Answered Technics SU-7700 vs. Onkyo TX-SR444 for Kef R100

Mufasa30

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently listening to music through a pair of bookshelf speakers, the Kef R100, powered by an old stereo amplifier, the Technics SU-7700, and a Macbook Pro. The sound is decent at low volume, let's say at 3/10 on the volume knob. The only problem I have with this setup is that as soon as I try to raise the volume at 4/10 or 5/10 all the magic goes away and the highs become muffled and a little distorted while the lows get really overwhelming to the point where I have to reduce them at -2 using the EQ Bass knob on the amplifier. Is this hapenning because the amplifier is to weak or because of the source?

This morning I came across an ad of someone selling an Onkyo TX-SR444 for like 100 Euros. I looked at the specs and it seems that it is a lot more powerful than my old stereo amplifier. Should I consider it as an upgrade or should I keep the amplifier and maybe get a DAC? I'm open to all kind of suggestions.

The R100s are fairly hard to drive with a sensitivity of 86dB. The more power you can give them the better they will sound. That's is what is probably happening with your current amp, not enough power when the volume is increased.

If you are just going to use the speakers for stereo music then I would avoid any AVR and look for a good, powerful amp.

Ok, I will try to find a better amplifier. You think that something like the Yamaha A-S700 is enough to drive the speakers properly? Thank you for the advice!

The 700 will give you 80 watts into 8 ohms, certainly enough to drive the R100s and will be good amp but the R100s in all honesty are capable of being mated to a better quality amp but it will certainly be far better than hooking up to a multi channel receiver.

Thanks! I have one last question. Is it possible to use the Technics SU 7700 stereo amp to power 2 bookshelf speakers and the Onkyo TX SR 444 to power 2 floorstanding speakers, playing at the same time, from the same source (my TV) and keep it stereo? This are the inputs/outputs of each one.

CCD17EFE-CB11-49CC-90F9-E6F901431D4E.jpeg

81F5D947-FCF4-4608-B0A2-31309C0933BE.jpeg

E720B262-3806-425A-9BCC-727A72A03500.jpeg

Theoretically it is possible, with analogue out from the TV to the Technics and optical out to the Onkyo. Soundwise it could be awful with timing issues. It's not something I would ever consider. If you wish to have a stereo sound from all speakers then a new receiver would give you that option and it can sound very effective.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom