Tenet Movie Review & Comments

I caveat all this with the fact Michael Bay is still allowed to direct half-billion dollar projects after seventeen, somehow unbelievably, increasingly bad TF sequels and (should-have-been-buried)Six Underground. In a world where this is a reality, Nolan should get a 100 year free pass.

Well I've just watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and I'm aghast.

Nolan ripped it off for Tenet.

Bill and Ted were first to inverse and maintain the loop, long before the Protagonist and Neil.

I think the studios are going to have to play the long game with movies in future. The first weekend box-office will always be big (not big by previous standards) but after that they are gonna have to keep promoting the titles online aggressively, add content, get actors to live Q&A etc just to keep the movie seeming fresh/new. The marketing is going to have to change and there is no reason why they can't get back to previous figures eventually it's going to take some work thats all.

I think the studios are going to have to play the long game with movies in future. The first weekend box-office will always be big (not big by previous standards) but after that they are gonna have to keep promoting the titles online aggressively, add content, get actors to live Q&A etc just to keep the movie seeming fresh/new. The marketing is going to have to change and there is no reason why they can't get back to previous figures eventually it's going to take some work thats all.

I agree. I think Warner Brother’s plan is to hold back their other releases so there is nothing competing with Tenet and to let Tenet run to Christmas or longer and to build up the takings slowly.

This is okay for the film studies but I can’t see it be any good for the cinemas. Warner Brothers may not care if Tenet is the only thing showing for four months getting their money back in drips and drabs, but cinemas won’t be able to attract audiences with nothing to show.

Cheers,

Nigel

True, but even in a post-Covid world would the studio be confident in Nolan's continued ability to bring in a big audience? Regardless of the pandemic, audiences haven't responded to this one with the same consensus, and that's likely to dampen enthusiasm for future projects. In fact, since The Dark Knight Trilogy, his box office numbers have been falling with each film. I know if I were a studio exec, I'd be holding my purse strings a little bit tighter for next time.

(Unless he directs another superhero movie that is :)).

I think you're looking at the box office out of context here, surely you can't be expecting a film like Tenet to bring in the same numbers as a comic book film or established known franchise.

The reality is Nolan's films have all been extremely successfully within their defined genre;
  1. Inception is one of the highest grossing Thrillers.
  2. Dunkirk I believe is the highest grossing War film
  3. Interstellar is one of the highest grossing Sci-fi films
What Nolan has achieved is far more impressive than him directing the next Marvel or Star wars film to gross billions at the box office (Captain Marvel director's proves my point).

I'm glad Warner Bros has the full support of Nolan and I would include Denis Villeneuve on that list too, the box office for Blade Runner was a criminal and even if Dune flops I still believe they will give DV one more shot at a big budget film.

I think you're looking at the box office out of context here, surely you can't be expecting a film like Tenet to bring in the same numbers as a comic book film or established known franchise.

The reality is Nolan's films have all been extremely successfully within their defined genre;
What Nolan has achieved is far more impressive than him directing the next Marvel or Star wars film to gross billions at the box office (Captain Marvel director's proves my point).

I'm glad Warner Bros has the full support of Nolan and I would include Denis Villeneuve on that list too, the box office for Blade Runner was a criminal and even if Dune flops I still believe they will give DV one more shot at a big budget film.

I didn't quite mean that. I mean there's a possibility that Nolan might be bleeding fans, judging by the falling box office numbers (pre-covid) for each successive film. Interstellar, Dunkirk and now Tenet have failed to light the box office alight, and are relatively divisive even among Nolan die-hards. If I were working for Warners I'd be worried about his continued longevity. And yet, his last two Dark Knight films were both billion dollar affairs (hence my 'superhero' remark). Not suggesting Nolan (or Villeneuve) start making Marvel movies :).

Inception is one of my favourite films...
Haven't seen this yet and I very rarely do this but....

Tenet 4k Steelbook pre-ordered 😎

Inception is one of my favourite films...
Haven't seen this yet and I very rarely do this but....

Tenet 4k Steelbook pre-ordered 😎

ive pre-ordered the 4k blind as well... think it might be my first disk this year as im mostly digital these days...

Just watched this and man the aspect ratio was driving me nuts! I know Nolan does this a lot but in this movie it’s out of control! First impressions are that it’s far from his best work, looks and sounds amazing (although dialogue seems poor) actually couldn’t wait for it to end. Such a shame as i was really looking forward to this. I would like to think im wrong but not sure i can sit through it again!
Personally i think Interstellar is his best work.

The problem with Blade Runner 2049, was exactly the same the same the original. It didn’t do well at the box office, because it didn’t have mainstream appeal. It lacked characters with a typical story arc, that a mainstream audience could invest in And get behind. But it has become a classic with an avid fan base. I don’t personally think it’s as good as the original, although I did enjoy it (such a shame they couldn’t reach an agreement for Vangelis to return).

The original Blade Runner is an art house movie, with a huge budget, which just happens to be set in sci-fi setting. It is still absolutely stunning to look at. But it remains one of Harrison Ford’s least favourite movie. He’s quoted as saying he plays a detective that never does any detecting and felt Deckard was too cold and not heroic enough.

Same goes with 2OO1 : A Space Odyssey, mainstream audiences found it boring, and couldn’t connect with it. Whereas I just find it mesmerising.

Regards,
James.

Just watched this and man the aspect ratio was driving me nuts! I know Nolan does this a lot but in this movie it’s out of control! First impressions are that it’s far from his best work, looks and sounds amazing (although dialogue seems poor) actually couldn’t wait for it to end. Such a shame as i was really looking forward to this. I would like to think im wrong but not sure i can sit through it again!
Personally i think Interstellar is his best work.

Makes me wonder if I should mask off the imax scenes?

Makes me wonder if I should mask off the imax scenes?
I would, its not 2.40.1 either its a strange ratio, one I didn’t have saved in my presets. Pause a frame and adjust, it kinda ruined the film to some degree as once i started watching it both my Girlfriend and daughter were too so didn’t want to mess about.

I would, its not 2.40.1 either its a strange ratio, one I didn’t have saved in my presets. Pause a frame and adjust, it kinda ruined the film to some degree as once i started watching it both my Girlfriend and daughter were too so didn’t want to mess about.
It switches between 2.20:1 and 1.78:1

I wonder if the dialogue is going to be more understandable at home...

I'm actually looking forward to watching this again so that a. I can set my own volume level which will be loud but won't destroy my ear drums and b. I might have some chance to hear what's being said and c. I can switch it off if it's as bad as my IMAX Tenet experience!

From the YT review I saw, audio is the same, so it’s a choice to make it inaudible, I guess you can put subs on (is there are any for that part)

I wonder if the dialogue is going to be more understandable at home...

I'm actually looking forward to watching this again so that a. I can set my own volume level which will be loud but won't destroy my ear drums and b. I might have some chance to hear what's being said and c. I can switch it off if it's as bad as my IMAX Tenet experience!
Sound is phenomenal, one of the best I’ve heard in my room but dialogue is hard to make out at times, seems intentionally so.

The very first thing you notice when watching this film is the sound. It hits you instantly, the LFE, the balance, everything. In general DTS-HD up-mixes to Neural-X better than almost anything. Anything except a Nolan DTS-HD mix. We complain about Nolan not accepting Atmos/DTS-x mixes, but with a Nolan mix, you really don't need it. The DTS-HD mix is great, but once it's up-mixed, then for atmosphere it is a good as any DTS-x mix. The music score is placed so firmly above and around my head that I would swear that I had speakers in my ceiling as opposed to up-firing modules. This is one of those rare occasions where my system sounds almost identical to the Cineworld Atmos theatre.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the most astonishing feats of film making I have ever seen. How does someone even come up with the concept, never mind write it, plan it then execute it.

The audio is amazing as I have described above. The dialogue is fine for the most part. Where it isn't, it's deliberate and if you watch the film you will see why. The picture quality is typical Nolan, filmic and full screen.

I disagree with Cas about the film being obtuse. To me it was only partially obtuse because answers to the many of the questions are given in the film. But there is also so much here that I'm sure I've missed some clues which will likely reveal themselves on a second watch.

The story is about as far out as I've ever seen without psychedelic colours. Nolan is one of very few directors who would or could even attempt to do something like this. What he was attempting here is nothing short of amazing. I'm going to go a little arty-farty and say that the concept, story, visuals and audio make this a film making tour de force.

.......and yes Mr Harlow he should definitely be the next Bond director.

This is one of the most astonishing feats of film making I have ever seen. How does someone even come up with the concept, never mind write it, plan it then execute it.

The audio is amazing as I have described above. The dialogue is fine for the most part. Where it isn't, it's deliberate and if you watch the film you will see why. The picture quality is typical Nolan, filmic and full screen.

I disagree with Cas about the film being obtuse. To me it was only partially obtuse because answers to the many of the questions are given in the film. But there is also so much here that I'm sure I've missed some clues which will likely reveal themselves on a second watch.

The story is about as far out as I've ever seen without psychedelic colours. Nolan is one of very few directors who would or could even attempt to do something like this. What he was attempting here is nothing short of amazing. I'm going to go a little arty-farty and say that the concept, story, visuals and audio make this a film making tour de force.

.......and yes Mr Harlow he should definitely be the next Bond director.

Bold cinema and to be commended for sure.

Unfortunately though the style outdoes the substance by too much in my opinion, and therefore renders the film too far in that wrong direction.

Seeing people talk about it again I am looking forward now to re-watching it. But I'm not expecting to view it as being any better second time around.

Bold cinema and to be commended for sure.

Unfortunately though the style outdoes the substance by too much in my opinion, and therefore renders the film too far in that wrong direction.

Seeing people talk about it again I am looking forward now to re-watching it. But I'm not expecting to view it as being any better second time around.
Yes I was impressed by the concept, visuals and audio which adds up to the style. But I also really liked the story. I loved how it starts, slowly draws you in then just when you think you have a handle it takes minor but important detours. This doesn't feel like a spectacle film. Now that I think about it, this reminds me a lot of Inception with elements of End of Tomorrow. The story gives you as much information as the Protagonist has, no more, no less. By the end of the film he knows a little more than us, but not that much, Whatever loose ends are left hanging for us, is more or less the same for him and that is also a deliberate part of the story.

Yes I was impressed by the concept, visuals and audio which adds up to the style. But I also really liked the story. I loved how it starts, slowly draws you in then just when you think you have a handle it takes minor but important detours. This doesn't feel like a spectacle film. Now that I think about it, this reminds me a lot of Inception with elements of End of Tomorrow. The story gives you as much information as the Protagonist has, no more, no less. By the end of the film he knows a little more than us, but not that much, Whatever loose ends are left hanging for us, is more or less the same for him and that is also a deliberate part of the story.

Unfortunately I did know more than the Protagonist. For all it's ambiguity it was also too telegraphed in parts, and this is perhaps why it ultimately didn't work for me. Big and bold, but also lazy and convenient when it needed a link to the next obstacle. I never felt that with Inception for example.

And it is difficult to use the word lazy about such a spectacle film. I don't like to.

I also think it broke it's own rules toward the end, but I've been waiting to watch it again to confirm that.

I appreciate though the "wow" factor and brave narrative structure. I'm actually really interested in reading the script, as I like to dabble with writing screenplays myself and I'm curious as to how Nolan approached it and set it out on the page.

Unfortunately I did know more than the Protagonist. For all it's ambiguity it was also too telegraphed in parts, and this is perhaps why it ultimately didn't work for me. Big and bold, but also lazy and convenient when it needed a link to the next obstacle. I never felt that with Inception for example.

And it is difficult to use the word lazy about such a spectacle film. I don't like to.

I also think it broke it's own rules toward the end, but I've been waiting to watch it again to confirm that.

I appreciate though the "wow" factor and brave narrative structure. I'm actually really interested in reading the script, as I like to dabble with writing screenplays myself and I'm curious as to how Nolan approached it and set it out on the page.
If parts were telegraphed for you then yes I can see the problem lol. But since the parts of the film
essentially repeat previous parts from a different perspective like Endgame did
then I can see how you could feel that way. For me it just helped to fill in the gaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom