SVS sb3000 or Dali K14

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

I currently have a Dali K14 (specs here: DALI SUB K-14 F - A part of the EISA award winning OPTICON 5.1 Set-up)

It has some really deep sounding bass, but at times can be quite boomy.

I have recently got a test SVS SB3000 (specs here:

Switching between the two, the Dali still sounds deeper (I'm using a sure fire test of the Dark Knight in the tunnel scene, when the Batmoblie spins round having to ramming the dumpster. Always goes deeper).

This has surprised me as I thought the SVS was meant to be better.

Would welcome your own thoughts on it.
\
James

Might be worth contacting Ricky at Kalibrate about that PSA S1811 he has taken as a trade in which should be less than the SVS SB3000.

I would think it has a warranty and should show the SB3000 a clean pair of heels as it has an 18" driver.

@JamesP1701 how large is your room? You have three threads, bit hard to keep up. :)

If you don´t have small room then small sealed sub ain´t going to give you the impact with the deep stuff. You are comparing ported and sealed models. Ported sub often gives bit more impact and if you have larger space then it would be more ideal choice. So example from the same serie PB3000 would be very much different beast.

Did you run ARC again and put the subwoofer in same position as K14? For small sealed sub front corner is often highly recommended.

@JamesP1701 how large is your room? You have three threads, bit hard to keep up. :)

If you don´t have small room then small sealed sub ain´t going to give you the impact with the deep stuff. You are comparing ported and sealed models. Ported sub often gives bit more impact and if you have larger space then it would be more ideal choice. So example from the same serie PB3000 would be very much different beast.

Did you run ARC again and put the subwoofer in same position as K14? For small sealed sub front corner is often highly recommended.
I actually need to measure the room....

They've been in the same place for testing.

D'y know, I always thought the Dali was sealed. Clearly I've completely misunderstood! Since the svs is sealed, what makes that sealed and the Dali not?

I actually need to measure the room....

They've been in the same place for testing.

D'y know, I always thought the Dali was sealed. Clearly I've completely misunderstood! Since the svs is sealed, what makes that sealed and the Dali not?

Tape measure the room so we have some kind of idea and also tell if it opens to another space without doors.

Are you sure the SVS is level matched to your speakers with Anthem ARC Genesis setup similar way as Dali? Clearly using the app it´s bit different to setup so check the manual carefully if you aren`t sure.

Dali K14, port firing to floor :
115452_-_dali_sub_k-14_f_cutthrough.jpg

SVS SB3000 fully sealed cab.

Diagram_262501_1.JPG

Hi @JamesP1701,
Could I ask where you were able to get a test SVS from in the UK?
Thanks!

Premium Sound. Victor there has been really helpful.

If you have tweaked the sub and still doesn´t give what you are looking for, could Victor lend you the larger ported model assuming you can fit one in your room?

Would still want to hear about your room and have you tried the subs in other spot etc. As you have Anthem ARC you could share us the before graph too.

I don't know too much about Dali speakers but am using SVS SB-3000 for a long now and extremely satisfied with its quality.

That Dali is ported, and cabinet size is way too small,.in fact at that size it should be sealed box! Poor frequency response too.

Look at the specs. Bk electronics have better offerings at better prices

Bk lack the many useful features of svs subs.

Also issues with humming and buzzing psu, and noise when crossover isn't disabled has plagued bk subs for a while.

Svs are no longer value for money, I owned svs and back then nothing can touch them.

Compare features of my sb12+ and sbu13 ultra and no bk subs have them. Ie high pass, room compensation, peq, variable high pass and slope etc

the Dali still sounds deeper
Hi James, I know the thread is three years old and it is not my meaning to question your subjective experience, but I own the Sub K-14 F and measured in my room the response literally drops vertically towards zero below 26 Hz (-3 dB is 29Hz). The become virtually silent below 20Hz (response is below the ambient noise floor) while my closed B&W ASW750 in the same position delivers 88 dB at 18 Hz from the same input. Everything measured using calibrated gear and analyzed using REW.

In other words I suspect that what makes it feel like the Dali going deeper than the SB3000 must be the room shaking levels it can produce from 35 Hz and up.
The Dali corrected by a Anti-Mode does sound really good when listening to music, though, so I really like it, it just doesn't deliver any subsonic rumble.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom