Puntoboy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I had my Sky Q 2TB V1 box replaced a couple of weeks ago due to an issue where it would lock up and be completely unresponsive.

Since getting the new V2 box installed I have been having an issue watching UHD content, be it live or on-demand. After a few minutes of watching, the screen would go blue with a message along the top saying "There is a technical issue which is preventing you from watching in Ultra HD, you are still able to watch in HD and SD programs. Please try again later. For help, press ?"

IMG_0192.jpg

I opened a call with Sky and on Thursday morning an engineer came round. I explained the issue to him and immediately talked about an issue he was aware of where some older TVs had compatibility issues with the V2 boxes. He then searched their system for references to the issue and note on their system saying I needed to ring LG (I have a C8 OLED) and get a firmware update for my TV. I called the number is gave and spoke to LG who told me this issue was never a problem with the OLEDs and that Sky's information is out of date. The Sky engineer then ran some more tests, re-terminated the Sky cables from the dish and left.

Over the last two days I've been talking to Sky again and they've had me trying other settings, most recently turning off HDMI control and SIMPLINK (CEC)) but nothing has worked. They have booked another engineer but the earliest he can attend is 19th November. That would be over 6 weeks from issue to resolution if they can fix it.

I am using the original Sky HDMI cable (with the pink end and Sky Logo) connected directly to HDMI port 1 on the TV. Deep colour is enabled on the TV.

I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? I don't really want to have to wait another 3 weeks at least for an engineer for him not even be able find the fault either.

So I'm left with the issue and neither Sky or LG want to take responsibility for it. To make matter worse, we move house on the 20th December (hopefully) and I can't book this until the current engineer visit is cancelled or completed and knowing how busy their engineers are I want to get this booked ASAP.

Not very helpful I know but, I have the same setup as you and have never had this problem. Have you done a full hard reset of both devices and have you tried a different HDMI cable? Also try a different HDMI port.

Not very helpful I know but, I have the same setup as you and have never had this problem. Have you done a full hard reset of both devices and have you tried a different HDMI cable? Also try a different HDMI port.

The new ky Q box, was obviously brand new. But I have tried resetting both devices. The HDMI cable was also brand new as well. This issue only appeared with the new Sky Q box.

Ok so last week another engineer and this time he swapped the V2 box with another and a new HDMI cable. However that's not fixed it either. It's still happening and makes any UHD programme really annoying to watch. :(

Moving house next month so I can't book another engineer but I was told that the engineer who fits the dish in the new house should also look at this issue. Shame no one knows how to fix it.

Just moved back to sky after a year with virgin. Previously uhd played normally. Now getting the same error message as you on a sony Bravia kid-55xd8005 tv so not an ”older tv” unless sky expect us to replace our TVs every year or so. Will call them in the morning to see what they have to say. Looks like a bigger issue than “ some older TVs with dodgy firmware

Just tried full reboot of both TV and sky q box (power off to both for ~5min). And seems to have fixed the issue. Will update if the issue returns.

Hey guys,

So the quickest fix we found for this actually came from the Sky support team on the phone. Follow these steps:
1) Press home
2) Go to settings
3) Go to Audio visual
4) Go to HDMI control and ensure it is switched to "off"

That should stop the issue!

Best of luck :)
Luke

Hey guys,

So the quickest fix we found for this actually came from the Sky support team on the phone. Follow these steps:
1) Press home
2) Go to settings
3) Go to Audio visual
4) Go to HDMI control and ensure it is switched to "off"

That should stop the issue!

Best of luck :)
Luke

Tried that. Two things. It doesn’t work for me and even if it did, thats a crap “fix”. Disabling features because of a software fault is not a fix.

Tried that. Two things. It doesn’t work for me and even if it did, thats a crap “fix”. Disabling features because of a software fault is not a fix.
That’s how sky work unfortunately

HDMI switching is generally speaking a bit of a lottery. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't It seems to depend a bit on the box/Amp/TV combo. There are countless pages about it on t'internet, mostly unresolved and the consensus seems to be that if it doesn't work properly on your set up, just switch it off. (as suggested)

Of course. They just don’t give a toss

that’s my experience as well

Thats just not good enough. I haven’t had the problem for over three years and suddenly they replace the box and I have a problem.
As above

Tell them you want a v1 box (or the new v3 box) or you'll cancel.

I haven’t heard of a V3 box? I only had my V2 installed a couple of months ago.

I am reluctant to go back to a V1. Whilst it played UHD content OK, you could tell it wasn’t really powerful enough for the job.

HDMI switching is generally speaking a bit of a lottery. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't It seems to depend a bit on the box/Amp/TV combo. There are countless pages about it on t'internet, mostly unresolved and the consensus seems to be that if it doesn't work properly on your set up, just switch it off. (as suggested)

And as I said, that “fix” doesn’t work for me.

And as I said, that “fix” doesn’t work for me.
Fair enough, but I was trying to point out the frequent incompatibility or partial compatibility of HDMI switching (by whatever name) between devices from different manufacturers.

Fair enough, but I was trying to point out the frequent incompatibility or partial compatibility of HDMI switching (by whatever name) between devices from different manufacturers.

Strange. Never had a problem with it and I’ve always have mixed equipment from different manufactures.

OK. You win:facepalm:

Someone replied to my topic on the Sky Q forum.

I'm getting the same issue. I have my sky box connected to the TV and my AV receiver connected to the ARC HDMI on the TV. It lets me watch UHD if the amp is off (sound coming through the TV) but if the amp is on, I get the same error message within a few minutes of playback.
So basically, I have the option of either UHD or Dolby Digital surround, but not both.
I've tried 8-bit and 10-bit, changing the sky box from dolby digital to dolby digital plus, different HDMI cables and different ports on the TV. (My amp isn't HDCP 2.2 compatible so I can't pass the UHD through the amp)

Interesting as my AV receiver is also the same but I haven't tried turning it off to see if it fixes the issue. I will try.

Confirmed. If I turn off my AV receiver (Pioneer VSX-S510) UHD works perfectly. I have now turned off ARC and removed the HDMI cable then used an Optical Cable from the TV to the receiver. This is now working well so for the time being I’ll use it like this. I’ll revisit when I upgrade my receiver for Atmos.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom