The Cycling Thread: Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly wouldn't bother me what colour they are!! Just get some new stuff for the bike and be happy!!!

Never had white rims so I have no idea how well they hold up to scratching etc but I think white ones would look pretty good with the rest of the colour scheme. Might depend a bit on the new fork colour though.

Really looking forward to getting out this weekend. Not ridden for two weeks now and the snow is finally starting to thaw. Got a new wider saddle to try out and some fettling with the clipless pedals to do so I can imagine there will be a few stops for fiddling but I want to crack the 40 miles barrier and 1000 m climbing.

Now it is warming up I need to start thinking about what clothing I need to get. What do most people wear mainly in between winter and summer? So far I have just been riding in a base layer and a nylon waterproof cycling top. I get pretty hot on the bike and that does me pretty much all the way down to freezing point but it is terrible for breathability and too hot over 10 degrees or so. It does completely stop any wind chill though.

I had a look in the bike shop today and the choices seem to be short sleeved top and arm warmers and possibly a gillet ( spelling? ) or a thinner base layer underneath. OR a thinnish long sleeved top or a breathable jacket type thing. Cycling clothing all seems pretty expensive stuff for what it is.

Winter - baselayer and Endura Jacket is more than enough
Summer - generally a cotton tshirt and a mountain bike top, even just the top on it's own.

No jacket in the summer.

Check out decathlon/lidl/sports direct for some cheaper cycling stuff - decent quality as well.

Some stuff at CRC as well that's reduce (last seasons etc)

Offers - Massive Savings

Funny video as well

Last edited:
Never had white rims so I have no idea how well they hold up to scratching etc but I think white ones would look pretty good with the rest of the colour scheme. Might depend a bit on the new fork colour though.

Really looking forward to getting out this weekend. Not ridden for two weeks now and the snow is finally starting to thaw. Got a new wider saddle to try out and some fettling with the clipless pedals to do so I can imagine there will be a few stops for fiddling but I want to crack the 40 miles barrier and 1000 m climbing.

Now it is warming up I need to start thinking about what clothing I need to get. What do most people wear mainly in between winter and summer? So far I have just been riding in a base layer and a nylon waterproof cycling top. I get pretty hot on the bike and that does me pretty much all the way down to freezing point but it is terrible for breathability and too hot over 10 degrees or so. It does completely stop any wind chill though.

I had a look in the bike shop today and the choices seem to be short sleeved top and arm warmers and possibly a gillet ( spelling? ) or a thinner base layer underneath. OR a thinnish long sleeved top or a breathable jacket type thing. Cycling clothing all seems pretty expensive stuff for what it is.

Ive already ordered and gone for the white with red hubs "but" in the flow :facepalm:
I know its totally overkill but i want to ride with peace of mind but im also thinking of the future as i might upgrade the frame. I went and held a tub of coco powder in the kitchen that weighs 250g (difference between the flow and crest) and it was a no brainer for me, sooner have the strength.

As for clothes my winter cycling bottoms and waterproof jacket i had from aldi have been superb, great value. Also got a top with long sleeves which ill be using for the mild weather. Summer obviously just shirt & shorts.(hopefully)

Ive already ordered and gone for the white with red hubs "but" in the flow :facepalm:
I know its totally overkill but i want to ride with peace of mind but im also thinking of the future as i might upgrade the frame. I went and held a tub of coco powder in the kitchen that weighs 250g (difference between the flow and crest) and it was a no brainer for me, sooner have the strength.

haha - never listen to best advice eh?:p:p

I would go into the mathematics about rolling weight difference of 250grams being substantially more - but its a bit boring!:laugh:

Enjoy - total overkill but enjoy:thumbsup:

haha - never listen to best advice eh?:p:p

I would go into the mathematics about rolling weight difference of 250grams being substantially more - but its a bit boring!:laugh:

Enjoy - total overkill but enjoy:thumbsup:

:D I know but thanks for the advice anyhow. But as said I'm sort of thinking ahead aswell.
Gutted they won't arrive until about Wednesday. I've got these, rockshox golds, sram cassette, sram chain and new gear cables to go on.

booyaka said:
Winter - baselayer and Endura Jacket is more than enough
Summer - generally a cotton tshirt and a mountain bike top, even just the top on it's own.

No jacket in the summer.

Check out decathlon/lidl/sports direct for some cheaper cycling stuff - decent quality as well.

Some stuff at CRC as well that's reduce (last seasons etc)

Offers - Massive Savings

Funny video as well

Video Link: http://youtu.be/QyTyjQbvylg

I Like the video. He did a good job of it. Reminds me a bit of a story from my coldest ride of last year. I had to strip sharpish up on the moors get more base layers on then ten minutes later got riding with two blokes who were 'all the gear' types. They must have easily had 5 k of stuff between them and they were biking like a pair of snails. We parted company after a while and I sprinted off into the distance out of the saddle to prove some sort of point. I was laughing to myself all the way home about them. Anyway when I got home I walked in through the front door and looked in the hallway mirror and realised I had put my helmet on back to front in the rush to get changed up on the moor. It is one of those helmets that is rounded on the front then has a big protusion on the back in a different colour. My forehead looked like something from an Alien film. Those blokes must have had a right laugh at my expense on their way home.

P.s. The endura jacket looks good but prob more for next year now for me. I have not tried sports direct either so I will have a look on there later. I have got a decathalon waterproof and some aldi and lidl winter stuff but vanity is starting to take hold and I want something just a bit nicer to wear. I have got a bit of a belly and am hairy so the tight short sleeved top option doesnt appeal ( mostly to other road users ). Me and the wife drove past a fat cyclist wearing skiin tight stuff the other day and it didnt look good. I need to find something cut well but slightly baggy. I did try a gillet ( spelling?) from lidl last week but it was stiched together by a blind armenian amputee so I took it back.

redboy1 said:

As for clothes my winter cycling bottoms and waterproof jacket i had from aldi have been superb, great value. Also got a top with long sleeves which ill be using for the mild weather. Summer obviously just shirt & shorts.(hopefully)

I also have the Aldi winter bottoms which have been brilliant ( albeit the womens ones as they sold out in the mens ). I also have the zipped softshell aldi winter top but I find it too sweaty on anything but the coldest days. I would have thought Aldi wont be far off a 'cycling special' week now so hopefully some bargains to be had.

P.s. Dont forget the pics after upgrading!

Doing Land's End to John O'Groat's at end of May with a few mates (well I'm only doing half of it due to not been able to get off work). Was planning to use my £300 9 year old Saracen road bike (Alu frame, Soar group set), but my mate has lent me his "hack" bike for the ride/training...

It's a Trek 5500, with full DuraAce group set, OCLV carbon frame, and MK wheelset, total weight of the bike is less than 7kgs....so just a little bit faster than what I've been training on :D.
8606458594_2c8aba1b13_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, a proper bike instead of all this mountain bike non sense :devil:

:D

You wont want to give that back any time soon!

PS I thought you had some seriously bent rear wheel spokes - then i looked again and spotted the charger plugged in the wall :rotfl:

Triban 5a. Off work tomorrow so will give it a spin in the morning. I'm yet to replace the pedals as I can't find a spanner, off to Tesco to find one shortly.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130402_193649.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130402_193649.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 994
Here's my little baby on a Lidl bike stand waiting for its new wheels!

8a393c09779b4f110ffdfebfbe6a1221_zpsb2d8faff.jpg

It's a Trek 5500, with full DuraAce group set, OCLV carbon frame, and MK wheelset, total weight of the bike is less than 7kgs....so just a little bit faster than what I've been training on :D.

I could loose more weight than that bike weighs., Maybe I should lose the weight then go cycling with one of those strapped to my back as a backup bike.

Triban 5a. Off work tomorrow so will give it a spin in the morning. I'm yet to replace the pedals as I can't find a spanner, off to Tesco to find one shortly.

You might know this but a little tip somone told me the other week to stop you having to use your brain to work out which way to turn the spanner for pedals is to remember "Back Off!" i.e. assuming you are stood above the bike and your hand holding the spanner is above the pedal always turn it towards the back of the bike to get the pedals off.

What wheels are you getting for your LIdl bike stand? The seat and steering wheel look a bit small but having the mini digger on the front must be handy

p.s. That frame is fantastic.

Last edited:
Loving the last few road bikes....keep em coming guys.:thumbsup:

and yesterday I got my old Claud Butler frame out again and continued with the rebuild. It might be worth £25 when it's finished:blush:

I could loose more weight than that bike weighs., Maybe I should lose the weight then go cycling with one of those strapped to my back as a backup bike.

You might know this but a little tip somone told me the other week to stop you having to use your brain to work out which way to turn the spanner for pedals is to remember "Back Off!" i.e. assuming you are stood above the bike and your hand holding the spanner is above the pedal always turn it towards the back of the bike to get the pedals off.

What wheels are you getting for your LIdl bike stand? The seat and steering wheel look a bit small but having the mini digger on the front must be handy

p.s. That frame is fantastic.

That front bucket has been handy this year as the weather has been horrendous ;)

Just about to start a 60min time trial set on one of my TT bikes.

2afd35h.jpg

Please get a proper pedal spanner, its worth it :thumbsup:

First big ride of the year today 50miles on/off road in a Paris Roubaix style. Great fun. I used my MTB with slicks as I didn't have wider tyres for the road bike... seriously want a CX. Can anyone recommend some CXs to look for second hand?

Last edited:

What wheels are you getting for your Izoard? I have an Izoard and am about to upgrade the wheels from the stock Fulcrum 5s.

What wheels are you getting for your Izoard? I have an Izoard and am about to upgrade the wheels from the stock Fulcrum 5s.

Only a set of Campag Zondas, £280 plus 9% cashback.

Weighed the standard wheels and tyres at 3.2kgs :eek: the Zondas will come in at under 2kgs so quite a weight reduction.

Nik

Only a set of Campag Zondas, £280 plus 9% cashback.

Weighed the standard wheels and tyres at 3.2kgs :eek: the Zondas will come in at under 2kgs so quite a weight reduction.

Nik

Nice one. I look forward to hearing how they ride:)

How do I remove this, on a 1980s mtb, my tool doesn't fit, I think I can use needle nose pliers on the holes? What thread would it be?

ForumRunner_20130407_155925.jpg

It'll be a normal thread and needle nose pliers will do it maybe. Jam em in and turn anti clockwise with another pair of pliers or similar.

The tool to get it off shouldn't cost too much though.

mattrixdesign2 said:
How do I remove this, on a 1980s mtb, my tool doesn't fit, I think I can use needle nose pliers on the holes? What thread would it be?

Been a while since I saw one of them. I have had one of those apart a few times as a kid but that was way back . I cant remember now but Is it possible undo all the gubbngs on the other side of the hub and pull it out. Doesnt make sense to me you would get a tool in there for that big nut. I am guessing you use the nut to adjust it out of the hub and then pop it back in and re thread all the stuff on the opposite side.??

Edit. Forget all that. I am talking random pish about the axle. Is it the freewheel you need to get off?. I think you use a freewheel remover and a chain whip to screw the whole unit off the hub which reveals the big nut. Has it got ribs on the inside of the tube bit?

Last edited:

View attachment 388094

To be honest I'd take it to a bike shop to see if they have the correct removing tool.

Why do you want to remove it? Have you a replacement?

John

Just messing about, the wheel is knackered.

Did a 30 miles ride on the Trek today, I know people say 'its not about the bike' but managed 9 Personal best segments, averaged 17mph compare to my previous best of 15.7mph on the same route (a few decent climbs).

Just couldn't believe how much better a top end bike rides compared to my normal bike...though I have gone from Sora/Alu frame to Dura Ace/Carbon fibre frame :laugh:

Cannot see my self parting with the Trek after the LEJOG trip is done..better start saving!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom