofer Review & Comments

Doesn't look bad if you ask me. For anybody who's actually interested to see what they look like.
It does look good in your room mate.
Please don't get offended it's just some light humour, everyone has their own views.
For years I had Monitor audio shadow speakers around my tv, they are fairly flat wall hung ones.
9 times out of 10 when I posted a picture of my setup I'd get a good ripping about how terrible they look lol, but I liked them and that's all that mattered to me.
No offence meant just getting the craic.
:):love:

It does look good in your room mate.
Please don't get offended it's just some light humour, everyone has their own views.
For years I had Monitor audio shadow speakers around my tv, they are fairly flat wall hung ones.
9 times out of 10 when I posted a picture of my setup I'd get a good ripping about how terrible they look lol, but I liked them and that's all that mattered to me.
No offence meant just getting the craic.
:):love:

Haha I don't mind mate, it was actually pretty funny at first with the images of the bins 😂 but then it just went on 🙄. I love opinions, otherwise everybody would have the same stuff. 👍🏻

I'm trying to get the 5th Gen MA Golds in white passed the wife next. 😂

I'm trying to get the 5th Gen MA Golds in white passed the wife next. 😂
Thanks mate :)
Don't give up on the wife, I finally managed to get a 65" tv after years of 55" oleds and now a year later I'm finally allowed a 77" monster.
Slow and steady wins the race :D

Doesn't look bad if you ask me. For anybody who's actually interested to see what they look like.
I think that dispels the myth that they are ugly. Looks really good and better than a cube subwoofer especially the mini fridge sized ones in your room. In isolation and on a screen they do look like a bin but in your room it looks really smart. I think a lot of people are missing the point. £850 (black ash top) for a sub with 550 watts and a lot more peak, with 16hz +/-3db and an app to control it is actually very cheap. Elac is the only sub with an eq app for less, at about £550 but it isn’t beautiful and gets down to only 24hz ish. Arendal have just released the new Sub1 in mattish black for about £1k that also has an app. That is really it’s only main competition but the svs is 15% cheaper. A monolith for a £200 less can perform similarly to the svs if you run rew when looking at specs but the monolith is a more intrusive box and the svs will be a hell of a lot easier to tune in the room as you can assess and adjust from the listening seat on the fly.

Ah, this takes me back to when I imported a couple of 20-39 PC-Plus for me and @Phil Hinton from the US, before SVS had a distributor in the UK. Mine worked (and still does work) brilliantly, but Phil's was very disappointing. All we could think was that the downward firing driver didn't work well in his first floor room with floorboards.

@raduv1 Pah! That's a very old joke, it's hardly the first time that someone has said something similar about a cylindrical SVS subwoofer! The subtitle to this Tech Radar review of my PC12-Plus subwoofer says: "It's not a tiger's scratching post, it's a sub".

Was not meant as a joke as I've always chosen my sub of choice with our pets in mind . Used to be DF subs only but I've always had issues controlling them as inclosed on three sides where I have to position it . Then along comes SVS with a FF sub with a metal grill that sorted out both issues I had :smashin: .

I thought this was awesome till I saw pictures of it next to people and things. This review could really have done with a perspective photo, next to a person or in a home theatre setup.

I still think it looks kinda awesome, but i'd have to think twice about having it in my setup. It's just so big. Review made me want... photos made me consider.

I thought this was awesome till I saw pictures of it next to people and things. This review could really have done with a perspective photo, next to a person or in a home theatre setup.

I still think it looks kinda awesome, but i'd have to think twice about having it in my setup. It's just so big. Review made me want... photos made me consider.

To be honest You'd have to demo it really amyway, and obviously view it purely down to its love/hate looks.

I actually went to buy s BK Monalith, I couldn't believe the size of it, it was absolutely huge, I then seen this whilst there and listened to both. One winner.

If you google it on images you'll get plenty of images. Also depends where you can place it. It tried them both in between the TV and Towers, it looked ridiculous, so now I have them opposite corners.

I had my first on the back wall but I got to much localised bass which I hate. So I bought the other for the front wall. It was perfect then.

Just check the DIY guys and their cylinder woofers. :D

19891d1267982189-diy-subwoofer-questions-small-back.jpg

5858573_f1024.jpg

I've never been able to understand a tiny screen with massive speakers. That image above tops anything I've seen :rotfl:

Okay, so I'm probably in a field of one here, but why are so many Subwoofers in black only? Doesn't matter if they're in Gloss or Matte, they're still black and automatically hideous!

Look, I know the concept is that they're meant to go in dedicated Home Cinema rooms that have black walls, black carpets and black out blinds on the windows (or no windows at all) so you're not distracted from the screen, but many of us don't want that look.

We have ordinary living rooms with sofas and lights and pictures and reflections, so the last thing we want is some gigantic black object dominating the whole space. BK have this spot on: offer Subs in different finishes that look like furniture, that blend in, that look attractive and harmonious in their own right.

My own Sub is a Monitor Audio Gold W15 in Rosewood with a white driver. It's remarkably compact too considering it has a 15" driver - 45 cm x 42 cm x 40 cm (HWD) and its aesthetics is part of the reason why I chose it. Yes, I probably took a performance hit compared to a SVS or Velodyne, but it's important to me to have something attractive to look at even when it's not actually on.

People often post on this site about having to "sneak" things past their partners. Well, perhaps there'd be less sneaking if we were offered more attractive finishes!

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm probably in a field of one here, but why are so many Subwoofers in black only? Doesn't matter if they're in Gloss or Matte, they're still black and automatically hideous!

Look, I know the concept is that they're meant to go in dedicated Home Cinema rooms that have black walls, black carpets and black out blinds on the widows (or no windows at all) so you're not distracted from the screen, but many of us don't want that look.

We have ordinary living rooms with sofas and lights and pictures and reflections, so the last thing we want is some gigantic black object dominating the whole space. BK have this spot on: offer Subs in different finishes that look like furniture, that blend in, that look attractive and harmonious in their own right.

My own Sub is a Monitor Audio Gold W15 in Rosewood with a white driver. It's remarkably compact too considering it has a 15" driver - 45 cm x 42 cm x 40 cm (HWD) and its aesthetics is part of the reason why I chose it. Yes, I probably took a performance hit compared to a SVS or Velodyne, but it's important to me to have something attractive to look at even when it's not actually on.

People often post on this site about having to "sneak" things past their partners. Well, perhaps there'd be less sneaking if we were offered more attractive finishes!
My last sub is a monitor audio in natural real oak finish, I love it and looks great sitting under an oak side table.
don’t use it now though so will probably bang it on eBay.
cant really use speakers anymore as creates too much noise, my young daughters bedroom backs onto the living rm so can never turn it up unfortunately.

In this respect you are indeed in a field of one. Black or dark grey, like my Tannoy TS12's, are the best colours for subwoofers! :)

Look, I know the concept is that they're meant to go in dedicated Home Cinema rooms that have black walls, black carpets and black out blinds on the widows
Well, I know that women often don't agree with their husbands' AV purchases, but killing the husbands does sound a bit drastic .....

The husbands can't sneak from heaven ......

Look, I know the concept is that they're meant to go in dedicated Home Cinema rooms that have black walls, black carpets and black out blinds on the widows (or no windows at all) so you're not distracted from the screen, but many of us don't want that look.

Yup have to agree with the amount of finishrs one can get on purchasing a BK sub is second to none I believe . Build quality and product range is also right up there .

Being a living room set up and my SVS in full view I had to take into account its visual presence. The set up before this I could match the BK sub to my surrounds and room .
20200708_152326.jpg

In this respect you are indeed in a field of one. Black or dark grey, like my Tannoy TS12's, are the best colours for subwoofers! :)

Well, I know that women often don't agree with their husbands' AV purchases, but killing the husbands does sound a bit drastic .....

The husbands can't sneak from heaven ......
Thanks - edited appropriately!

@Derek S-H Ha-ha, and going back to the last paragraph of your post #61, I'm sure that you yourself are always in a very attractive finish, so you never have to sneak yourself past your wife, boom-boom!

On page 1 of this thread:

I'm sure it's an amazing sub, but who wants a black 40l kitchen bin in the corner of their living room?
View attachment 1329472

I have three cylindrical SVS subs (all either one and two rungs up the SVS hierarchy over this one), and none of them are in the corner. They are all between the television and either the front left or front right speakers.

Does it look less bin like if not in the corner?
That is indeed correct, Madam.

Not much space for mugs of tea and coffee to be placed on top.
Yeah, bummer, that! Still, less room on top in the cylinder subwoofers means less chance of mugs of hot liquid accidentally going down the two open ports of each of my PC12-Plus and PC13-Ultra subwoofers!

Great review. Still leaves me wondering how much better the Pro is over the original though. I'm guessing it is an improvement, but only by a small margin and not worth upgrading to.

Have a PC12 Plus myself and it's freaking awesome. Sometimes I get the upgrade itch and move towards a PC4000. And then I come to my senses and realize how much quality bass it gives me and I don't even run it at its fullest. Had a pb2000 before that and a SB13 Ultra. Ported is where it's at for me and the pro seems like a nice step up from the regular 2000 series.

That's the issue, gentlemen. Nobody doubts that the new Pro version will be better than the original, but by enough to justify the not inconsiderable expense of replacing the old with the new? Two years ago I asked the same reviewer Mr Steve Withers a similar question when he reviewed the SVS PB-4000 subwoofer, was it sufficiently better than the outgoing SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer to justify replacement? Read the last paragraph of my post #2 and the last paragraph of his response #3.

Yeah, bummer, that! Still, less room on top in the cylinder subwoofers means less chance of mugs of hot liquid accidentally going down the two open ports of each of my PC12-Plus and PC13-Ultra subwoofers!

Perhaps a hat could make it more discreet and less tempting as a side table.

s-l1600-1.jpg

@CaroleBaskin I'm not sure about that hat, and if you use the subwoofer in Extended mode then two of the three ports will be open, not plugged. Placing the hat over the grill and impeding the air flow from the ports will cause very audible chuffing, and I found out about two years ago when I accidentally left a small pile of papers on top of my parlour PC13- Ultra!

And by the way, that's a very unusual location for a subwoofer, in the middle of the room ..... Wonder what the acoustics are like from there ....

Last edited:
Monitor audio, damn dude you could of got a real sub
Do you mean me?

I don't actually know what a "real" Subwoofer is. I mean, I think the one I have in the circumstances I live in (a flat in a purpose-built block) is fine for my needs, and it keeps the neighbours onside too.

When I move to my dream detached house, then I can look at replacing it with something more terrifying, but at least what I have is better than nothing at all.:)

Last edited:

Look, I know the concept is that they're meant to go in dedicated Home Cinema rooms that have black walls, black carpets and black out blinds on the windows (or no windows at all) so you're not distracted from the screen, but many of us don't want that look.

Good point about the appearance having a value. Tbh you should be able to have whatever sub/s you want. Missus gets the decision on most rooms and av is up to me. Just counter with a demand for your wardrobe space back! I can stack the designer handbags and make loads more storage space! oh so the svs pb16 is ok now then? Thought so. 😂

I had a couple of cylinder subs. What's great is they take very little floor space. About same space as a rel storm.

Try and find a boxed sub 20hz native port tune in 16" diameter.

The boxed versions of my svs cylinders were massive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom