The Best Movies of 2018 & Comments

Deadpool 2 was almost single handily ruined by that little kid/sidekick in it. He was absolutely excrutiating...

agree with the top 2 - me and the wife tend to opt for drinks and movies on NYE these days and plan to watch both of these movies again back to back as our films of the year as well.... cant wait purely for the drop over Paris in MI:Fallout.

Hey guys and gals:

My list for 2018:

Blindspotting
Infinity War
Roma
You were never really here
A Quiet Place
First Man
Hereditary
MI: Fallout
Isle Of Dogs
Annihilation
Mandy
The Night Comes For Us (Craziest film I have seen in a long time and I watch a lot of shite)

Small mention to Michael Ware's documentary called Only The Dead which I caught on Netflix recently.
I admit I haven't watched anything that moving in a long time, powerful, thought provoking and in yer face...but not for the snowflakes that one.

I do like to be challenged and that sure did make me squeamish.....I openly admit.

good list Cas

have to agree Fallout was just stunning

Fallout better than the last 3 Bourne movies. No. Better than the last 2, yeah

Nice little list, however I would not rate Fallout (Or any Mission Impossible film for that matter) as Tom Cruise ruins it completely, plus it misses what the original TV series was aiming at. (It’s probably because I was bought up with the original TV series though)

For me, Infinity War has to be top, and can’t wait to see Endgame, although this time I think you will need to see Captain Marvel first (Whereas Infinity War you did not need to see Black Panther first) to fully understand it.

Bill

MI: Fallout was good, don't get me wrong, Cas. Enjoyed it. But, the plot was absolute flaps. The action more than made up for it, but I found it incredibly incoherent.

I also didn't like Deadpool 2 – there are few things worse than Ryan Reynolds. Okay, here's one: Ryan Reynolds with a side-kid.

Sicario 2 wasn't a patch on the first movie. It just went nowhere, and its director was more interested in doing a poor impression of Villeneuve's style than creating something equally competent. Emily Blunt's character not even being in it was the wrong choice in the first place.

I would've put Phantom Thread higher up the list, but it's good to see it made it. Other than that, you're golden. ;):D

Got part of my list mapped out on the other thread, but so far (out of 100+ 2018 films & counting) my top 10 includes:

1. Green Book
  2. Infinity War
  3. Under the Silver Lake
  4. A Quiet Place
  5. Blindspotting (new entry)
  6. Fallout
  7. Hereditary
  8. Annihilation
  9. A Star Is Born
  10. You Were Never Really Here
Far too many honorable mentions to count.

Unfortunately Bond 25 isn't out until February 2020, so we still won't know if it can get close to fallout this time next year. (As a huge Bond fan it pains me to say it almost certainly won't).

No 'Bohemian Rhapsody or' The More You Ignore Me'?, the only films I've loved this year.

Is been a really weak year. The only standout for me was Isle of Dogs. Phantom Thread was solid but so nowhere near peak Anderson. Three Billboards was Also decent but still nothing more than a 6/10 movie.

I thought Hereditary and A Quiet Place were hugely overrated.

(Whereas Infinity War you did not need to see Black Panther first) to fully understand it.

Who is the guy in the Black Suit?
Why are there all these Africans with force shields and advanced technology?
What's so important about (what's it called again..? Oh yeah...) Wakanda (?!?) that a battle has to take place there?

Isle of Dogs
Andhandhun
Mulk
102 not out
Sanju
Roma
Black Panther
Bird Box
Ant man and the wasp
Bumble Bee
Roma
Infinity War
Paddington 2
Burning
Forgotten

I didn't see Black Panther and it didn't hinder my understanding of Infinity War at all. Just watching the trailer of a Marvel Film is usually enough.

Pretty decent list. A mix of popular with the art-house of sorts.

I've never heard of "The Old Man and the Gun" or "You were never really there". Along with Phantom Thread they sound very interesting. But then you could add the film Lucky (which I have seen) to that list.

A Quite Place and 3 Billboards were already in my would like to see (at some point) list.
Sicario 2 has (kind of) mixed reviews for characterisation but I need to see Sicario first.

Totally agree with Infinity War and Fallout being among the best releases this year. Deadpool 2 was very funny but I personally would definitely rate Black Panther above it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only seen Infinity Wars out of those, and I have to say, it was a lot better then I expected. When they said all the latest Marvel characters were going to be in it, I was dismayed, but it actually worked in the end.

Solid 9/10 from me.

Whilst i broadly agree with most of the posts here for me the best film of the year is 'They Shall Not Grow Old'. The way it has been done is spine tingling and timed to perfection.

Sorry but I do no get the high praise for 3 Billboards ....

The movie is so overrated ... full of plot holes. Or do you really think a cop can throw a guy from the balcony without any trial and continue as if nothing happened or the prime suspect puts a police station on fire without being actually questionned or arrested and ... by some “coincidence” the mad ex-cop ends up in same hospital room as his earlier victim (sure they put burn victims in the same room). And then there is the whole tone of the movie which cannot make its mind up (comedy or drama or ...)?

As you can see I do not get why it gets so much high praise even on imdb and now here. One of the most overrated films ever.

My Favourites of 2018, in loose order...

I, Tonya
Three Billboards
A Quiet Place
Deadpool 2
Hereditary
BlackKklansman
Ready Player One
Red Sparrow
First Man
You were never really here
Molly's Game
A Prayer before dawn

..and just for fun... my list of biggest disappointments:

Sicario 2
The Predator
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Venom
Pacific Rim: Uprising

Totally agree with Fallout especially if you watch the entire set beforehand, ties the story up nicely and the action is amazing (and considering Tom is carrying out the stunts - all credit to him, the work that went into the Halo jump is incredible).
Cinematography, soundtrack and audio are all top notch on the UHD.

My top ten in no order whatsoever are:

You Were Never Really There
They Shall Not Grow Old
Widows
Civil War
American Animals
Annihilation
The Shap of Water
Roma
L'Armant Double
BlackKklansman

I haven't seen First Reformed yet, but given the subject matter and writer/director, it sounds right up my street.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom