The Cycling Thread: Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of interest how many miles have you's clocked up this year.

haven't been getting out as much as I would like so far.

Managed to get out this past 2 Sundays doing 50 miles both times so with the longer evening coming in now I can hopefully get a lot more miles clocked up.

I really want to push it on in the next 2 or 3 months so any advice on training on or off the bike would be grateful.

Out on Saturday on the natural trails at Drumlanrig castle. 2500ft of climbing in 14.4 miles. Sore legs today as that's the most i've done for ages! Also very rooty and rock trails so hard work on the downs as well.

I think I want a new bike...I've been using an old Trek mountain bike with front suspension and 2" wide Marathon Plus tyres - rolling resistance feels pretty high on them sometimes, especially on rough roads. I know my fitness isn't 100% yet but I'm getting sick of road bikers easing past me while I puff along at 2/3 the speeds they achieve.

I work 14.4 miles away, so daily commute is just under 29 miles. Going in to work is more downhill than up, and my best time for that is just over 57 minutes (it could be better if I had a straight run but there are a lot of traffic lights in Glasgow). On the way home my best time is about an hour and five minutes, so my average speed is around 14mph. I'm fairly confident with a road bike and proper tyres I could add a few mph to my average speed.

I've had my eye on the Triban 3 in Decathlon for the past year or so, great price for a decent bike. However the Triban 5 has now caught my eye too. Then there's the option of going all out with my work's Cycle2work scheme, but don't really want to spend ~£1k on a commuting bike.

I'm just looking for a bit of [-]peer pressure[/-] feedback from anyone who's made a switch like this - it seems a no-brainer that if I get a faster, lighter bike I'll enjoy the commute more. On the other hand part of me is thinking "feel the burrrrrrn" and relishing the fact that I have to work hard on the mountain bike. :D

I've been a mountain bike fan since I was 16 and got my GT Tequesta 23 years ago. But the older I get the more I appreciate not having to force a bike to go, so Kav if I were you I'd certainly get a road bike for a commute like that. I'm looking out for one and my commute is only 3 miles :laugh:

, so my average speed is around 14mph. I'm fairly confident with a road bike and proper tyres I could add a few mph to my average speed.

14mph is good going on a MTB imo!

I made the switch last year, i haven't looked at my MTB since. I dont commute to work but if i did i think i would consider a cycle cross bike. Even some of the pros were using them yesterday in the Paris-Roubaix

14mph is good going on a MTB imo!

I made the switch last year, i haven't looked at my MTB since. I dont commute to work but if i did i think i would consider a cycle cross bike. Even some of the pros were using them yesterday in the Paris-Roubaix

I'm not sure the roads of Glasgow are really comparable to the cobblestones of Paris-Roubaix though :D

kav said:
I think I want a new bike...I've been using an old Trek mountain bike with front suspension and 2" wide Marathon Plus tyres - rolling resistance feels pretty high on them sometimes, especially on rough roads. I know my fitness isn't 100% yet but I'm getting sick of road bikers easing past me while I puff along at 2/3 the speeds they achieve.

I work 14.4 miles away, so daily commute is just under 29 miles. Going in to work is more downhill than up, and my best time for that is just over 57 minutes (it could be better if I had a straight run but there are a lot of traffic lights in Glasgow). On the way home my best time is about an hour and five minutes, so my average speed is around 14mph. I'm fairly confident with a road bike and proper tyres I could add a few mph to my average speed.

I've had my eye on the Triban 3 in Decathlon for the past year or so, great price for a decent bike. However the Triban 5 has now caught my eye too. Then there's the option of going all out with my work's Cycle2work scheme, but don't really want to spend ~£1k on a commuting bike.

I'm just looking for a bit of [-]peer pressure[/-] feedback from anyone who's made a switch like this - it seems a no-brainer that if I get a faster, lighter bike I'll enjoy the commute more. On the other hand part of me is thinking "feel the burrrrrrn" and relishing the fact that I have to work hard on the mountain bike. :D

Mudguards can be a bit of an issue with the Triban r.e commuting. The clearance is minimal. If you want tyres more than 23mm then you are jiggered. If you stick with 23 mm tyres then there is only one or two mudguards you can squeeze in between the tyre and brakes.

Does anyone use footbeds in their cycling shoes?

Been having a few setup issues and having read Steve Hoggs guides several times he seems to rate having good arch support as being one of the first things to get sorted in regards to shoe and cleat set up. Would be interested in opinions if anyone has got them.

I am also curious to know if anyone uses a cleat wedge to help align the foot. My right foot doesnt seem to sit right on the peddle. A bit like I am not getting the weight on the inside of my foot enough .I bought specialized mtb sport shoes which alledgedly already have some sort of slight angle built into the sole. Strange thing is I used to get pain in my left knee with flats that I havent had since and now get more pain in my right knee which never hurt before.

Last thing I would be interested to know is how equally positioned people have their cleats from one shoe to the other? Mine have ended up a good few mm different front to back from one shoe to the other ( maybe 10 mm or so) but my feet dont look anything like the same distance different in length?? Thing is, if I set them up using a guide roughly level with each other when I ride I still feel like one needs to go back and the other forward.

Its all got a bit confusing

Well been waiting to bid on a specialized Allez on ebay all weekend and was highest bidder but it went £50 over my budget this afternoon right in last few seconds.

Thought I'd check decathlon again just in case they got any more stock of triban 3 and to my amazement they had the largest size available for 1st time in last 6 weeks I've been checking! Promptly ordered it, when it arrives I just need to explain to the wife how I said I was only spending around £220 but spent £80 more...

Anyone seen the Decathlon CX bike in the flesh/

Now that our grandchild is 2 my better half had decided that we should get a child bike trailer and I could tow her along ( grandchild not better half).

There are a few local to us on gumtree/ebay and wondered if anything to look out for or avoid.

Finally finished putting my new shiny bits on the old girl :D

New Roxhshox recon golds with poploc
Superstar switch evo hubs with stans flows
Sram cassette
Sram pc971 chain

IMAG1781_zps5f17390c.jpg

IMAG1783_zps6f9d0345.jpg

IMAG1779_zps65e7f1be.jpg

IMAG1778_zps631b4b8b.jpg

Feels like a hole new bike. Seems a lot more responsive on the turns and bumps are non existent with the recon golds.
I cant seem to get the gears working perfect though. Not sure if my derailler might be getting too long in the tooth or maybe the shifter.

Also my hope mini caliper is sitting about 5mm off the rotor, Got the KCMC adapter on it but ive had to put washers between the post mounts and the adapter as it fouls the fork otherwise.
IMAG1766_zps064ddfcc.jpg

Its working ok but could do with investing in a 10mm bigger rotor in the future.
All in all im well happy with the purchases :smashin:

No but could pop and have a look poss weds. Tis over the road from my supermarket. No bother. I cant have a look at other stuff while there.

Our local decathlon only has them to order, none on show.

So... now the weather is getting better i'm thinking it might be worthwhile getting a bike, getting a bit of exercise, saving petrol and biking to work!

I'm a complete bike idiot - what should I be looking at? £1000 or so.

So... now the weather is getting better i'm thinking it might be worthwhile getting a bike, getting a bit of exercise, saving petrol and biking to work!

Don't do it....the amount of money you can spend on bikes just goes up and up (abit like AV/Photo gear!!).

Been happy with my £300 9 year old Saracen road bike for ages, now that I've had a taste of what a really good road bike is like the spending has already started....just bought some new wheels on eBay..for my non-existent "new" bike :facepalm:

For £1000 I wouldn't be afraid to look at 2nd bikes, the bike I'm training on now (Trek 5500) is 9 years old but because it was built as a top spec race winner it still feels as tight and fresh as anything else I've ridden.

300 plus will get you something decent, spend more and you will see the weights go down, quality of components up. That's not to say a 600 bike is better than a 300 bike.

You also pay for the brand if you want something well known.

Personally I would be wary of spending 1k on my first bike (I have never spent more than 800), its important to see if you enjoy the sport and understand what bike will suit your needs, so much choice these days.

Anyone recommend what wheels to get for around 300(pair). Currently running Mavic Aksiums, thinking of Kysirium Equipe S? They come with tyres that I don't need. Anything else to consider?

They will be going on an Allez with 105, used for club runs and sportives

Anyone recommend what wheels to get for around 300(pair). Currently running Mavic Aksiums, thinking of Kysirium Equipe S? They come with tyres that I don't need. Anything else to consider?

They will be going on an Allez with 105, used for club runs and sportives

I'd go (and just have) hand built.
I went for A23 rims, Sapim laser spokes, with race on the drive side rear, and Miche hubs - sub 1,700 grams, all fully replaceable serviceable parts.
Having just had a nipple break on one of my DA spokes and the nightmare that i am having in tracking the parts down these should be a lot easier to maintain should anything happen. These are for my cross bike but i plan to have them interchangeable between this and my summer bike :)

I'd go (and just have) hand built.
I went for A23 rims, Sapim laser spokes, with race on the drive side rear, and Miche hubs - sub 1,700 grams, all fully replaceable serviceable parts.
Having just had a nipple break on one of my DA spokes and the nightmare that i am having in tracking the parts down these should be a lot easier to maintain should anything happen. These are for my cross bike but i plan to have them interchangeable between this and my summer bike :)

But you can you get them handbuilt to a similar spec for £350/pr?

But you can you get them handbuilt to a similar spec for £350/pr?

Mine have cost £260, i went for 28/32 for additional strength/stiffness.
I placed on order here.
I basically thought through what i wanted from a set of wheels for the cross bike and my budget/weight and contacted the above guy and he advised me as to what i could get/what he could do.
He advised the Miche hubs due to them being cartridge bearing and the wet weather use they are going to and steared me away from Ultegra depsite them costing more. This is what he said on that subject;

105 and ultegra hubs are good at what they do but they do weigh a lot - 500g! 105 hubs are £64 and the ultegra hubs are £120. Also being cup and cone they will need TLC and if they are neglected the hub shell will wear making it unusable.
The Miche hub are lighter and use replaceable cartridge bearings so the hub shell will never be subject to wear.

I was going to go for a set of Ultegra but for £30 more went with hand built as i also wanted to use 28c tyres and the Ultegra recommend 19-25 and i have read that they are a pain to get tyres on and off.

These are the rims i am getting, and the hubs.
I get the wheels in about two weeks so cannot vouch for the build quality so far but service has been good up to now. He called the other day to confirm the details and i could then ask questions, like should i go 24/28 or change to lighter spokes etc :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom