System Advice - Kef LS50 and Marantz SR7008 + Sub?

emmettmag

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a home theater room with acoustic treatment on all walls, double walls floors etc. that may effect the use of a sub.

I have ordered a pair of Kef LS50's to replace my mains which have powered subs in each. I am going for the clarity and punch of the KEF's and I am looking for opinions on a suitable sub to match them. I recently got the Kef LSX's for my computer room and they have put the bug in me to upgrade the main system.

I listen to a lot of surround music plus movies but I want to also enjoy 2.1 sound with the KEF's.

I am also going to rebuild my 104.2's in the guest suite now that I have the bug and the time. Staying in to stay healthy. (Except for golf)

Thanks for all opinions and interest.

Well I depends on what connection the subwoofer has. Some are very different. I would perhaps go for XTC 10 inch driver. They have both high line inputs and line in, LFE inputs, XLR inputs. You don’t say how big your room is? But regarding subs you have XTC, SVS ,Rel. I would perhaps get a subwoofer that is fast enough for both music, movies and can keep up with KEF punchy sound. Perhaps look at Sumiko subwoofer?

Well I depends on what connection the subwoofer has. Some are very different. I would perhaps go for XTC 10 inch driver. They have both high line inputs and line in, LFE inputs, XLR inputs. You don’t say how big your room is? But regarding subs you have XTC, SVS ,Rel. I would perhaps get a subwoofer that is fast enough for both music, movies and can keep up with KEF punchy sound. Perhaps look at Sumiko subwoofer?
Sorry for the omission on room size. It is 10.5 X 15.5 finished. There is acoustic fabric covering all walls, Upper half in side and front walls. The floor also has carpet over sound dampening rubber.

I’m no expert. Sorry if made that impression. But I would try different subwoofers and see. But I normally would not go under 10 inch drivers as bigger subwoofer well sound better. They can handle more pressure when you play loud. And I would experiment with digital eq from DSP to get best sound. Normally the best crossover settings is around 80 hz for small speakers. But your room seems well treated so perhaps no don’t need a digital eq. And two subwoofers we’ll also sound better then one as you are canceling bass null points in your room. Place your subwoofer either corners, ideally if can afford two. If one place it between your front speakers. Others experts well help soon.

I’m no expert. Sorry if made that impression. But I would try different subwoofers and see. But I normally would not go under 10 inch drivers as bigger subwoofer well sound better. They can handle more pressure when you play loud. And I would experiment with digital eq from DSP to get best sound. Normally the best crossover settings is around 80 hz for small speakers. But your room seems well treated so perhaps no don’t need a digital eq. And two subwoofers we’ll also sound better then one as you are canceling bass null points in your room. Place your subwoofer either corners, ideally if can afford two. If one place it between your front speakers. Others experts well help soon.
Thanks for your info. I live on an island and there are no decent audio shops left. Thanks for your info as it is much appreciated.

Hey there can you tell your room size in meters please? I’m Norwegian, so I didn’t get all you meant. But can only imagine since you bought the KEF LS50 you have modest pretty big room. Of course room size for many audiophiles don’t mean a thing. Many have huge speakers in a 5 meter depth room, 3 meter width, 3 meter height.

Sorry, we have meters but I am still thinking with the imperial system.

3.2 meters wide X 4.72 meters long 2.44 meters high on sides peaked in center at about 2.9 meters.

Thanks

Then I would add two subwoofers from respectable brand in the corners if you have room. The point with subwoofer is that they should be heard not felt/seen. Meaning it should seamlessly integrate with your KEF LS50 speakers. As all rooms have standing waves (boomy bass) . In a small room the sound well bounce off the walls, roof before it reaches your ears, But since you have pretty modest big room and treated well your frequency curve is properly pretty flat. A subwoofer well sound best in the corners, but there’s no optimal rules here. You need to place your subwoofer where you sit, then crawl on the floor and where you hear the best bass, boom there is where you place them. Set the crossover around 80hz and work from there to find the perfect mix between your speakers. Then adjust.volume, phase. If your going to listen both music, movies then subwoofer with a fast bass response is what I would chose. There are many options. But I would seriously consider a digital mini DSP eq to help you with the perfect subwoofer placement. Check your preferred subwoofer for all the connection you need to connect to your amplifier. Good luck. 👍.

And of course your since your Marantz SR7008 is a surround receiver with build in room correction the receiver we’ll automatically adjust the crossover settings in your receiver. So perhaps you don’t need to manually adjust your crossover settings then? I have only used subwoofer with a stereo amplifier, not a receiver. I’m sure other experts well soon help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom