Terminator Salvation 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
the DTS-HD track is the same one that is on the standard blu ray isnt it?

If so this will be a skip for me - i do like the movie but am generally pretty happy with the blu.

EDIT: also - decent review as always :)

the DTS-HD track is the same one that is on the standard blu ray isnt it?

If so this will be a skip for me - i do like the movie but am generally pretty happy with the blu.

EDIT: also - decent review as always :)

Haven't done a direct compare and contrast, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Don't mind the lack of Atmos / DTS-X but the lack of extended cut is baffling.

Thanks for the review Cas. I'm a fan of this film, it's ridiculously unfairly criticised in my view even though it's the only sequel after 2 that actually tried to do something different, isn't laced with feeble humour and includes some great action set pieces. Only one aggravation for me is Sony's ever-prominent product placement, even in a post apocalyptic wasteland. Oh yes, and characters with perfect teeth even though toothpaste is presumably in something of short supply in this war-ravaged future...

I agree that the DTS HD track is great but I find it amazing that Sony gave Groundhog Day 4K an atmos track, but not Terminator Salvation!

Last edited:
I think this film was (wrongly) and still is, slated. The visuals are stunning, the helicopter lift off at the beginning being the real deal. YES there's some missteps, and the cast isn't amazing but it's really not THAT bad.

very underrated film IMHO. Every time I watch it I have a smile on my face.

Wont bother with the 4k though as the blu ray is pretty much reference and the lack of DTS-X or Atmos makes this a non starter.

Thanks for the review Cas, if you think the the new Terminator film is better than this one, I think I'll be a) surprised and b) pretty happy! :D

What is the problem with giving two cuts these days? Extra costs in the age of nickel and diming I assume?

Thanks for the review Cas, if you think the the new Terminator film is better than this one, I think I'll be a) surprised and b) pretty happy! :D

They're pretty close mate, ignore the score as, with half marks, they could have easily landed on the same spot. I enjoyed the relentless chase of Dark Fate, whereas there's plenty in Salvation that didn't quite work for me (e.g. once you know the Worthington twist, the opening is immensely slow until the helicopter scene, making you want it to start with that - the Worthington/Carter scene at the start drags, and Connor's arc never feels fully realised to me, I think I'd have preferred if they'd gone with the original shock ending) and plenty that did (the old school terminators were great).

Not seen "Dark Fate", but after 1 & 2 this is is easily the next best film in the franchise.

I went in with zero expectations after "T3", but I was surprised at how good it was and how much I enjoyed it.

Perhaps a major problem lies with the fact that it is part of a franchise - average to mediocre films keep being churned out to top up bank balances, not for artistic or creative reasons (though they always claim they are).

Judged on its own merits, it's definitely worth seeing once you leave the baggage of the franchise behind i.e. don't compare it to 1 & 2.

Hi Cas,

Thanks for reviewing this.

I have all the Terminator films on iTunes and fingers crossed they will all end up getting 4k'ed for free :thumbsup:

I personally like this film a lot, It had some great action sequences and the old Terminator with the mini gun was brilliant :)

Thanks for the Review Cas. I don't actually remember if I saw this! Will have to rent!

I liked Bale in this, Sam Worther's Original sticky toffee acting...not so much.
Has some tense scenes which make it worthwhile, along with the all out action.
Be rechecking it...

Always liked this movie, very impressive cinematically and great sound design! This movie was used to demo a 5.1 B&W setup using Marantz receiver back in 2012 when I worked for Harvey Norman in NZ on a audio training course. I was so impressed that this is one of the reasons I got into HT!

Oh yes, and characters with perfect teeth even though toothpaste is presumably in something of short supply in this war-ravaged future...
Probably not eating a lot of sugar though.

In reality, the rate of dental decay was rather low in the oldest time periods; even though the people may have spent much less time cleaning their teeth, they suffered less from tooth decay than we would expect today because their diets didn't have nearly as much tooth-rotting sugar.

Underrated this one. Really enjoyed it at the cinema and have owned the Blu Ray since release. Watched many times

Just finished watching this. Yep a good Terminator War Movie. I did feel, though, that some of the script was stilted, & some crazy bits of dialogue like Character A getting saved by Character B, only for B to grab A & say "Run!". Like they didn't already get that, having just saved the other one. Happened several times & felt like a bit of a game of "You're it".
But still, 7/10

What is the problem with giving two cuts these days? Extra costs in the age of nickel and diming I assume?
Hi dragontycoon,

I assume you mean what's wrong with offering the Director's Cut in 4K as well?

If so, I couldn't agree more. I think the Director's Cut is better than the Theatrical Cut, and that's why I haven't bothered to upgrade from the 1080p blu ray - which does have a great picture quality anyway.

It was a general comment and not specific to this release.

It was from three years ago, but my original comment rings true today. Far too many releases only offering one cut like The Shining and Apocalypse Now (UK). Nickel and diming the customers and fans. And this was before the pandemic and cost of living crisis...

It was a general comment and not specific to this release.

It was from three years ago, but my original comment rings true today. Far too many releases only offering one cut like The Shining and Apocalypse Now (UK). Nickel and diming the customers and fans. And this was before the pandemic and cost of living crisis...
Apocalypse Now did come in a UK 6 disc set - you had to be quick though. I was! :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom