Switch between 5.1.4 and 7.1?

SuperCow

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a Denon AVXR 4400H and can therefore support up to 10 channels. However I can get 12 speakers cabled in the room in the usual locations (Subwoofer, 2 front, 1 center, 2 surrounds, 2 surround backs and 4 overhead).
I know about the possibility to pre-amp to get a full 7.1.4 configuration but until I get to that I wanted to know if it's possible to specify two different speaker layouts (namely 5.1.4 for Atmos content and 7.1 for the rest) that I could alternate from via the receiver? Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

The speakers have to be configured within the receiver, ie, 5.1.4 or 7.1 with the speakers being in their correct position. It is possible but you would have to manually assign the speakers each time you changed. If you go for a 5.1.4 then you could by using the remote and drop down menu go for a 5.1 rather than the 5.1.4. However the upmixing by both Dolby Surround and Neural X are so good that I leave them engaged for all viewing.

Audyssey also becomes a problem as you should, for best result, run the EQ for the speakers that are in place, ie, 5.1.4. When you install rear surrounds and another amp then you would have to re-run Audyssey to cover 7.1.4.

I fail to see how you could change from 5.1.4 to 7.1 without physically moving the speakers.

Thanks for your answer.
To clarify, assume all 7.1.4 speakers are already installed in their final place (no plan to move any of them!).
The problem is that I don't have a 12 channel receiver (like the AVR-X6400H), thus I'm stuck with either:
* Install a 2-speaker amp and pre-amp the two missing channels (probably surround ones) for a full 7.1.4 config.
* Switch the receive between 5.1.4 mode and 7.1 mode for non-Atmos content.

I think you bring a good point about the Audyssey calibration supporting a single speaker configuration. Even if it was easy to switch the setting on the receiver I certainly don't want to run calibration again every time I switch!

Thanks for your answer.
To clarify, assume all 7.1.4 speakers are already installed in their final place (no plan to move any of them!).
The problem is that I don't have a 12 channel receiver (like the AVR-X6400H), thus I'm stuck with either:
* Install a 2-speaker amp and pre-amp the two missing channels (probably surround ones) for a full 7.1.4 config.
* Switch the receive between 5.1.4 mode and 7.1 mode for non-Atmos content.

I think you bring a good point about the Audyssey calibration supporting a single speaker configuration. Even if it was easy to switch the setting on the receiver I certainly don't want to run calibration again every time I switch!

You'd only need to add a 2 channel power amp or stereo integrated amplifier with HT bypass. You don't need a pre amp. The AVRX4400 only has 9 channels of integral amplification, but 11 channels of processing. This means that you can facilitate up to a 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 configuration out of the box or a full 7.1.4 setup if you add 2 additional channels of external amplification.

Last edited:
For external amplification I would certainly go with an integrated stereo amp to drive the front stereo speakers. Apart from the centre they are going to carry the majority of sound and by getting an amp with HT bypass then stereo music for sources connected directly to it will sound a lot better than that achieved by a receiver. I would certainly not ditch my stereo amp in favour of a one box solution.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom