Everything in your signal path (Source, AVR, Switch, Extender, Display etc) needs to be able to support the signal format and HDCP protocol the Source is outputting.

The previous advice about disabling HDMI CEC is a good shout as that is often an issue - the problem being CEC does not have to be guaranteed to work across multiple brands, which is why eARC, unlike ARC, is now not reliant on CEC being enabled.

Good you have a 'fix' for now and possibly put eARC on the feature list of your next AVR as that could be important the next time you change your TV.

Joe

Everything in your signal path (Source, AVR, Switch, Extender, Display etc) needs to be able to support the signal format and HDCP protocol the Source is outputting.

The previous advice about disabling HDMI CEC is a good shout as that is often an issue - the problem being CEC does not have to be guaranteed to work across multiple brands, which is why eARC, unlike ARC, is now not reliant on CEC being enabled.

Good you have a 'fix' for now and possibly put eARC on the feature list of your next AVR as that could be important the next time you change your TV.

Joe

Seems that’s the biggest change with the Sky Q V2 box, it must be HDCP 2.2 only. My receiver is 1.4 so the old V1 box must have allowed it. Strange how the 6 or 7 people at Sky I spoke to weren’t aware of this.

Haven’t heard of eARC before. I’ll look into it. Thanks.

UHD would require HDCP2.2.

eARC - will allow an eARC enabled TV with multiple HDMI Input sockets to be a more viable ‘Hub’ of a system.

Joe

UHD would require HDCP2.2.

eARC - will allow an eARC enabled TV with multiple HDMI Input sockets to be a more viable ‘Hub’ of a system.

Joe

Well I’m lost then. I’ve had ARC and UHD working perfectly for a year before my Sky Q V1 box was replaced.

No need to be lost - more thankful :)

ARC can and does work - unfortunately for many folk it’s reliance on CEC means it can be a nightmare and best avoided.

eARC is the technical answer which in addition to potentially offering HD and Immersive audio support between the TV and AVR it will not rely on CEC.

Joe

But what I mean is that my AV Receiver has never supported HDCP2.2 so how have I been able to watch UHD with ARC for the last year?

Most likely a quirk and or one or other device ‘cheating’ the HDCP system - you tend to find a lot of ‘first generation’ kit which introduces new features have non standard firmware.

Joe

Hopefully, I still plan to speak to Sky. Using optical has annoyances I didn’t have before, nothing major but ARC would be preferred.

Doesn’t look like my 2018 LG C8 OLED will get eARC. 😞

Seems I some too soon. Just received this message.

Attachments

• 9662707A-35F9-4CB2-A89C-870FE986C20C.jpeg
    9662707A-35F9-4CB2-A89C-870FE986C20C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
Had the "There is a technical issue which is preventing you from watching in Ultra HD " message when watching the last F1 race in UHD the other weekend, the SkyQ box then locked so had to perform a hard reset. Hasn't done this since...

Seems I some too soon. Just received this message.

So I am still getting the occasional occurrence of this error message, 6 months later. It happens around once a week.

Someone posted on the Sky helpforum a few months ago with the same symptoms, they did what I did and that was connect their older AV receiver ( Onkyo TXNR509) to their TV (an LG C9 OLED) and they experienced the same improvement as me, just the occasional error above.

They responded with an update today saying that since they had their V2 box replaced with a V3 box, the issue has gone away completely and they were even able to turn on HDMI control and connect their receiver to their TV without a problem. We can only assume that with firmware updates and the new V3 box they issue is resolved. Now I need to see if Sky will replace my V2 box... wish me luck.

Good luck. Seems very much like the V2 SkyQ box has a HDMI hand shaking issue with LG televisions...

Good luck. Seems very much like the V2 SkyQ box has a HDMI hand shaking issue with LG televisions...
... and some Samsung TVs

Having the same problem as just moved to Sky Q. (Or Sky Qrap as it's starting to be known in our house) Doesnt like my AVR or C8 when CEC is turned on. V2 2TB box. The mini upstairs with my Samsung and Sony AVR works fine.

In my signature. Havent updated it for Sky Q yet.

"
Lounge: LG OLED 65C8, 1TB Sky HD, LG UP970, Plex Server HP MS Gen8, Vero 4K+, Denon AVR-X3500H, Alphason Finewoods 1350. MA Bronze 6 Floor Standers, M| Bronze Center, MA Bronze FX Surround, MA W10 Subwoofer, Dali Alteco C-1 Atmos
Bedroom: Samsung QE49Q7F, 500GB Sky HD, Samsung K8500 UHD player, Sony HT-XT3 sound stage "

Even with CEC turned off it still seems to have handing shaking issues and requires the Sky Q box to be power restarted.

Ended up buying this to solve my issues. The HLD/HDR still works fine. Only downside is that it is 8-bit. Are there 10-bit ones?

Amazon product ASIN B083JVPXDY

I don't want to jinx anything but on Tuesday I had my second V2 Silver 2TB box replaced. Since then, I disconnected the optical cable I was using for audio from the TV to my AV receiver and enabled all HDMI-CEC/Control settings as I had it before my V1 box failed last year.

I've now had 3 days of trouble free UHD watching with everything working as it did with the V1 box. Very pleased :)

it was a little struggle to get the V3 box. I started with a standard phone call to the Sky Q technical team and explained everything. All the things I tried, all the advice here and on other forums, the chap clearly new I had done my research. He booked an engineer and fortunately they had a slot the next morning. When the engineer arrived I explained to him everything again and he checked a few settings on the box then agreed to replace it. Now the problem is he only had V2 boxes, he explained they can't order a specific version and only get what is in their drop box. V3 boxes are apparently in short supply due to COVID as they are made in China. He put a call out to the other engineers in the area to see if anyone had one and luckily someone did. Took him a few hours to finish his other visits but the second engineer turned up and fitted the V3 box without a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom