Question Swap KEF Coda IIIs for Mission QX-2s?

Monster900

At the moment we are using KEF Coda IIIs that my wife bought in 1985 or thereabouts. In those days she liked her music loud but these days we both prefer a quieter life.

The KEFs sound pretty OK at highish volumes but what we are finding is that they really don't like being played at low volumes, the bass just falls away completely. I am thinking of replacing the KEFs with Mission QX-2s specifically because What HiFi says they play well at both low and high volumes. Also the Missions seem to get almost universally good reviews in other aspects of their performance too.

Do the people here think that this would be a good swap?

dogfonos

It's not uncommon for passive sealed box speakers, like the KEF Coda iii (I think), to need a bit of driving to produce convincing bass. I would expect the ported Mission QX-2 to produce more bass with greater extension too - and it should do this at lower volumes than the KEF, despite having a smaller bass/mid driver (I think).

If you listen in a large room (say > 25sqm or thereabouts), neither of these speakers will likely give an accurate tonality (both will probably sound bass-light and lacking impact - not so in a smaller room).

I've not heard either of these speakers although I've listened to the KEF's predecessor, the Coda ii and don't have particularly fond memories - maybe the Coda iii was/is better? It's hard to imagine the Coda iii sounding better than the Missions QX-2 yet speakers divide opinions, probably more than any other music playback component. Could you get to hear them before purchase or at least purchase from a seller offering a money-back or exchange deal if they're not to your taste.

Monster900

It's not uncommon for passive sealed box speakers, like the KEF Coda iii (I think), to need a bit of driving to produce convincing bass. I would expect the ported Mission QX-2 to produce more bass with greater extension too - and it should do this at lower volumes than the KEF, despite having a smaller bass/mid driver (I think).

If you listen in a large room (say > 25sqm or thereabouts), neither of these speakers will likely give an accurate tonality (both will probably sound bass-light and lacking impact - not so in a smaller room).

I've not heard either of these speakers although I've listened to the KEF's predecessor, the Coda ii and don't have particularly fond memories - maybe the Coda iii was/is better? It's hard to imagine the Coda iii sounding better than the Missions QX-2 yet speakers divide opinions, probably more than any other music playback component. Could you get to hear them before purchase or at least purchase from a seller offering a money-back or exchange deal if they're not to your taste.
Thanks for your comments.

Unfortunately I live out in the sticks in Wales and it is not really practical to go out to listen to them beforehand. So I am probably going to have to take a bit of a punt on these but I have found a supplier that seems to have a good returns policy. The room is about 16 sqm and fairly square with it, so hopefully that should be OK.

Unless someone says something here which is a bit of a show stopper I think I am going to order these tomorrow morning.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom