Answered Terminator 2

shiwarrior

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

As I haven't got many Blu Rays, I've decided on my next one

T2

But I am unsure which version to buy, so I would like some advice from the masses

I noticed there is a Skynet Edition (with extra footage) but is rated 15, but the normal one is rated 18, is that right ?

Please advise, thanks

The Skynet release includes three different versions of the film but suffers from DNR so either wait or go for the OOP original T2 release, only includes one version of the film but picture quality is superior.

There is a newer US release which is region-locked and supposed to be a little bit better than the barebones UK Optimum release too. I'm waiting - T2 cant be ignored for too much longer I would have thought, too much money to made! And that Skynet release is a pain anyway. Some people find it takes ages to load up to the menu (not me) and the menu itself is a right mess I seem to remember!

thanks all

I am not interested in a 4K version

so we are hoping that the 25th anniversary edition will have the best 2D transfer with the extra versions?

thanks all

I am not interested in a 4K version

so we are hoping that the 25th anniversary edition will have the best 2D transfer with the extra versions?

I think the above poster meant a new BD release using a recently approved 4K transfer as this should yield superior quality to any of the current BDs out there and would certainly make me upgrade.

I think I understand, so I 4K transfer would still work on a normal blu ray player and a 1080p TV? but the quality should in theory be better than the current ones
so i should get the 4K version, as its better quality still on a 1080p screen

I think I understand, so I 4K transfer would still work on a normal blu ray player and a 1080p TV? but the quality should in theory be better than the current ones
so i should get the 4K version, as its better quality still on a 1080p screen
No.

The 4K transfer will most likely be used to produce:
A) a new 1080p Blu-ray version which will likely have better picture quality than the existing Blu-rays currently available. This is just a normal Blu-ray, the same as any other Blu-ray, but the picture quality should be better as it has been sourced from a better quality 4K transfer.
AND
B) a 4K UHD version which will only work on 4K players & TVs.

You want A).

right, got ya, now I understand
I'll wait for this superior copy then!

cheers all !!!!

No.

A) a new 1080p Blu-ray version which will likely have better picture quality than the existing Blu-rays currently available. This is just a normal Blu-ray, the same as any other Blu-ray, but the picture quality should be better as it has been sourced from a better quality 4K transfer.
AND

You want A).
I want B [emoji83]

No.

AND

You want A).

Technically speaking, there's a bit more to B). A 4k Ultra HD version would be downscaled to 1080p on a 1080p display. In theory, this would also likely offer a superior picture to the current Skynet solution on offer and if the op was to upgrade his display and source down the line..he'd have multiple options on the table (even though he isn't currently interested in 4k).

The original BD release offers a superior picture to Skynet so there is no doubt a 4K release down scaled would be superior to the Skynet release.

The original BD release offers a superior picture to Skynet so there is no doubt a 4K release down scaled would be superior to the Skynet release.

Which raises the question would a down scaled 4k picture be superior to the original bd? Not something to worry about seeing as there's no 4k disc at the mo.

Good question surely comparisons have been done already.

Good question surely comparisons have been done already.

A friend tried a whacky experiment a few years ago by feeding native 4K material into his Kuro monitor and then comparing it with the same material in 1080p. The 4K feed downscaled looked better to his eyes.

So with regards to downscaling a higher resolution to a lower one, it can be interesting as one has to remember any upscaling cannot effectively create detail that was never there, but a downscale from a native higher feed, contained the extra detail before the downscale and it potentially translates to a superior 1080p picture...as some of the modern 'mastered from 4K' blus also demonstrate.

Last edited:
I remember when Blu-Ray's were quite new rips were taken then downscaled to 480p and compared to the official DVD release and the quality of the downscale was superior but this could of course have been down to other factors.

Technically speaking, there's a bit more to B). A 4k Ultra HD version would be downscaled to 1080p on a 1080p display. In theory, this would also likely offer a superior picture to the current Skynet solution on offer and if the op was to upgrade his display and source down the line..he'd have multiple options on the table (even though he isn't currently interested in 4k).
But he'd need a UHD player, yes?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There's no release date got yet, is there?
And there will be a normal Blu-Ray release from this transfer? So I won't need a 4K player to watch it.

no

as previously said, there is a 4K transfer one coming, much better quality, so best to wait

Has it even been confirmed that this is actually happening?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom