Quantcast

The Active Speakers spot

gibbsy

Jack Russell?
OK.:blush: I've put my glasses on...….and I'm not going to stick my neck out any further other than to say it's a bull breed?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Enough of the pooch prevarication! What do the speakers sound like?

wizball1974

I picked up the Gold 5's just before Christmas; I am running them hooked up to SMSL SU-8 DAC, with laptop as USB source for CD-quality FLACs.

I am very impressed with what I have heard so far - although these are my first ever studio monitors so I don't have much to compare them to.

The Tannoys certainly are in a completely different league to my existing amp/speaker setup - but that's a Sony STR-DA2400ES driving some ancient Wharfedale Diamond 8.3s in a home cinema config, so I think these were always likely to be a step up.

I am finding the detail and clarity is even outperforming my (none too shabby) headphones, so I am really pleased with my purchase thus far.

Paul7777x

Bargain preamp here...

Four inputs and Bluetooth 5 APT-X.

Anybody after a dirt cheap very good active hifi now has no preamp excuse.

Nobsound are a solid brand. As well as having a funny name :thumbsup:

Double win.

One of the Nobsounds and a pair of, say, these,

gets you some fine music for much less than a passive set up. Less than £400!

Or,

£280 al! in.

Never been a better time for dirt cheap quality hifi.

Paul7777x

Ps, Nobsound have such a good rep, I’d rather happily pair the Preamp,with more expensive Actives.

No reason at all not to add a decent dac to it either.

I’m considering getting one to experiment with my Adams.

If I do I’ll report back.

muljao

Ps, Nobsound have such a good rep, I’d rather happily pair the Preamp,with more expensive Actives.

No reason at all not to add a decent dac to it either.

I’m considering getting one to experiment with my Adams.

If I do I’ll report back.
If your looking to add a dac at reasonable cost the smsl m3 has 3 inputs and a headphone section for about 70quid

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Whilst we are on preamps for actives then these look interesting -

Soncoz dacs with volume control (digital preamp) and fully balanced XLR outs plus coax out.

The more expensive (c£400) SDG1 and the stripped down LA-QXD1 (c£200) have put down some very impressive numbers (SINAD in the 120db region, that up with RME etc.) in some measurement reviews and the designer has solved the ES Sabre THD hump issue. Talking of which, the designer is the guy who did the Khadas Tone Board and regularly posts on the audiosciencereview site. Delivery has been delayed a little due to them finding the ES Hump solution and so have been waiting to put that into full production but units seem to be being shipped and the SDG1 is available at amazon. Just waiting for some listening tests results but the Khadas Dac I have is pretty impressive, nice neutral and tight sound with good bass extension.