Tenet Movie Review & Comments

Cheers Cas, another 5 viewings of this will probably reveal another 5 layers to the film. I found this with Interstellar, the more i watched, the more the film gave to me.

Another 20 viewings of " Inception" and I'm right there with you lol:hiya:

I watched this a few hours ago.

The action and set pieces worked exceptionally well. Without spoilering, my favourite was the one on one fight at the start of the third act. I like how Nolan's action scenes have heft and weight behind them, and sweeping wide shots give it a super cinematic film. I watched it in Dolby Atmos and it was a blur of thumping sound for what felt like 3 hours. It certainly felt like there were ZERO scenes without some kind of loud background music. The film never pauses to breath!!

I find Nolan movies overly convoluted in general - complex in a way they need not be. Dark Knight and Inception are good examples. It can make them feel a little contrived, like the story is surgically told rather than organically flowing. In Breaking Bad (yes I know it's a TV show but bear with me), there are many twists and turns, but they feel organic, natural and therefore compelling.

I think I followed most of the story but several plot holes jumped out - more likely I missed something in dialogue, because the devil seems to be in the detail of what someone says - but you can't always hear them over the soundtrack. The menacing Russian didn't make much sense as a villain. He was just too 2-dimensional to me (a wife beater - seriously?) - Kenneth Brannagh was brilliant however. The lead guy held his own - I really liked the performance, but he didn't have the charisma of a Denzel. I'd be happy to see more of him in future.

Overall, my enjoyment factor was 8/10.
I can see why this will split people. Too clever for it's own good?

Looking forward to watching it again at home but this time with the subtitles on. This will seriously give my subs the best workout of their life.

Cheers Cas.

I think up until a few weeks back I would have agreed with you with regards Inception being the pinnacle of the Nolanverse.

However a rewatch of Memento has now altered that. A real masterclass of storytelling within that experimental narrative, and to be honest it's an absolute bloody delight. I should have watched it more times than I have.

I've kind of always had Tenet pegged as a cross between Inception and Memento, which is why I got myself all worked up into a frenzy when that first trailer and synopsis dropped.

I'm a little disappointed with some of the reaction thus far, but I think it'll still be right up my street - and I can't wait to get my bum on a cinema seat again.

I definitely want to see this at the cinema. Nothing else to say lol.

Thanks Cas,

I wrote below on Thursday on the movie thread, sounds like we had the same experience.

It looks like Inception from a fashion / colour grading perspective. It feels a bit colder/clinical.
The set pieces are all fantastic, if you watched his making of on previous films, you can start to see how they made this film. Looks fantastic.
I was confused and while the story makes more sense as you near the end, I still left confused, so will need to revisit.
I left Inception slightly confused but in a good way, I left this one a bit frustrated.
I think it is a great film. If Inception was a 8 on first view and now a 9 (as a classic), this will have to be a 7 on first viewing and will assume it will move up as it makes more sense.

Having read other people’s interpretations, I’m more keen to see this again to see how the timeline flows.
I do think the production/fx are fantastic and Nolan deserves credit for bringing it all together. There is so much going on, you don’t have time to appreciate the craftsmanship which is why I’m going again next week. This will be added to the Nolan uhd collection too.

I first felt disappointed / confused and annoyed with myself for not fully understanding the plot. It is a visual assault and the audio runs at crazy levels, love the bass heavy pumping OST. Having watched the trailer/clips a few times since, it is one hell of a production.
I think now I roughly understand the story, second visit will be more pleasing allowing me to relax, appreciate and absorb.

I thought all the acting was great, really like John, only seen him in this and BlacKkKlansman, fantastic in both. People have said the actors are cold, and they can’t empathise with them. I think this was a 4 hr + epic that has been trimmed down to keep the pace going, maybe other dialogue was edited out but I found them all likeable and given their mission, they don’t have time to stand around ...

The colour grading/final action set piece design/clothes (Pattinson and Hardy)....is there some connection to Inception, I mean it’s almost the same world.

How I have missed the big screen, I’d convinced myself my home setup is more than enough, I was wrong. Our cinema was empty, so I didn’t get the shared experience, just a massive screen to myself and loved it.

I'm still thinking about the moment where
a building is destroyed and reformed simultaneously.
Breathtaking.
Yep, we need Call of Duty - Tenet map in VR

Well I watched it on Wednesday.
My mini FB review below.
..............…...........
Starts slowly but turns the screw as you go along.
Just when you think you know what’s coming next the film takes another twist.
The opening scene the audio score was mindblowing reminded me of The Dark Knight Rises when Bane hijacks and blows up the plane.

For any Nolan fans like me think Inception/The Dark knight rises/James Bond on Acid.

Whatever you do don’t nip out to the toilet as you will miss something, especially after the 1st 3rd of the film.

I avoided all the trailers even when in lockdown saying that they never gave anything away from watching one right now.
Some people might think Nolan is trying to be to clever for his own good in this film, I can see that point of view but disagree.

It tops Inception for me and ties with The Dark Knight as Nolan’s best film.
Well was worth the 5months I have waited to see it.
For me, this is another Nolan masterpiece.

9/10
🤩👌👍🏼🎥

This is at least a 9, a film like this has never been made before, it's amazing. 8? Pah.

I will be seeing it again and I'd put my money down for the 4k disc now, if I could.

I'm very glad films like this get made and studios don't block them with concerns about the audience not understanding what's going on. I loved it. More!

"lacking the heart we have come to expect from him"

Interestingly this is the one thing I 'never' get from his movies. I can always admire the craft, scale, vision and execution, certainly the intelligence and detail. But none of his movies have ever hooked me emotionally, they are just too clinical I think. I like most of his movies (albeit not seen The Prestige), but didn't love any of them, not even the Batmans.

Example I gave at the time of 'Interstellar' was , give me 'Contact' over this any time.

I enjoyed it but unless you have the mind of Sheldon Cooper you need a 2nd viewing, I'm going again next week, I saw it in a Dolby screen and my ears have just recovered, only downfall to that was as stated, some of the dialogue gets lost.

Spot on Cas. Listening to the pod over the last few weeks and i too was one of those reluctant to go back. Having mitigated the risks, this was definitely the film to get me back. Great spectacle, marred by that sound mix, which deserves multiple viewings. (Wife disagrees 😉)

Spot on Cas. Listening to the pod over the last few weeks and i too was one of those reluctant to go back. Having mitigated the risks, this was definitely the film to get me back. Great spectacle, marred by that sound mix, which deserves multiple viewings. (Wife disagrees 😉)

I went twice last week, sat on my own in a massive Dolby isense screen for Unhinged but that was on Monday,Tenet had only around a dozen people in on Wednesday meercat day, weekend will probably be busy tho.

I saw maybe the the first or second trailer several months ago and found the reverse scenes so unnatural and jarring. Having said that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and i am looking forward to seeing it when it hits blu-ray relatively soon.

I absolutely loved this. A masterpiece in every sense, but I'm not sure it tops Inception.

It feels like the culmination in everything Nolan has done before. If each prior film focused on one thing, Tenet tries to do them all. And it succeeds.

Hopefully this will be in cinemas for a while so I'll get to see it again.

Thanks Cas, Saw this earlier in the week at a Cineworld 4DX showing, thoroughly enjoyed albeit didn’t have a clue what I’d just watched after leaving! Looking forward to owing the UHD for sure, don’t hear many on here talking about the 4DX experience so it might be shunned a little but I for one thought the added senses it gave especially the bullet whistles past your ears were amazing!

i just cant bring myself to sit in a film theatre for 3 hours with a face mask on

so its a first day 4k disk order for me hopefully in time for xmas so i can give it a few watches to fully grasp the issues

i just cant bring myself to sit in a film theatre for 3 hours with a face mask on

so its a first day 4k disk order for me hopefully in time for xmas so i can give it a few watches to fully grasp the issues

Is it face masks on in seats in the UK? I saw a US review for New Mutants that said over there it was masks on except if eating and drinking. Bizarre , so if I’m slurping and guzzling, and chomping I’m safe, but if I just want to sit alone with my mouth shut and watch the film I need the mask?

Is it face masks on in seats in the UK? I saw a US review for New Mutants that said over there it was masks on except if eating and drinking. Bizarre , so if I’m slurping and guzzling, and chomping I’m safe, but if I just want to sit alone with my mouth shut and watch the film I need the mask?

Yes, masks on at all times. Just pull it up a little to eat/drink. To be honest, I didn't see anybody with food. Then again, there were only about 8 people in the showing, which perhaps doesn't bode well for cinemas, as they'll never make their money back that way even if WB do through just playing it for a protracted run.

Wasn't comfortable or particularly relaxed, but was perfectly manageable. And it felt fairly safe.

You don't need to wear a mask in UK cinema's. I saw Tenet at my local Odeon, once you're sat down you can take it off. It's only worn for entry and exit.

thanks Cas but i had to really want to go to the cinema given the quality of my home theatre set up before covid landed and as much as i love Chris Nolan's films it is just too early for me to want to venture into a theatre this side of the new year

You don't need to wear a mask in UK cinema's. I saw Tenet at my local Odeon, once you're sat down you can take it off. It's only worn for entry and exit.
not what my local imax says but who is going to see if you dont wear a mask in an almost empty showing i guess

empire say exactly what Cas said about use of face masks with the word mandatory emphasised

1598714026539.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom