The AVF PS4 Bargain Hunters (Penny Pinchers) Thread

Cha1ky

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Seen a bargain too good to miss on anything PS4? Then get it posted.

Know of a great tip on saving some money? Then get it posted.

Scored a superb deal from an ebay seller? Then get it posted.

Found PSN credit dirt cheap? Then get it posted.

Know of an up and coming insider deal. Then get....bah you know the score by now :)

Anything that can save us all some money is always welcome so if your about to purchase something, have a check on here first, just incase.

I'll create a couple of posts to hold some info like setting a US account up to save money digitally etc.

Links Post

Comparison Site(s)

A great site for checking the prices of games. Video Game Reviews, News and Trailers - Compare Prices from dozens of UK retailers

Now it may not search every online store but it does all the main ones and some you may not know. Great for a first check.

PSN Credit + Plus

There's always deals to be had buying credit/plus from online retailers for the instant delivery (email) or posted codes.

One site i use regularly is Playstation Network Wallet Topups and Playstation Plus Subscriptions
Don't forget you can normally get an extra 5% off via their Facebook page too. (if you don't have FB then just ask, I'm sure someone who does will check the latest code for you)

As with all these sites don't forget you may be able to also get cashback on your purchase via Topcashback, quidco etc.

Last edited:
US Account And Digital Purchases

A little trick that can be done to help save money on your digital purchases from the store is to create a US account on your PS4. You then get to buy games at US prices but still play them on your UK account.

The following is a step by step guide done by The_Force to help anyone who is looking at doing this.

Step 1.

For the creation of a US PSN account, it's the same as creating a UK one...just create a new user account on your PS4, choose a random(actual) US address and you're good to go. Its also worth noting its better to create a US account from a state with no tax so the items are that little bit cheaper. Alaska is an example of a state that has no tax. Just google Alaska address for any help finding one.

Then go to Settings>PSN>Activate as your Primary PS4

Step 2.

Some people, including myself (The_Force), have had problems purchasing PSN store cards on Amazon US....where they flag your account because your bank and cc details have a UK address, which leads to Amazon suspending your account.

So in this instance, sign yourself up to PayPal United Kingdom: Pay, Send Money & Accept Payments , then head on over to PC Game Supply and purchase your US PSN cards there, which currently work out at almost HALF THE PRICE of UK PSN cards*. They'll send you your voucher codes via email within a couple of minutes.

Step 3.

Sign in to the Playstation Store(on your chosen device) with your US PSN account details, redeem your PSN voucher codes, buy your game and download it to your PS4.

Step 4.

Simply log in to your PS4 with your usual UK account as you normally do, load the game, and enjoy. :thumbsup:

*there is a monthly limit on the amount of cards you can purchase per account with PC Game Supply, obviously to stop people bulk buying and selling the codes on for a profit.

Also little extra tip:

On the US address, you can sign up with borderlinx for a free account which will give you a legit US address in a state that's tax free for digital purchases.

Big thanks to The_Force for sorting this little guide out. Any questions please feel free in asking them on here.

Last edited:
Is there anyone out there fancy doing a step by step simple write up for creating and using a US PSN account to save some money on your digital purchases? I don't actually do it myself but i know a few do so some money could be saved that way.

PURCHASING PSN STORE CARDS AND GAMES FROM THE US.

Step 1.

For the creation of a US PSN account, it's the same as creating a UK one...just create a new user account on your PS4, choose a random(actual) US address and you're good to go.

Then go to Settings>PSN>Activate as your Primary PS4

Step 2.

Some people, including myself, have had problems purchasing PSN store cards on Amazon US....where they flag your account because your bank and cc details have a UK address, which leads to Amazon suspending your account.

So in this instance, sign yourself up to Paypal, then head on over to PC Game Supply and purchase your US PSN cards there, which currently work out at almost HALF THE PRICE of UK PSN cards*. They'll send you your voucher codes via email within a couple of minutes.

Step 3.

Sign in to the Playstation Store(on your chosen device) with your US PSN account details, redeem your PSN voucher codes, buy your game and download it to your PS4.

Step 4.

Simply log in to your PS4 with your usual UK account as you normally do, load the game, and enjoy. :thumbsup:

*there is a monthly limit on the amount of cards you can purchase per account with PC Game Supply, obviously to stop people bulk buying and selling the codes on for a profit.

Last edited:
Thanks for that mate. I'll bang that into the right post giving you the credit obviously. Also is it worth adding to use an address in a tax free state like Alaska or something like that?

On the US address, you can sign up with borderlinx for a free account which will give you a legit US address in a state that's tax free for digital purchases.

A caution.

One of the big no nos in relation to PSN TOS is chargebacks, and these will almost certainly cause an instant permaban of your PSN account. People have been known to have issues with chargebacks on PayPal, particularly where PayPal initiates the chargeback because they suspect fraud.

This can be a PITA to sort out as you probably couldn't find two worse sets of customer service - Sony and PayPal - to deal with to resolve a problem.

I no longer maintain a PayPal account because they are so ****.

Just did the US route for the first time, pcgamesupply have a discount code on at the mo for $3 it's PSNJULY. Ended up getting valiant hearts for £8.51

Not so much PS4 at the moment but i might set one of these up for the PS3. Is it the same with the PS3 dummy account, download to HD then go through your normal account?

Not so much PS4 at the moment but i might set one of these up for the PS3. Is it the same with the PS3 dummy account, download to HD then go through your normal account?

Yes, works the same way. Actually did this for AC IV, bought it for PS3 and did the $10 upgrade for PS4 version.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Second hand market prices are getting a bit more reasonable these days. Knack is under £15 and Watch Dogs/Infamous in under £25 which is nice to see

Whoooooooa set up the US account last night on the PS3 and only had time to go through the PS1 + 2 bit on the store. My pile of shame is bad at the moment but its about to get alot worse. There is so much good stuff on there for cheap. First downloads are going to be Persona 2, Suikoden + Fire Pro Wrestling

Going to get the account on the PS4 tonight and have a look around there.

Those who've got kids and would like to go to Legoland Windsor, you can order The Lego Movie Videogame for PS4 from Amazon for £21.85 and you get a free child ticket included in the game manual at the back.

A normal child ticket is apparently £41.40 on the day, or £29.98 online so either way you'd be saving and getting the game for free! :thumbsup:

(played some of it this morning and it looks gorgeous)

Cex are also currently buying the game for £11 so you could save further if you want to.

Those who've got kids and would like to go to Legoland Windsor, you can order The Lego Movie Videogame for PS4 from Amazon for £21.85 and you get a free child ticket included in the game manual at the back.

A normal child ticket is apparently £41.40 on the day, or £29.98 online so either way you'd be saving and getting the game for free! :thumbsup:

(played some of it this morning and it looks gorgeous)

Cex are also currently buying the game for £11 so you could save further if you want to.
Now that is some serious penny pinching!

So LOU is going to be $50 in the US which is £29.17 in the above link. For anyone thinking of going digital and uncensored :)

Long as it's only the multiplayer that's censored then I'm good with the UK copy. I'm only in this for the single campaign

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom