Answered Terminator 2

Do you mean will the non UHD disc have the same transfer as the UHD? I guess if the UHD is TC only while the standard BD had EC and TC, then it will be the old transfer. This would also explain why there is no standalone 2D BD.
No, Studio Canal's statements on the 2D disc are that the extended scenes 'differ in quality' ie the Theatrical cut footage is remastered & when it branches to the extended scenes, these will be the old transfer.
If the entire disc was the old transfer, the extended scenes wouldn't 'differ in quality'.
(Link posted by Home PC nut in the steelbook thread)
Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) 4K UHD

There also is a standalone 2D disc & it says 'Brand new restoration' along the top
Terminator 2 [Blu-ray] [2017]: Amazon.co.uk: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick, Earl Boen, Joe Morton, S. Epatha Merkerson, Castulo Guerra, Danny Cooksey, Jeanette Goldstein, James Cameron: DVD & Blu-ray

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Do you mean will the non UHD disc have the same transfer as the UHD? I guess if the UHD is TC only while the standard BD had EC and TC, then it will be the old transfer. This would also explain why there is no standalone 2D BD.

The Blu-Ray will also use the new restoration/remaster but the additional footage hasn't been remastered so there will be a quality drop but IMO better that than just making it solely the theatrical cut.

Oh and there will be a standalone 2D BD...

Terminator 2 [Blu-ray] [2017]: Amazon.co.uk: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick, Earl Boen, Joe Morton, S. Epatha Merkerson, Castulo Guerra, Danny Cooksey, Jeanette Goldstein, James Cameron: DVD & Blu-ray

Excellent news about a new blu ray. Will upgrade my disc from 2009. Shame the extended cut is not remastered as that is my preferred version of the film.

I remember the Terminator 2 R1 DVD also causing branching problems with my Samsung 807 (imported by Comet store before the 709 came out).

The Blu-Ray will also use the new restoration/remaster but the additional footage hasn't been remastered so there will be a quality drop but IMO better that than just making it solely the theatrical cut.
Thanks, seems like a lot of extra effort to make a compicated and inferior set than just to have just scanned the lot in the beginning - They knew people would want both versions.
Thanks again, Amazon aren't making searching for titles easy.

Oh and there will be a standalone 2D BD...

That's the one i'm going to get then i guess

but for the same price :

Terminator 2 [4K + Blu-ray] [2017]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

the blue ray is identical on both ?
may as well get this one , ready for the 4K if I choose to go that route

T2 is currently on ITV4.
So far it's shaping up to be the perfect theatrical version I remember watching years ago.
Just waiting for Sarah's escape to see if they trim any of her attack scenes, or the Terminator shooting the guard in the knees.

Holy shit!! [emoji2][emoji44]
It's the perfect cut!!
She belted him 4 times!! It wasn't edited!!!

That was 100% the perfect theatrical cut!
Every original scene fully intact and unedited.
THAT is how I remember seeing T2 originally and that is what I want on blu-ray.
Hopefully the 4K transfer will be exactly that.

I remember my Dad took our 709 off to Currys in Trowbridge as Samsung were offering a free upgrade that would solve the problem with The Matrix which it did but discs kept on getting more complicated and wasn't long before it was replaced but the Samsung 709 will always have a special place in my heart not only for being my first DVD player but for the unique way you could use a hi-fi remote to disable both region locking and copy protection.
A hack was later released using the original remote.

Well you learn something new every day, 17 years late but still.
The 709 has its own user website. I think it was called 709online. It later became DVDInn.
The hack was released through 709online.

Just ordered the 3D Blu for £11.99 from Zoom using code ZSMA25.

I’ve had the special edition(3 different cuts) pre ordered since July.
Again, I’m just hoping that the theatrical version is the uncut/uncensored version

It is, but it has been filtered to death and has very modern colour grading...

Holy sh*t!! [emoji2][emoji44]
It's the perfect cut!!
She belted him 4 times!! It wasn't edited!!!

Hey there, so is there a "name" of sorts for this edit?

With Special Editions, Directors Cuts, Skynet versions and Theatrical Releases .. it's easy to get lost!

I had the DVD steelbook that you needed to enter a date to get one version, but I also now have the BD. Haven't watched it in a while, so can't remember what version(s) are on it!

Either way, still a great film!

I think it's just known as the theatrical cut. But in the past even that has been edited in certain places, removing parts of the violence.

I've never actually been able to buy this version as every version of VHS(theatrical and extended) and DVD(extended) I've had has always had parts of the original film edited.
As I've said before, it's scenes like when Sarah first escapes her room and attacks the orderly(cut to 1 or 2 hits rather than the full 4),John and the terminator arriving at the hospital(you only see one gun shot, but hear 2 then the security guard is on the floor) the scene where the terminator saves Sarah from the staff(you don't see everyone taking a hit or being thrown around), and even for some unnecessary reason, the scene where John and Myles are in the vault has been cut showing John going to push the arm onto the floor but it cuts before you see the case smash and then goes straight to him picking up the chip and arm.
I'm sure there are a couple more I'm forgetting, but the point is, the only time I seen the unedited theatrical version was when it was recorded from Sky for me back in the 90s(I remember it well because I almost wore that tape out).
This is the version that was shown on ITV the other month, and that is the version I'm hoping for with this upgraded blu-ray release.

As already mentioned multiple times :rolleyes:, Terminator 2 hasn't been cut for home releases for a very, very long time.

When you talk about a cut DVD, bear in mind there has been at least (what feels like) 20+ releases of this film on DVD. Any cut version would be a decades old release. Worth mentioning it again ;), to try to get it to stick this time, but this film hasn't been cut on DVD or Blu-ray for a very, very long time.

Worth mentioning it again ;), to try to get it to stick this time, but this film hasn't been cut on DVD or Blu-ray for a very, very long time.

how long?!?

DVD was about 2000 (I have the R1 vesion with 3 cuts) and Blu Ray I have from 2009 is uncut with the longer version (no extras).

I ordered this new version primarily for the 3D. I was always happy with the recent blu for picture quality.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day • UK Remastered Blu-ray vs. US 2015 Release Blu-ray

But looking at these comparisons, just wow. The level of detail is stunning. I know the colour grading is different as mentioned before, but I can't see me watching the old blu after getting this.

Edit: Looks like the extended stuff has been left untouched

Last edited:
The colour grading isn’t too much of an issue for me it’s the complete absence of grain, they have scrubbed it all away resulting in a waxy/shiny look, whether it’s as bad as the Predator UHE is another question but why is it so hard for them to get this film right.

Pity about the rampant DNR. It looks better because of the new scan, but it could have looked a lot better had they not applied so much filtering.

The colour grading isn’t too much of an issue for me it’s the complete absence of grain, they have scrubbed it all away resulting in a waxy/shiny look, whether it’s as bad as the Predator UHE is another question but why is it so hard for them to get this film right.

I think a lot of the waxy effect can be attributed to the amount of foundation/make up on the actors faces. The close ups of Sarah Connor at the hospital and Arnold's face at the Dyson's, show a tonne of pore and fine facial hair details.

I'm not denying DNR was used, but if it was used so aggressively, these details would be the first to go. The Predator blu was bereft of any fine facial details in some of the early scenes. Night and day compared to these shots. I've no doubt this will look a lot better in motion and I certainly didn't notice the wax effect on the big screen, it looked solid and natural.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom