The Boys Season 1 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I'd give this series a 9/10 for Season 1. Absolutely loved it - lets hope the 2nd season lives up to it (For me, Rogen/Goldberg's Preacher was a bit up and down after a fantastic 1st season)

Thanks Cas. I really enjoyed Season 1 & am looking forward to Season 2 whenever that will be.
Just out of interest, as this is an SDR Blu-ray, what is the PQ versus that of the 4K UHD version on Amazon?

"....thankfully nowhere near as extreme as the comic..."
What is, generally, with most streamers?
So many things start with flesh, adult language and/or violence and then bleed it down as they go with the odd blip here and there to remind you it's 15/mature - oh, and the content rating/detailing at the start of every episode regardless of if it's PG-13 episodes which a lot drift into for example.
Sounds like this isn't worth buying unless a devotee, particularity if you stump up Amazon's sub.
I liked it but wanted it to more resemble the comic, warts and all. Amazon got a little lost in the weeds IMO as to what to keep whilst maintaining viewership - nothing new. The series also had padding (not just in women's tops) where cuts clearly took place with added 'drama/speak' put in its place from the original, making it not so.

The series is extremely graphic. I've seen videos on the comic and I agree with Cas. Be very glad that they didn't follow the comic more closely. I haven't read the all of review because I saw the score lol. In this case, I've seen it, enjoyed it immensely, end of discussion. This for me is easily a 9/10, kind of Watchmen 2.0

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first heard about the comic I liked the idea behind the story and how it subverted the idea of the golden age superhero team. However I thought the comic was obnoxious, nasty and willfully unpleasant. I found reading it an uninspiring and miserable experience. I approached the show with a degree of cautious curiosity and was 'pleasantly' surprised. The show is graphic but not as extreme and as repulsive as the comic. It treads a fine line and on the whole succeeds in adapting the source material, retaining the central conceit which, whilst still mature, is however more palpable for a TV audience. I'll be picking this up and like others look forward to S2.

Good review again Cas. I didn't even know about the comic when this popped up on Amazon so didn't have any preconceptions. I really enjoyed this and am looking forward to series 2. 9/10 from me as well 👍

"....thankfully nowhere near as extreme as the comic..."
What is, generally, with most streamers?
So many things start with flesh, adult language and/or violence and then bleed it down as they go with the odd blip here and there to remind you it's 15/mature - oh, and the content rating/detailing at the start of every episode regardless of if it's PG-13 episodes which a lot drift into for example.
Sounds like this isn't worth buying unless a devotee, particularity if you stump up Amazon's sub.
I liked it but wanted it to more resemble the comic, warts and all. Amazon got a little lost in the weeds IMO as to what to keep whilst maintaining viewership - nothing new. The series also had padding (not just in women's tops) where cuts clearly took place with added 'drama/speak' put in its place from the original, making it not so.

Plenty enough violence throughout for the stable/sane person.

It's a decent season certainly worth a watch. An easy 8/10 for me.

Plenty enough violence throughout for the stable/sane person.

It's a decent season certainly worth a watch. An easy 8/10 for me.
I'll take it under advisement, Doc. No.

It is good but could've been more faithful and with less padding.

The Boys is an aptly titled show because it is mainly for the boys, the demeaning and crude psychotic behavior is mostly about sexual dominance and asserting power, nearly all the characters have psychosexual issues and also probable childhood abuse issues too, especially the women who manipulate whenever they can to get some unresolved personal justice done.
The creators of this story could be interpreted as taking the p**s out of American society, exploring the underlying social / racial discord and the leadership cults that influence US politics today, especially in Washington DC, only in The Boys screenplay these megalomaniacs just happen to be flawed super heroes who like the idea of being worshiped like gods, especially Homelander, which is a curious character name in itself, in fact the fate of the whole human race on Earth depends on the huge public investment in Homelander's super hero 'corporation' continuing.
I liked The Boys, especially the role of Billy Butcher played by Karl Urban, ( we really need to see him in a Judge Dredd series), fellow NZ actor Antony Starr also makes a good return and dare I say he is the star of the show.
The other actors do a good job too, but thankfully do not try to overplay their roles.
This show rates 8/10 from me even with those silly over padded super hero suits .

The Boys is an aptly titled show because it is mainly for the boys, the demeaning and crude psychotic behavior is mostly about sexual dominance and asserting power, nearly all the characters have psychosexual issues and also probable childhood abuse issues too, especially the women who manipulate whenever they can to get some unresolved personal justice done.
I don't agree with you there in terms of it being "mainly for the boys". Apart from several other "strong minded" Women, you have the story of a girl at first being exploited in every way, especially by one particular Man, who rises above that to become very powerful & self-sufficient. That definitely would strike a chord with many Women.
I can only speak for our Household, but my wife enjoyed it as much as I did.

I have now watched this twice, it's just great, as always season two will be difficult to match the excellent season one. However like the expanse it is quality viewing. I also think this really does promote the women in the series in a positive fashion and does not let the men/boys get away with abusive behaviour even though that power dynamic is there it rightly aknowlegdes this and trys to address it even if the main character is seemingly all powerful.

Thanks for another great review Cas - I approached the series with trepidation given my superhero fatigue, but I absolutely loved it and can’t wait for S2! Brilliant casting in this and I love the fact that beneath the facade everything is crumbling for the various characters. Superb.

Well, if nothing else, i look at dolphins in a different light.....

Season 1 was in my top 5 of the 100+ seasons of TV i watched last year..
Must for my collection....

Thanks Cas, loved this, did the whole series across 3 evenings, definitely one of my favourite if not my favourite super hero series.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom