Question Technomate TM-RF HD IR Digital Modulator

derekp02

Standard Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any recent experience with the Technomate TM-RF HD IR digital modulator ?

I have just purchased one to re-transmit my Humax FreeView PVR output through the house TV distribution system, achieved by looping the HDMI feed through the modulator and running an extra co-ax cable to the loft where the modulator RF output is combined with the aerial inputs to the distribution amplifier using a Labgear, power pass 2 way splitter.

The choice of modulator was between the Technomate unit and the similar spec./priced Edision DVBT unit, the Technomate was chosen as it has the HDMI loop through ports option, in-built IR re-transmission option and received generally better reviews.
Set up was very easy having already run the additional co-ax cable to the loft distribution amplifier, default channel 21 was changed to 27 to keep well clear of my local terrestrial frequencies, LCN ID was left at default 800.

However, the unit is blanking out at random intervals for 4 to 5 second periods, sound and/or vision, occurs on both HDMI output and RF re-transmission, is much worse after power on, improved with time but still randomly occurs.

Have attempted to contact Technomate on line support with absolutely no response, can't even register the unit warranty as the date of purchase year option only goes to 2013 latest, does not exactly inspire confidence !

The unit was bought from Amazon, should I at least request a replacement or perhaps even a refund considering the lack of support from Technomate ?
Anyone aware of any setting I could change to mitigate the effects I am experiencing considering that the fault is active on HDMI feed through as well as RF transmission ?

For anyone that's interested.

Contacted Amazon tech. help, they could not offer much help but did phone Technomate and patched me through to them.
After they went through various questions it was agreed that the modulator appeared to be faulty and a replacement was advised, Amazon arranged this, received 2 days later.

So far the replacement modulator is working perfectly.
Still have an issue with remote IR power pass through my distribution amplifier, not the fault of the modulator, managed to get one remote TV working by bypassing the dist. amp., in the longer term will have to change out the distribution amplifier.

Techhnomate tech. assistance did respond eventually to my e-mail, the best bet for tech. help appears to be by phone to their London number.
Was also informed by Technomate that on line warranty registration is no longer required after pointing out that it did not work beyond year 2013 selection.

For anyone that's interested.

Contacted Amazon tech. help, they could not offer much help but did phone Technomate and patched me through to them.
After they went through various questions it was agreed that the modulator appeared to be faulty and a replacement was advised, Amazon arranged this, received 2 days later.

So far the replacement modulator is working perfectly.
Still have an issue with remote IR power pass through my distribution amplifier, not the fault of the modulator, managed to get one remote TV working by bypassing the dist. amp., in the longer term will have to change out the distribution amplifier.

Techhnomate tech. assistance did respond eventually to my e-mail, the best bet for tech. help appears to be by phone to their London number.
Was also informed by Technomate that on line warranty registration is no longer required after pointing out that it did not work beyond year 2013 selection.

Hi derekp02

Just read your October post. I also have the same Technomate Mod as you I think with IR control but unlike you it would appear I'm finding range of the eye which came with the Mod only works from about 3 feet away from my sat box so in order to change channels etc I'm constantly having to get up from my sitting position to switch over. Previously I used an analogue mod with IR and it worked from my sitting position with no problems so I can only assume the problem lies with the eye. Have you experienced any problems yourself. Like you I found the Technomate website clunky and not very user friendly. Can't find any firmware updates on their site if they exist at all.

Hi 1nspectorgadget:

I currently have 3 remote IR TV control points working from my Technomate Modulator controlling my Humax Freeview PVR, using the IR kit supplied with the Mod. and 2 additional units purchased separately. I had to replace my signal distribution amplifier as the existing unit was not IR signal feed through, fitted a Labgear, 4 channel, IR pass amp. which self powered from the Technomate Modulator.

Having said that, I did find that the remote IR control system could be temperamental, either worked perfectly or not at all, one of the 3 remote points just would not work at all despite substitution of the channels, IR eyes and even complete replacement of the coax cable from the dist. amp, had to re-site the modulator and Humax PVR to this location as the only solution found.

So, to answer your question, you could possibly have a faulty or less sensitive IR eye but a lot of other factors can also effect remote operation as I discovered !

As an example, I require 2 outside aerials one for UK and one for RTE terrestrial broadcasts, these are combined at the mast head with a Ch. 37 cross over passive splitter, used to be correct for the UK/RTE frequencies prior to the 700 Mhz. clearance changes made in Sept. 19.
Changed the mast head combiner/splitter out for a simple passive combiner as no suitable cross over splitter is available for the new UK/RTE frequency combination in my area.
Believe it or not, this change stopped "one" of the 3 remote TV points from responding to the IR signals even though reception, signal strength & quality was normal at all TV points !

Hi 1nspectorgadget:

I currently have 3 remote IR TV control points working from my Technomate Modulator controlling my Humax Freeview PVR, using the IR kit supplied with the Mod. and 2 additional units purchased separately. I had to replace my signal distribution amplifier as the existing unit was not IR signal feed through, fitted a Labgear, 4 channel, IR pass amp. which self powered from the Technomate Modulator.

Having said that, I did find that the remote IR control system could be temperamental, either worked perfectly or not at all, one of the 3 remote points just would not work at all despite substitution of the channels, IR eyes and even complete replacement of the coax cable from the dist. amp, had to re-site the modulator and Humax PVR to this location as the only solution found.

So, to answer your question, you could possibly have a faulty or less sensitive IR eye but a lot of other factors can also effect remote operation as I discovered !

As an example, I require 2 outside aerials one for UK and one for RTE terrestrial broadcasts, these are combined at the mast head with a Ch. 37 cross over passive splitter, used to be correct for the UK/RTE frequencies prior to the 700 Mhz. clearance changes made in Sept. 19.
Changed the mast head combiner/splitter out for a simple passive combiner as no suitable cross over splitter is available for the new UK/RTE frequency combination in my area.
Believe it or not, this change stopped "one" of the 3 remote TV points from responding to the IR signals even though reception, signal strength & quality was normal at all TV points !

Hi derekp02

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I have since swapped over what I still suspect is a faulty IR eye with another one I used on an analogue mod and bingo, that one works perfectly from my sitting position. So my conclusion is the Technomate IR eye is faulty. I contacted Technomate over 2 weeks ago now with this information but they seem to be rather slow getting back as I'm still waiting to here from them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom