T+A DAC 8 DAC and Digital Preamp Review & Comments

This DAC has been on my list for a long time.

The general consensus is that it really shines when fed an upsampled 512DSD,which needs a PC.

Last edited:
not in the market for this or anything like this. But.......... that remote......for 3k....... also very unique way of doing things

not in the market for this or anything like this. But.......... that remote......for 3k....... also very unique way of doing things

T+A regards the DAC8 as part of a stack. If you partner it with the MP8 (and the matching power amp if you want), you get a system driving remote that is rather nicer.

If you are using it on its own, the amount of times you need the remote is pretty low tbh.

Interesting review! I'm not sure how much money I would have to have to get that far into diminishing returns on DACs. Perhaps if I'd been lucky on Tuesday's Euromillions...

If you are using it on its own, the amount of times you need the remote is pretty low tbh.
I get all that, but....... after opening 3k box you would expect something better. When you open passenger door on a luxury car you are not greeted with 3 bricks instead of proper seat.
For me it's just about brand presentation, nothing more.

Interesting review! I'm not sure how much money I would have to have to get that far into diminishing returns on DACs. Perhaps if I'd been lucky on Tuesday's Euromillions...

£50 will you get a transparent DAC. Everything above that is your choice.

Just out of curiosity, how is it that a DAC with no network connection can be ‘Roon Ready’? How does your Roon Core ever know that it’s there? Surely all Roon would ever ‘see’ is whatever streaming client is attached to your network?

Just out of curiosity, how is it that a DAC with no network connection can be ‘Roon Ready’? How does your Roon Core ever know that it’s there? Surely all Roon would ever ‘see’ is whatever streaming client is attached to your network?

The profile of the DAC8; sample rate handling, DSD read process etc, is stored as a profile in Roon (along with a little line drawing so you know what it is). It simply means that Roon knows automatically what the DAC can and can't do.

This DAC has been on my list for a long time.

The general consensus is that it really shines when fed an upsampled 512DSD,which needs a PC.

I had one on loan for a while and agree, if your PC is up to it this DAC and HQPlayer is a phenomenal pairing! But not worth £3k IMHO!!

Last edited:
The profile of the DAC8; sample rate handling, DSD read process etc, is stored as a profile in Roon (along with a little line drawing so you know what it is). It simply means that Roon knows automatically what the DAC can and can't do.
OK thanks Ed, so I assume you have to tell Roon that's what DAC you've got? Roon automatically detects and recognises Roon Ready and Roon Tested devices that are on your network, so I was just trying to figure out how it knows that a device that isn't connected to the network is there and what it is.

DAC 8 DSD needs to be fed DSD512 from HQPlayer... do this and it's up there with Chord Dave. Testing it based on DSD64 won't show it to it's full potential.

My previously owned DACs Chord Hugo v1 -> Naim V1 -> Hugo 2 -> Hugo TT -> T+A DAC8 DSD.

I tested each DAC back to back before upgrading.

p.s. try the closed form or Sinc filters in HQPlayer. The closed form filter does 1million taps like the Chord M Scaler (there is also a 16million tap version). DAC 8 DSD just scales with the quality of the source.

Thread bump. This item is now replaced by the DAC 200. Big bump in components, capability and of course price

A UK retailer has listed one unit of the DAC 8 DSD on clearance for one third discount, now £2k. Still big money but may tempt someone 😎

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom