The Active Speakers spot

And now DSP linear phase is being incorporated into to some budget active studio monitors (which may be within muljao's budget?):

RCF released their Ayra PRO range (5", 6" & 8") last year, I think - all boasting linear phase. The S.O.S. review of a HEDD linear phase speaker suggest it has a subtle yet beneficial effect, although linear phase will always introduce a latency, I guess. And the further down the frequency spectrum linear phase is applied, the longer the latency/time delay. The HEDD's can be linear phase down to very low frequencies though I don't know the frequency range over which the RCF linearizer operates.

The latency issue isn’t a problem for music. Could possibly be for tv and films though.

And I suspect the linear phase capability will be more beneficial in a home environment, and of course even if it is slight is still very welcome and will give plenty for pleasure over the years of ownership.

I seem to recall reading that the full range linear approach latency is quite large too; I’m not sure if TVs or Blu-ray players would be able to cope with the video delay.

I’ll try to find the article.

I'm actually doing a tiny bit of a 180 on what I may or may not recommend going fwd. I have and love a pair of Mackie Mr6 mk3s. I was using them in a small shed (12x10) and an uncle who has a preamp power amp combination more expensive than a small car commented on how good my setup was (before covid 19).

I moved these into my kitchen (about 14 x20 feet) and they were poor. Now, it's bigger, I get it but they sounded lifeless. I tried a set of tdl rdl2 in there and all was good. I experimented and the mackies have a narrow spot where they work very well. They actually have 6.5inch woofers so a room the size of my kitchen should really be ok.

I didn't believe speakers could only be good over a smaller area, but you live and learn.

I had a set of jbl lsr305s, they were less good in my shed, but better in my kitchen.

I still think actives are the way to go, but some monitors may not be ideal for home listening (in my experience)

I'm actually doing a tiny bit of a 180 on what I may or may not recommend going fwd. I have and love a pair of Mackie Mr6 mk3s. I was using them in a small shed (12x10) and an uncle who has a preamp power amp combination more expensive than a small car commented on how good my setup was (before covid 19).

I moved these into my kitchen (about 14 x20 feet) and they were poor. Now, it's bigger, I get it but they sounded lifeless. I tried a set of tdl rdl2 in there and all was good. I experimented and the mackies have a narrow spot where they work very well. They actually have 6.5inch woofers so a room the size of my kitchen should really be ok.

I didn't believe speakers could only be good over a smaller area, but you live and learn.

I had a set of jbl lsr305s, they were less good in my shed, but better in my kitchen.

I still think actives are the way to go, but some monitors may not be ideal for home listening (in my experience)
I think this is a case of 'horses for courses' rather than active vs passive. It's often difficult to predict which speaker will sound best in which room and whilst some aspects of your experince are surprising (like why the small JBL's sounded better in a large kitchen than a small shed), I'm surprised that any speaker sounds good in a kitchen.

It doesn't surprise me that the well-reviewed TDL sounds better in a 14 x 20 ft room than the Mackies. IMO, and I hope I'm not contradicting myself, the Mackies are a bit small for a 26 sqm room. I once used a speaker with 8" drivers (in a 40 ltr sealed cabinet) in a 24 sqm room and that was about right to my ears. The TDL, with it's bigger ported/TL hybrid cabinet was probably a better fit, even though the bass/mid driver is about the same size as the Mackie's b/m driver.

Keep the faith!;)

@dogfonos Yes not so much of passive vs active, just maybe some monitors might not be the best for purely room filling hifi.

You may be correct about the size but the jbl lsr305s did fill the room better (but didn't go as loud)

I'm delighted with the tdls, and I got them for free

Mmmmm.... My only observation here is ...

"using them in a small shed"

If this is not a heated area ( correctly heated ) you might have ended up getting moisture in the cones / speakers... That's never going to be a good thing.

Mmmmm.... My only observation here is ...

"using them in a small shed"

If this is not a heated area ( correctly heated ) you might have ended up getting moisture in the cones / speakers... That's never going to be a good thing.
Insulated and heated

Just noticed Fluance spears.
Only powered, but still interesting.

Ai41 delivered to UK with customs fee paid £360

Ai61 delivered to UK with customs fee paid £440

1638655402315.png

These look interesting

"Bluetooth wireless stereo hi-fi speakers | Argon Audio" Wireless Hi-Fi Speakers

Good to see an active floorstander on the market, albeit a small one. And at around £800/pair with versatile input options (incl. Bluetooth)and sub output, they seem to have covered all bases. They look good too - move over Edifier. Behringer have used the same physical format for some of their active speakers, i.e. all electronics in one enclosure, which is more reminiscent of powered passive designs.

Are the Q active 200 a good speaker now you can pick up for £899. Looking for high res and roon ready.

Are the Q active 200 a good speaker now you can pick up for £899. Looking for high res and roon ready.
An awful lot of write ups on these say how technically great they are but lack musically. Does the fact they are 30+% cheaper than release make that still an issue, I don't know. I love w acoustic stuff but personally will avoid this particular model

The other option I have seen is the Kef LSX they are just under £700 and Roon ready.

The other option I have seen is the Kef LSX they are just under £700 and Roon ready.
Maybe a roon ready player would open up your speaker options such as a node or similar. Also just for balance I'd look for other opinions on the q acoustics because mine is only from reading, I've never actually heard them

Im verging on a pair of active speakers, hesitant only as I have never heard any nor anywhere close that has them to trial, but have now seen a supplier with a clear 30 day return policy so more comfortable that I can try actives out.
Just reached the end of 36 pages of info, bivarrly this thread didnt pop up on any searches id ran so thanks to muljao for posting on saturday

They are to go in a 3.5m x3.5m conservatory with the speaker sitting one side and sofa opposite
Speakers will be below the window sill so have wall rather than glass behind them.
Would I be better with a front ported option such as Adam A5X rather then the rear ported Adam T5V. The T look slightly more elegant than the X and half the price.
Any other front ported options in the up to £650 per pair range that may be slightly more acceptable to Mrs AgentOrange

Im verging on a pair of active speakers, hesitant only as I have never heard any nor anywhere close that has them to trial, but have now seen a supplier with a clear 30 day return policy so more comfortable that I can try actives out.
Just reached the end of 36 pages of info, bivarrly this thread didnt pop up on any searches id ran so thanks to muljao for posting on saturday

They are to go in a 3.5m x3.5m conservatory with the speaker sitting one side and sofa opposite
Speakers will be below the window sill so have wall rather than glass behind them.
Would I be better with a front ported option such as Adam A5X rather then the rear ported Adam T5V. The T look slightly more elegant than the X and half the price.
Any other front ported options in the up to £650 per pair range that may be slightly more acceptable to Mrs AgentOrange
Just for info, thomann and gear4music as well as the argon suppliers all have a 30 day money back. In your position I would pick the ones that I think would suit best and try them. I don't necessarily agree with a/b tests on speakers, I think you need a little time to figure out if you like them

Just for info, thomann and gear4music as well as the argon suppliers all have a 30 day money back. In your position I would pick the ones that I think would suit best and try them. I don't necessarily agree with a/b tests on speakers, I think you need a little time to figure out if you like them
It was gear4music I had seen - have thier site open at home but couldnt remember the name- as they clearly say they expect you to have tried them. I find it an odd practice, I wouldnt buy clothes and wear them then take them back (trying on for a moment accepted) and am never comfortable relying on distance selling regs.

Spotted these a few days ago. Couldn't believe the low cost so I emailed seller to check whether price is for a single speaker or a pair. It was for a pair! And price includes free delivery.

More details:

I've no idea if they're any good but worth a punt if you want a party speaker. It's a Monoprice product which seems to have a whiff of the M-Audio BX8 about it.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
A pair of 8 inch actives for that price is astonishing.

Monoprice have some experience in the US too. Lots in fact.

Got to be a bargain.

Damn. Price has just gone up. A few minutes ago the SV28 were £117.59/pair and now they're £139.99/pair. Still cheap though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom