Swap Shop Question

Would you use a swap shop online website?

• Yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

DannyS1982

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of starting a swap shop website and was asking for some feedback of whether you think you would use 1 or not?

The idea would you you list a game game with what game/genre of game your looking for in return and then people can bid/offer.

Any feedback what so ever would be grateful.

Thanks

Sort of. But more like eBay. You could list a game. I could offer game or a game and money. Obviously not all games are worth the same
Yeah thats what you can do on here in trade so the same.

Perhaps study that and see if there is the numbers in it to see if its worth doing.

So much stuff to think of when doing this though.

Nope, no thanks. Can't swap or sell my Digital Games.

And if I was to with Physical then I would use this site or use CEX and get Game to price match. Would avoid ebay and any other site similar to it like the plague !

I buy most of my new games digitally so it's unlikely a service I'd use.

I remember a site called Goozex that did something similar (swap games with others). Seemed popular in the US for a time and I think someone franchised/licensed the name for use in Europe but the site shut down for some reason (not sure about the status of it in the US).

Personally I'd stick to trading on here because the Trading Profiles/Feedback count for a lot in trusting people. You'll want to give consideration to how you would moderate issues that would undoubtedly arise when a game gets lost in the post, or isn't in the condition described - something I think AVF deals with admirably.

Personally I'd stick to trading on here because the Trading Profiles/Feedback count for a lot in trusting people. You'll want to give consideration to how you would moderate issues that would undoubtedly arise when a game gets lost in the post, or isn't in the condition described - something I think AVF deals with admirably.

I would incorporate feedback and trust levels within the site. With the increase in digital games I'm thinking is there actually a market for this.

I think with the publishers and retailers trying to push us to digital media you're wasting your time.
It's like video shops, they don't really exist anymore and for good reason.
If it was me I'd shelve that idea and focus on something else

I think with the publishers and retailers trying to push us to digital media you're wasting your time.
It's like video shops, they don't really exist anymore and for good reason.
If it was me I'd shelve that idea and focus on something else

That's my only concern to be honest. I could make it to protect the customers so people don't lose out. Just finding out if there is a market for this.

That's my only concern to be honest. I could make it to protect the customers so people don't lose out. Just finding out if there is a market for this.

Protection and feedback etc are all things you can implement but you need a customer base first, and TBH with sites like this that have free well moderated classifieds where will your customers come from?

Protection and feedback etc are all things you can implement but you need a customer base first, and TBH with sites like this that have free well moderated classifieds where will your customers come from?

I wouldn't necessary target people from forums such as this. Family's with kids etc who will go through a lot of games. Maybe just casual gamers.

I wouldn't necessary target people from forums such as this. Family's with kids etc who will go through a lot of games. Maybe just casual gamers.

But the people on the forums are your market. Families with kids who get through a lot of games will generally trade on the high street. How many parents who know nothing about gaming walk straight into Game and get fleeced? The people that'll find and use your service are bound to already be active elsewhere on the Internet and will either use existing classifieds with a larger audience or something like eBay

I see your problem as actually getting enough physical users to be able to feasibly set up the trades.

In my opinion a massive headache for something that's potentially going to be massively under-utilised and ultimately become a pain in the ass to administrate

But the people on the forums are your market. Families with kids who get through a lot of games will generally trade on the high street. How many parents who know nothing about gaming walk straight into Game and get fleeced? The people that'll find and use your service are bound to already be active elsewhere on the Internet and will either use existing classifieds with a larger audience or something like eBay

I see your problem as actually getting enough physical users to be able to feasibly set up the trades.

In my opinion a massive headache for something that's potentially going to be massively under-utilised and ultimately become a pain in the ass to administrate

I'm thinking of trades more than just buying games off people. Plenty of people aren't aware of forums like this. I was thinking of a dedicated webshop for easy and security

I'm with everyone else I'm afraid, I'm sure I've seen a couple of sites like this before that only lasted a short time, although I can't think of the names tbh.
Iirc one of them had both traders sending the games to them and then they sent them on to the other person.

As most people have said you have the people who trade in to cex and game etc, how would you make them aware of your service without a very expensive marketing campaign, even then I'm sure most wouldn't bother due to how long it would take to arrange a deal and wait on the post etc, when they can pop to the high street and return with a new game that same day.

Then you have the people who use forums etc, I can't see many wanting to have to pay a fee to do what they can do now for free.

As others have said, the move towards digital for more and more gamers makes this a non-starter in my eyes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom