Answered Terminator 2

I noticed it on both the cinema screen and on Blu-ray. It's really obvious. The reason it looks better than Predator is because the base scan is so much better. If it were due to make-up the actors' faces would have looked waxy on the old releases.

Wow, the new screenshots of the new one look awful. Not a fan of the new colour grading either. I would like them to do a comparison of the 2009 Blu Ray release of the film which imo is better than any of the other version later on. I need the grain.

Has anyone had their copy yet? I pre-ordered mine, it's been delivered and I don't know whether it's worth opening or just returning it.

I've not seen any reputable reviews of the transfer from any of the main sites.

Yeah i got mine. The 2D BD looks better than the 3D IMO.

Just fired up the 2D Blu-ray and my waxy/DNR skin texture senses are tingling.

On the plus side, it would appear to be more detailed which I assume is down to the new master they pulled off.

I would like them to do a comparison of the 2009 Blu Ray release of the film which imo is better than any of the other version later on. I need the grain.
Which one is the 2009 Blu-ray release? The Skynet edition? The 2015 release is the same as the Skynet edition but without DNR.

Which one is the 2009 Blu-ray release? The Skynet edition? The 2015 release is the same as the Skynet edition but without DNR.
That's it as I understand it.

I imagine the 2009 is the Optimum release? I know the Optimum was first.

So my copy turned up last night...
Firstly, yes! It's the same undated theatrical version I've been banging on about. Major tick there.
As for peoples complaints about the colour with the remaster. It gets less obvious the more you watch. But I wouldn't say it spoils anything. At least I didn't think so.
The one thing they could have done is alter the sound levels.
There are still scenes which are really quiet, which is really annoying as I tend to need to turn these up, but then immediately have to turn the sound down again because of the sound jumping up the it gets a little noisier.

Otherwise I'd give this version full marks.

So my copy turned up last night...
Firstly, yes! It's the same undated theatrical version I've been banging on about. Major tick there.
As for peoples complaints about the colour with the remaster. It gets less obvious the more you watch. But I wouldn't say it spoils anything. At least I didn't think so.
The one thing they could have done is alter the sound levels.
There are still scenes which are really quiet, which is really annoying as I tend to need to turn these up, but then immediately have to turn the sound down again because of the sound jumping up the it gets a little noisier.

Otherwise I'd give this version full marks.
Didn't the DNR bother you?

I'll admit that the more I watched it, the less I noticed it. Still, it's a shame they didn't do a new remaster using the best of the original elements without any digital enhancement.

I honestly didn’t notice any DNR.
At least nothing which made me think the picture looked really off.
The picture looked nice and clean, and aside from the colours looking a little strong at first, I honestly couldn’t complain about the overall picture quality.

So the complete lack of grain wasn't distracting? or are you someone that prefers films to be grain free and crystal clear?

I actually preferred the clean picture.
Some films suit a grain, but I thought T2 looked great without it.

I actually preferred the clean picture.
Some films suit a grain, but I thought T2 looked great without it.
Thing is, if you prefer that then there are controls on TVs that can achieve the look for you without content makers foisting such abominations on those of us who prefer film to look like film.

Bare in mind that I was watching the theatrical version.
I have no idea what the other versions are like.
For me, this is the best T2 package yet.
3 cuts of the film, including the full and unedited theatrical cut.

Bare in mind that I was watching the theatrical version.
I have no idea what the other versions are like.
For me, this is the best T2 package yet.
3 cuts of the film, including the full and unedited theatrical cut.

The other versions branch in the extra scenes to the theatrical cut and from reports it is quite jarring as they are basically taken from the old master without any attempt to make them match so the colour timing and look change quite drastically.

I had read that the extra scenes hadn't been given the same care as the theatrical version.
Which is a shame.
It does say at the start of the disc that the best quality version is the theatrical cut.

After all these years of not getting it right, you'd have thought this would be the ultimate package of theatrical and extended cuts with the best quality across all versions.

It still doesn't change my opinion, though.
I love the fully restored theatrical version. It's a nostalgia thing. It's the edit I first remember watching, and one I watched over and over. Aside from the high level of polish.

But oddly they look more filmic!

Got the 3D set to give a go as I would have been too annoyed by the 4K DNR job, but would give the 3D a bit more of a pass as its 'immersive'
opened it up and cheapskates have done a black case, but a blue insert!!
Like I'm not annoyed with this set already!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom