The Cycling Thread: Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for the replies guys.

It looks like Im in the market for at least one new road tyre after I noticed a buldge in the sidewall of my rear tyre yesterday. Both tyres have been on since new and have done 1600ish miles. My question is should I replace the front and rear together even though the front appears fine. Im planning to put the same Giant PR-3 tyre back on.

Sorry about that everyone, normal service has resumed.

I was walking around town on Sunday when I saw a bloke wearing a skin tight Catelli jersey like a tshirt, with jeans! He must have been a good 4 or 5 stone overweight, so it was doing him no favors.

I wasn't sure how to react, but needless to say I would have been less disgusted if he'd had no shirt and a leather studded thong on.

I was walking around town on Sunday when I saw a bloke wearing a skin tight Catelli jersey like a tshirt, with jeans! He must have been a good 4 or 5 stone overweight, so it was doing him no favors.

I wasn't sure how to react, but needless to say I would have been less disgusted if he'd had no shirt and a leather studded thong on.

Yeah, sorry about that. It had shrunk in the wash and my Mum said it would be fine and no one would notice :rotfl:

:laugh: I have a scary image in my head right now :mad:

:D

Yes, I agree. I went out on the bike for the first time in ages and realised just how unfit I've become! Struggled a bit in some places and wondered while I was doing it, but then saw some Lycra-clad show off take a tumble in the ford and felt a whole lot better! Had to get off my bike as I was laughing so hard! :D

Yes, I agree. I went out on the bike for the first time in ages and realised just how unfit I've become! Struggled a bit in some places and wondered while I was doing it, but then saw some Lycra-clad show off take a tumble in the ford and felt a whole lot better! Had to get off my bike as I was laughing so hard! :D

That wasn't in the Rothbury area by any chance? Just read about someone coming off their road bike through a ford today on another forum, too much coincidence, lol? :rotfl:

broona said:
That wasn't in the Rothbury area by any chance? Just read about someone coming off their road bike through a ford today on another forum, too much coincidence, lol? :rotfl:

No, it was in Essex. Some amateur trying to look the business was showing off for his mates and managed to go straight over the handlebars into the water. Still can't figure out how he did it, but it was hilarious!

Just did my first commute by bike today - a little under 14 miles took just over an hour. Kind of annoying when you're on a nice smooth bit to have to stop at traffic lights all the time - Glasgow is rife with them! Garmin says I burned 865 calories so I'm going to estimate 650-700, to be conservative about it.

Just did my first commute by bike today - a little under 14 miles took just over an hour. Kind of annoying when you're on a nice smooth bit to have to stop at traffic lights all the time - Glasgow is rife with them! Garmin says I burned 865 calories so I'm going to estimate 650-700, to be conservative about it.

Garmin way over estimates the calories. Try uploading your .gpx file to Strava.com - it's a bit more accurate

Kind of annoying when you're on a nice smooth bit to have to stop at traffic lights all the time...

...thank you. :smashin:

As a driver/cyclist nothing pisses me off more than cyclists that flaunt road regulations and just think that they're somehow exempt and can do what the hell they like.

:)

booyaka said:
Garmin way over estimates the calories. Try uploading your .gpx file to Strava.com - it's a bit more accurate

Anyone wear an HRM when cycling ?

Anyone wear an HRM when cycling ?
I do.

As an old git my heart rate can easily get over the theoretical maximum for my age on a steep hill.

Anyone using cycling as a way of losing weight should use one (IMO) to keep the heart rate down in the fat burning zone, rather than sweating away up in the anaerobic zone (or higher! :eek:).

Last edited:
I've got one but haven't used it yet...already feel like I'm packing for a holiday when I'm getting my bike ready..

Anyone using cycling as a way of losing weight should use one (IMO) to keep the heart rate down in the fat burning zone, rather than sweating away up in the anaerobic zone (or higher! :eek:).

There's a little bit of a misconception about this. Without going into too much detail, to lose weight you want the maximum exertion that's sustainable. The "fat burning zone" is a bit of a misunderstanding

The "fat burning zone" is a bit of a misunderstanding
Well as with most things there are conflicting opinions.

However for someone starting out with any form of physical exercise, it is going to be far safer to stick to the typical definition rather than try to find what their maximum exertion rate is from the off. After all, they could find the point at which their exertion becomes unsustainable is the point where the heart stops beating...

An HRM will help keep initial efforts at the sensible end of the spectrum rather than the typical blokey desire to push as hard as possible from the off.

Well as with most things there are conflicting opinions.

However for someone starting out with any form of physical exercise, it is going to be far safer to stick to the typical definition rather than try to find what their maximum exertion rate is from the off. After all, they could find the point at which their exertion becomes unsustainable is the point where the heart stops beating...

An HRM will help keep initial efforts at the sensible end of the spectrum rather than the typical blokey desire to push as hard as possible from the off.

The fat burning zone exists, it's just the point that fat accounts for highest % of energy usage. You burn more fat gross at higher exertion.

Your body is extremely good at managing exertion, so overdoing it is very hard to achieve. Certainly not something you could do by accident.

I have a Wahoo HRM strap that talks directly to my iphone. The data used will input directly to apps like strava, imapmyride, digifit etc so its a useful way to track HR stats within the app.
I mainly use it for estimating calorie burn as (hopefully) its a lot more accurate than the guesstimates the apps give you based on distance/time. Its interesting to look back at your data after a ride though and see the level of exertion - mine is a bit scary on the big hills :)

Attachments

• bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Can anyone recommend some decent mtb tyres ?
I would say I ride 60% tarmac 40% xc.
My tyres at the moment irc 26 x 1.95 to fit hb 575 rim.

On my rims it says 559 x 17 - 317 disc.

Budget is about 15 per tyre or less.

Can anyone recommend some decent mtb tyres ?
I would say I ride 60% tarmac 40% xc.
My tyres at the moment irc 26 x 1.95 to fit hb 575 rim.

On my rims it says 559 x 17 - 317 disc.

Budget is about 15 per tyre or less.

I've been using Maxxis Crossmarks recently and they seem to do the job nicely.

You'll have to shop around but I would think you could get them for around your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom