Eugene Zekai

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been an avid follower of AVForums and frequently used reviews here for my work (i work for Samsung field force) but this will be my very first post.

Long story short, I have had a K950 for some time now but hissing sound + quite rears with tv arc has been driving me insane. While running xbox one x with dolby atmos upmix, it fixes those problems but even subwoofer - 6 at 20% volume bar is too boomy & dialogues are not clear.

My partner finally gave me permission for a dedicated home cinema system as long as i don't get floor-standing speakers. I have a budget of £1000 but i rather get a decent amp with barebone set of speakers that i can upgrade in the future. Alternatively i can pick up a N950 for £800 but i think i had enough with soundbars (previously owned LG SJ9, Sony NT-5 & Samsung MS650).

I am no expert in AVR setups but here is what i am looking for at the moment:

1) Pioneer LX-303 - £500
2) Onkyo TX-NR686 £350
3) Sony STR-DN1080 £400

For speakers i have no clue. There are few recommended bundles at whathifi's website but i don't know about upgradeability or what to match. At the moment only limiting factor is no floor standers. It would be nice to have 5.1.4 or 5.1.2 upgradeability.

My current setup is quite basic. 55" Q8C ( soon to be replaced by 75"Q9FN) and xbox one x. There is a chance that i can pick up Samsung M9500 for £100 but not sure if its worth it. My living room is around 5m length x 3m width and open plan kitchen for another 2.5m in width.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Only the Pioneer would allow 5.1.4. The other two are limited to 5.1.2. The Sony will not allow the implementation of DTS X via in ceiling speakers, a real poor move by Sony. Onkyo's reliability is not great.

If you limit yourself to 5.1.2 to determine that it would be beneficial if you posted a plan of your room with possible speaker positions.

For your budget a Denon X3500 (7 channel amp) would give you the biggest bang for your buck as it was previously a £900 receiver. It has a far better EQ system on board than any of those on your list. Would be limited to 5.1.2.

Denon AVR-X3500H 7.2 Channel AV Receiver

I don't want to limit myself to 5.1.2 because it feels like i will be sacrificing too much from dolby atmos experience. It is highly unlikely my wife will let me go for 7.1. But due to budget it seems the only option other than Pioneer set.

There are no ceiling speakers, just atmos enabled cealing bouncy ones.

I can also push the main sofa back and use rear speakers like side speakers.

Here is a pro sketch of my living room

N2NbD0x

Attachments

• sketch-1567624007678.jpg
    sketch-1567624007678.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 52

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom