The Cycling Thread: Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
During my hols I cycled right round the Isle Of Wight (just for fun). It's about 100km trip including on and off road. It took me 10.5 hours including about a hours worth of snack and swim stops. It was a hot summers day so the views were spectacular :thumbsup:

This is on my trusty Scott MB, which cost me £350 four years ago. I recently cleaned and serviced my drive train so it rides and looks nice & smooth. My mate who considers himself to be a MB 'enthusiast' has just splashed out £800 on a road bike (on top of his £1,000 hardtail and £2,000 full suspension) that I know he'll never use (thinks he's Bradley Wiggins :)).

Just shows you can have immense fun, acheive some personal milestones and enjoy some great days out without spending an unnecessary fortune.

I have a couple of long rides coming up. I have a 65miler on Sunday, a weekend trip to the lakes to take in some decent climbs the next weekend and then a 75 mile night ride the following weekend with a few 20-30 mile evening rides in between. Joining a club certainly helps keep your miles ticking over.

Got. New pair of tyres for the winter, continental vertical, they feel as good as new shoes! Also got some Cree torches with handlebar mounts for the longer nights and awaiting some lock on grips, might try and get out for a ride tonight to see if handlebar mounts are enough or if I want a head torch too...

During my hols I cycled right round the Isle Of Wight (just for fun). It's about 100km trip including on and off road. It took me 10.5 hours including about a hours worth of snack and swim stops. It was a hot summers day so the views were spectacular :thumbsup:

This is on my trusty Scott MB, which cost me £350 four years ago. I recently cleaned and serviced my drive train so it rides and looks nice & smooth. My mate who considers himself to be a MB 'enthusiast' has just splashed out £800 on a road bike (on top of his £1,000 hardtail and £2,000 full suspension) that I know he'll never use (thinks he's Bradley Wiggins :)).

Just shows you can have immense fun, acheive some personal milestones and enjoy some great days out without spending an unnecessary fortune.

Same as people who spend £20k on a car to get to work when I get to work either in my £1k car or £1k bike !

Got. New pair of tyres for the winter, continental vertical, they feel as good as new shoes! Also got some Cree torches with handlebar mounts for the longer nights and awaiting some lock on grips, might try and get out for a ride tonight to see if handlebar mounts are enough or if I want a head torch too...

I have another light on order which I may use as a head torch depends on if it fits ok under the helmet though

Ridden to work and back every day this week. Only a 13 mile round trip but enjoying it again
Good to get back on the bike after a bit of a break due to weather and hols

I'm used to riding on my own most of the time as its my way of chilling out away from everyone. But a couple of guys at work brought in their road bikes this week so I rode home for about 10 miles with them last night. Good fun and more motivating having to keep up. Couldn't believe how much easier it was slipstreaming as well, average speed was about 3mph faster

Can anyone recommend a good company to insure my bike? I'm not too bothered about 'break-down recovery' (seems a bit odd for bikes to me) more about theft and I guess accidens.

Cheers.

Bottom brackets arrived. Not bad for £21, carbon fibre shell, crank bolts included, and bb cups have rubber seal.

That looks a bit tasty. Will be interesting to if it's any good!

I went out tonight round Leith Hill, enjoyed it so much I might well invest in some proper lights again so I can stay out :)

bluedroog said:
Can anyone recommend a good company to insure my bike? I'm not too bothered about 'break-down recovery' (seems a bit odd for bikes to me) more about theft and I guess accidens.

Cheers.

I have mine insured for theft through my contents insurance. I'm insured for 3rd party liability in accidents through membership of the ctc. I don't bother with accident insurance for my bike.

Had a cracking ride today. I only planned the first 6 miles of my route, after that I just decided to head in whichever direction took my fancy. I ended up on the A58 Halifax road - what a fantastic decision! Awesome climb out of Littleborough, then cut across towards the M62 and rode all the way to Oldham (which wasn't so nice)

There was also a good number of other riders on the A56, meaning I had some overtakes to aim for and a good reason to keep the pace up. The decent on the other side is also cracking. The little road I took

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Li...d=GzgB4piD_QlWzTSrqh4qCw&cbp=12,299.7,,0,9.05

Is such a good place to ride, it even has a few hairpin bends!

Last edited:
I have mine insured for theft through my contents insurance. I'm insured for 3rd party liability in accidents through membership of the ctc. I don't bother with accident insurance for my bike.

Cheers for that, I don't actually have any house hold insurance :eek:
Really just need something for theft, experienced it once and don't want to have that happen again...

Had a cracking ride today. I only planned the first 6 miles of my route, after that I just decided to head in whichever direction took my fancy.

Isn't that just the best? I love just ending up where I end up. Doesn't amtter where you are really, in the country or in a big city, you're bound to see things in a new way.

Cheers for that, I don't actually have any house hold insurance :eek:
Really just need something for theft, experienced it once and don't want to have that happen again...

I can't believe the amount of people that don't bother with house or contents insurance these days, it can actually be pretty cheap considering the amount of gadget's and gizmo's people have these days.
We got our contents insurance for less than £40 for the year this time round and that covers our bikes for theft.

I really didn't realise it was that cheap! I'd always imagined it was £300 a year or something like that. I'll have a look in to it, thanks. I never used to bother with travel insurance either till I got e.coli in Greece and was hosital bound on a drip for a week!

At that price and given bikes can be included I may as well go that route.

Looking for something to clean my chain.

Not really obsessive about cleaning my bike as I usually do the minimum possible but would like to be able to get my chain clean without too much effort:blush: so perhaps something to dip it into or some sort of brush/cleaning fluid to wipe along the chain..

Looking for something to clean my chain.

Not really obsessive about cleaning my bike as I usually do the minimum possible but would like to be able to get my chain clean without too much effort:blush: so perhaps something to dip it into or some sort of brush/cleaning fluid to wipe along the chain..

I think there is a brand called 'muck off' that does a lot of cleaning items, if you're that bothered they also have some device you actually run your chain through to keep it tip top.

Easiest way to clean a chain is to remove it, let it soak on degreaser, dry it, put it back on once clean and then lube it. Obviously having quick links in your chain makes this much easier. But cleaning it on the bike, unless you're just wiping it, is always a pain :)

bluedroog said:
I think there is a brand called 'muck off' that does a lot of cleaning items, if you're that bothered they also have some device you actually run your chain through to keep it tip top.

I use Muck Off, got a kit that has all the relevant brushes in it. Apply, leave for a bit and then scrub off and work with a hose. Comes out spelling :)

Good alternative if you don't want to take your chain off which I don't.

Do they sell chain baths in Lidl?

Last edited:
IronGiant said:
Do they sell them in Lidl?

I bought a chain cleaner from Lidl last year - whilst it was cheap as chips, the bristles were quite soft and so not overly effective. I gave up using it in the end and now just use Muc-Off degreaser and a stiff brush from a cleaning kit in Halfords

I use a chain wash tool similar to the Park tool and do mine once a month or more depending on what abuse the bike is getting and doing so has kept the important bits and costly bits in good shape.

A chain wear tool is well worth adding to the tool kit as well. It will show you when the chain needs replacing and again will help protect the other parts that cost so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom