Votes: 60 49.2%
  • with sugar or other sweeters

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • without milk and sugar - black and not sweetened

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • no coffee at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Anybody using a weighted distributor instead of a tamper?
I’ve been reading up & watching (too many) YouTube videos and picked one up to have a go.
not tried it yet, just wondering if anyone else has used one.

87A46135-042A-4D21-9A58-6EF8F3E8CD50.jpeg

Anybody using a weighted distributor instead of a tamper?
I’ve been reading up & watching (too many) YouTube videos and picked one up to have a go.
not tried it yet, just wondering if anyone else has used one.

View attachment 1340635
I have one, yes, dont use instead just use to distribute, nice flat surface then a tamp.
Not really something that makes a huge difference but I'm a suckered for anything that helps 😉

It's that endless quest for the perfect espresso, isn't it? ;)
Haha it never ends Bob.
I went from a Cork with a straightened paperclip to distribute, so even helps smarten the coffee corner haha

Haha it never ends Bob.
I went from a Cork with a straightened paperclip to distribute, so even helps smarten the coffee corner haha

I’ve found a Lyn Weber blind shaker does the job treat as well.

I’ve found a Lyn Weber blind shaker does the job treat as well.
I've seen the videos - $78 + shipping to the UK plus the vat & customs? I don't think so!
Also, my Sage portafilter is 54mm and Weber is only available in 58mm.

I've got a good workflow I think, but my tamp pressure is variable so I thought I'd try the distribution tool - at least it'll be consistent.

I'm also fancying trying a bottomless portafilter.

I've seen the videos - $78 + shipping to the UK plus the vat & customs? I don't think so!

I've got a good workflow I think, but my tamp pressure is variable so I thought I'd try the distribution tool - at least it'll be consistent.

A bottomless PF will help you no end Bob, you can see all the problem areas with distribution in the pour.
Get it right and the pour becomes a thing of beauty, especially the tiger striping

+1 for going bottomless.

A bottomless PF will help you no end Bob, you can see all the problem areas with distribution in the pour.
Get it right and the pour becomes a thing of beauty, especially the tiger striping
+1 for going bottomless.
I hate you both....... ;)

I'll definitely check one out...:D

Yeah, it's not cheap. I picked mine up from the US when I was there anyway - clearly not much of an option at the moment though. In the grand scheme of things though when you start getting down into the rabbit hole of 4-figure machines and grinders, £100 here or there for accessories is a drop in the ocean.

And another vote for bottomless - partly for assessing extraction, but mainly for no reason other than boffin points.

And another vote for bottomless - partly for assessing extraction, but mainly for no reason other than boffin points.
"Boffin points" - superb.....

It does look amazing when you see it pouring, especially slo-mo.......

The MOST important aspect (and i have said this a dozen times already) is FRESH BEANS.
DONT look at the 'best before date' ALWAYS look at the 'roasted on' date.
If the bag doesnt have a 'roasted on' date then choose another make that does.
Try to get the freshest you can and anything over say 3 months will seriously affect your crema.

Take a look at the crema on my pour in the video above. I roast my own beans and they are never really more than 1 week old (allowing a few days to de-gas) when i use them.

Here is another of mine, showing that my grind was a little too fine and not as evenly distributed as it should be,
In reality, does it matter? Probably not. It would take a better person then me to actually taste the difference.
However the crema still looks great and i can guarantee that if the beans were a few months old it wouldn't look anywhere near as good.

I agree totally with everything you've said.
I dont roast my own but the roaster I buy from, roasts the day before or day of sending.

NEVER buy beans from a supermarket

Damn you, damn you, damn you. I'd put a fancy coffee machine down my list of priorities for a while but man do I want one!
For this bottomless method, will it work in any proper espresso machine?

For this bottomless method, will it work in any proper espresso machine?

Yes and no - depends on what you mean by "proper" - if something like a Gaggia classic upwards then yes. No for the very low-cost machines that used pressurised PFs or pods.

You'll also want a precision basket, IMS or VST. Otherwise what you may diagnose as inconsistent distribution may just turn out to be odd-sized holes on one side of the basket.

If your grinder isn't up to scratch you may find that in going bottomless you'll spray coffee all over your machine, counter, self, kitchen etc. And even if your grinder is, most machines that don't pre-infuse will occasionally spritz anyway just to keep you on your toes.

Yes and no - depends on what you mean by "proper" - if something like a Gaggia classic upwards then yes. No for the very low-cost machines that used pressurised PFs or pods.

You'll also want a precision basket, IMS or VST. Otherwise what you may diagnose as inconsistent distribution may just turn out to be odd-sized holes on one side of the basket.

If your grinder isn't up to scratch you may find that in going bottomless you'll spray coffee all over your machine, counter, self, kitchen etc. And even if your grinder is, most machines that don't pre-infuse will occasionally spritz anyway just to keep you on your toes.
I figured as much. Mine uses a pressurised PF. I'm just waiting for the damn thing to die, but it just keeps going and going! I've had the Sage Barista on my list for the next machine, would that be sufficient?

I figured as much. Mine uses a pressurised PF. I'm just waiting for the damn thing to die, but it just keeps going and going! I've had the Sage Barista on my list for the next machine, would that be sufficient?

I'd say so yes. Whilst I've not used them, all of the Sage machines are generally regarded as good contenders at their respective price points.

I'd say so yes. Whilst I've not used them, all of the Sage machines are generally regarded as good contenders at their respective price points.
Excellent.
This is the one I plan on getting.
Sage barista

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I know two people that have one and they're both highly complementary of it, in spite of my encouragement for them to descend further down the rabbit hole.

I do seem to recall (though can't be sure, worth looking up to confirm) that the Barista Express does limit control quite a bit - either the grind time, or the pump time or something like that is pre-programmed and cannot be changed. So you do lose one lever to control the extraction for better or worse.

Alternatives at that price point would be a Gaggia Classic and a handful of grinders - the new price on the Classic these days is well over the odds IMO, but if you're willing to consider S/H you can nab a well cared for one for <£200 and spend the rest on a grinder.

I started off with a Gaggia Classic and Super Jolly grinder.
Ideal starting point if you mod it, Rancillio steam arm and turn the pressure down to 9/10 bar as these tend to come set at 15.

Great little machine and really easy to work on to give you an insight and confidence to work on other machines when the upgrade bug bites. As it will. 🤣

Ideal starting point if you mod it, Rancillio steam arm and turn the pressure down to 9/10 bar as these tend to come set at 15.

Great little machine and really easy to work on to give you an insight and confidence to work on other machines when the upgrade bug bites. As it will. 🤣

And when people inevitably do trade up, some nice modded machines end up s/h.

I've seen OPV adjusted Classics with PIDs go for £200 - IMO you won't reach a meaningful upgrade from here until you reach entry level pro-sumer machines like the £600+ Fracino Cherub.

My starter machine (well after the bargain basement Delongi) was a Classic as well, then a Fracino Classico/Ariete, and then the Londinium R now that I'm fairly sure is my forever machine.

Last edited:
I started off with a Gaggia Classic and Super Jolly grinder.

My mum didn't have much luck with the Gaggia Classic. It worked fine for a couple of years then broke down every few months until she gave up on it. Was her 3rd one as well. First lasted a long time. After it eventually died, she replaced like for like and it the build quality appears to have decreased.

Yikes - I had my Classic for 10 years and it never missed a beat. The pre-Philips ones are generally regarded as "better" but I was never sure if that was true or just something people said when they were trying to sell their older models S/H. What you've said there suggests there's some truth to it!

Yikes - I had my Classic for 10 years and it never missed a beat. The pre-Philips ones are generally regarded as "better" but I was never sure if that was true or just something people said when they were trying to sell their older models S/H. What you've said there suggests there's some truth to it!
Yeah similar to my mum I think. It must have been 10-15 years old when it eventually died. Probably could've replaced all the innards for less than the service costs of her new one outside of warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom