SVS PC-2000 Pro Subwoofer Review & Comments

I know this might seem quite trivial to many on here, you know, the colour of an item, but I think most companies do extensive market research about what consumers want and design and form factor does matter to many.

Let's face it, big Subwoofers are huge and dominating. Even SVS know this which is why they're offering this different shape that might blend into your surroundings more successfully without compromising performance.

I know @SonOfSJ is perfectly happy with either black, white or silver as options, but is he single? If so, then that makes life a lot easier!;) Joking aside, there is a market for 10" Subs (or smaller) and if there's demand for those then I see no reason why there can't be demand for a range of finishes as well.

Most British living rooms are fairly modest in size which you have to share with other furniture, plus your TV, AV rack and speakers (and possibly even a bed!). Unless you have a huge room and/or cubbyholes and/or flat panel speakers, then a Sub will nearly always dominate. I personally don't have a problem with that aesthetic and I would pursue it if I didn't have any neighbours, but I would still prefer a different finish other than black.

Last edited:
Why is the port hole on the same side as the plate amp? I'd want the port facing towards me, the plate amp against the wall.

Let's face it, big Subwoofers are huge and dominating.
Most British living rooms are fairly modest in size which you have to share with other furniture, plus your TV, AV rack and speakers (and possibly even a bed!).
To be fair I didn't realise the massive size difference between a 10"and 12" sub. When my new sub arrived it looked huge. I remember desperately hoping that the huge box was for protection.

To be fair I didn't realise the massive size difference between a 10"and 12" sub. When my new sub arrived it looked huge. I remember desperately hoping that the huge box was for protection.
You know, as well as the non-black finish, another factor in choosing my Sub was its compact dimensions.

It has a 15" driver but doesn't look any bigger overall than one with a 12" driver, I don't quite know how Monitor Audio has done it.

Interestingly, they've dropped the sole 15" driver from their current range and offer twin 12" drivers instead, one FF and one DF, which is probably the equivalent of one 15" driver.

And BK offer their Double Gem model which is tall but slim, so there are different ways to tackle the same issue: size versus performance in an average British living room.

Of course I would love a monster Subwoofer! But if my neighbours are constantly banging on the door and asking me to turn it down, then it all becomes a bit pointless owning one, especially if you can't really crank it up. I so envy the posters who live in detached houses, I would love to have that freedom.

You know, as well as the non-black finish, another factor in choosing my Sub was its compact dimensions.

It has a 15" driver but doesn't look any bigger overall than one with a 12" driver, I don't quite know how Monitor Audio has done it.

Interestingly, they've dropped the sole 15" driver from their current range and offer twin 12" drivers instead, one FF and one DF, which is probably the equivalent of one 15" driver.

And BK offer their Double Gem model which is tall but slim, so there are different ways to tackle the same issue: size versus performance in an average British living room.

Of course I would love a monster Subwoofer! But if my neighbours are constantly banging on the door and asking me to turn it down, then it all becomes a bit pointless owning one, especially if you can't really crank it up. I so envy the posters who live in detached houses, I would love to have that freedom.
What I found was that my 12" sub enabled me to have good bass even at lower volumes

This was posted on another thread on this form when i was looking to buy my sub but useful for comparison for sizing.
full.jpg

When i tried to convince the missus that it wasn't too big, i did hold a tape measure and state "it's this tall, this wide and will stick out this far". she was still shocked when it turned up but she's fine now.

That's the issue, gentlemen. Nobody doubts that the new Pro version will be better than the original, but by enough to justify the not inconsiderable expense of replacing the old with the new? Two years ago I asked the same reviewer Mr Steve Withers a similar question when he reviewed the SVS PB-4000 subwoofer, was it sufficiently better than the outgoing SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer to justify replacement? Read the last paragraph of my post #2 and the last paragraph of his response #3.

Its just an improvement, but I certainly would not exchange an pc2000 for an pro if I already owned a regular 2000. Money wasted imo. But I'm a set and forget subwoofer user. If one was to temper with the settings on a regular basis, the app features will come in handy and might be reason to go for a pro regardless of the sidestep in sound improvement.

This was posted on another thread on this form when i was looking to buy my sub but useful for comparison for sizing.

When i tried to convince the missus that it wasn't too big, i did hold a tape measure and state "it's this tall, this wide and will stick out this far". she was still shocked when it turned up but she's fine now.
Yeah I've seen that picture. I'm glad I bought an FF and not a DF, also glad I didn't get a Monolith. Look at the size of that thing.

I did and i'm glad of it. Once i got the balance right and stopped rattling the windows it was all good.

Interesting review. I’m very tempted. My MA W10 is ok, but never wowed me like my Velodyne CHT12 did. I think this would look good in my setup. As long as it makes me sick in the stomach then it will be all good 😂👍

Interesting review. I’m very tempted. My MA W10 is ok, but never wowed me like my Velodyne CHT12 did. I think this would look good in my setup. As long as it makes me sick in the stomach then it will be all good 😂👍

Placement was key I found, on the rear wall the bass was so localised I hated it, i find them much better on the front wall either corners. Literally shakes the doors.

Placement was key I found, on the rear wall the bass was so localised I hated it, i find them much better on the front wall either corners. Literally shakes the doors.
Hahaha that is not good either. Only want to bring the house down in a figure of speech 🤣

Yes for placement I was thinking that it fits nicely to the right of our screen (on top of a cabinet) but to the left of the main front right speaker. Are they best in a corner or is it ok to have them by the wall?

Hahaha that is not good either. Only want to bring the house down in a figure of speech 🤣

Yes for placement I was thinking that it fits nicely to the right of our screen (on top of a cabinet) but to the left of the main front right speaker. Are they best in a corner or is it ok to have them by the wall?

Haha its only when I play at high levels. But some stuff can shake the doors 😂

All depends on you're room layout, every room is different, you'd just have to experiment. I personally didn't like the look of it when its in between the TV and Speakers so I wouldn't have it their even if it was better. They look fine in corners in the right room and sound well in my room.

Pros

• Deep bass performance
  • Controlled and responsive
  • Flexible setup and control
  • Effective remote app
  • Great build quality
  • Smaller footprint than ported model
  • its not £1000

It's a bin that hums at 20Hz when you put rubbish in it :p it thumps when it's full.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom