The Cycling Thread: Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice.:smashin:

Have short-listed the 314 for whenever i get around to getting a FS.:rolleyes:

Also off to Afan (love the Whites trail) in May. Have to make do with my Hardtail (just put a replacement new fork on it) though as i can't see my getting the FS in time.

Nice.:smashin:

Have short-listed the 314 for whenever i get around to getting a FS.:rolleyes:

Also off to Afan (love the Whites trail) in May. Have to make do with my Hardtail (just put a replacement new fork on it) though as i can't see my getting the FS in time.

Can't wait for Afan, have a load of trips planned to Cannock too this year.

Also just ordered a few replacement parts for it. Got some wider handlebars and shorter stem from Spank. Also got the Spank Spike pedals, and the ODI Yeti grips!

So now in our riding group, we have a Zesty 214, 514 and a 914.

Anyone seen the Decathlon CX bike in the flesh/

Not sure exaclty what bike you mean but if it is this one:

Cyclo Cross - Road Bike B'TWIN - All Bikes - On sale at Decathlon.co.uk

Then Sheffield does have one on display. My wife sent me on a mission to get camping stuff for the kids and I popped in this morning. Thoughts were it was nicely specced but a bit old fashioned looking in regards to the two tone paint job on the frame. Not the greatest paint job I have seen on a bike tbf.

Seemed to be a few old stylee Triban 3's in if anyone is still on the look out?

Not sure exaclty what bike you mean but if it is this one:

Cyclo Cross - Road Bike B'TWIN - All Bikes - On sale at Decathlon.co.uk

Then Sheffield does have one on display. My wife sent me on a mission to get camping stuff for the kids and I popped in this morning. Thoughts were it was nicely specced but a bit old fashioned looking in regards to the two tone paint job on the frame. Not the greatest paint job I have seen on a bike tbf.

Seemed to be a few old stylee Triban 3's in if anyone is still on the look out?

Thats the one and its ugly as hell :eek:

KhalJimbo said:
So now in our riding group, we have a Zesty 214, 514 and a 914.

That's nearly 10k there! Given how many stories there appear to be of late about bikes going walkies in Trail parks :-( i'd be advising you don't all go for a p*** at the same time!

P.s. Meant to ask how easy it is to re-tape road bike handlebars? I have done it before but that was 20 years ago!

I want to get my tops flatter but it means the levers are pointing a bit skywards and I can't reach the brakes from the drops. I was wondering whether I can carefully unwrap my existing tape and re-use after adjusting the lever position.

If not what tape do people like using? The bars are a bit hard as is so if its not a dear do for the tape I might go the whole hog and get something a bit comfier.

That's nearly 10k there! Given how many stories there appear to be of late about bikes going walkies in Trail parks :-( i'd be advising you don't all go for a p*** at the same time!

Theres also a Specialized Enduro. Not heard of these bikes going walkies. Will defo keep my eyes on mine now when we go out!

clc.sheff said:
P.s. Meant to ask how easy it is to re-tape road bike handlebars? I have done it before but that was 20 years ago!

I want to get my tops flatter but it means the levers are pointing a bit skywards and I can't reach the brakes from the drops. I was wondering whether I can carefully unwrap my existing tape and re-use after adjusting the lever position.

If not what tape do people like using? The bars are a bit hard as is so if its not a dear do for the tape I might go the whole hog and get something a bit comfier.

I found it an absolute doddle. There's a few tutorials on youtube.

Try some thicker tape if they're a bit hard. You can get it for under a tenner.

Take ur time and bar tape is easy enough. Just practice with the stuff u have, mine is re useable and I replaced it after changing the groupset. . . Its stock specialized stuff buts its dead comfy.

ewww, don't like it:D

Only kidding, not read the article but is it to put into production??

I doubt it - I liked the bit which said (it's part motor powered btw) that doing a wheelie turns it into a type of Segway, so the motor does all the balancing :D

The seat is the worst thing about it, looks like form over function.

Very fast conditions around Sherwood Pines earlier today.

Few puddles but off the racing line so came back 100% dry. Fastest lap by 4 mins so far this year too. New fork a help along with the fast ground.

Was a demo day on so got to try out 3 bikes.

29" Hardtail
29" FS - 80-100mm travel
29" FS - 120/30mm travel

Wasn't too keen on the Hardtail. Obviously a lot smoother ride. Too a while to get used to the monster wheel in my face though lol.

Next up the short travel FS. Easy to blitz around Pines as it's not too technical. Easy to keep up with my mate too (26" FS) which i can't normally do.

Pretty much steamrollered across the ground with that one. Couldn't live with my mate in the twisties but soon caught up after.

Finally the longer travel FS. Initial reaction when i peddled off was that it was a bit of a tank but once on the course, it didn't matter. Straight from the off, the first section of the red route was despatched without fuss. Absolutely effortless.

Did 4-5 sections of the pines (1/4 of lap) and just thundered round. Mullered everything in sight. Bumps, exposed tree stumps etc etc that i would avoid on my hardtail, i just road straight over everything lol.

Half the time i was free wheeling behind my mate as he peddled almost continuously.

Conclusion.

Was set on getting a 26" FS but not so sure now.

What i'm pretty sure of is that one bike doesn't fit all/suit all rides.

Over time i'll eventually have 2-3 bikes to cover all scenarios.

Being able to keep up with my technically superior/fitter mates is a nice feeling though if i got a 29" and food for thought.

The only 2negatives were directional changes (Hard to turn a 29" on a sixpence) and the slightly sterile experience of the 29" when zooming through the forest when compared to a 26"

Interesting times.

Interesting about 26/29. It's got me wondering myself about which to get as well. FS a bit out of my price range with only 1k to play with, but still handy so thanks!

I want a 29er, titanium hardtail.

Don't have a spare £2k plus though :)

Dometheone how tall are you? I admit I haven't tired a 29er, but I can't help but think they would only suit larger riders. What about the size between 650b or what ever its is!?!

Aye 650 might be a good compromise.

Still not 100% sure the industry is committed to the size though.

It's the only bike i've not tried now so i think i'l seek it out next.

I'm a shorty at 5ft 7 and a bit.

thesilverfox said:
Interesting about 26/29. It's got me wondering myself about which to get as well. FS a bit out of my price range with only 1k to play with, but still handy so thanks!

Mate of mine has the Boardman team FS. Stunning value at £1050. We were looking at the parts on his and the demo bike i had (retail 2k+) and a chunk of them were the same.

If i was in the market for a 1k FS i'd have bitten the bullet a while back. Fortunately, it can be a fair bit higher and I want to be 100% sure when spending chunks of cash :)

I will stick with a 26 ht just for the climbing ability :)

I like the climbs too. Eventually i'll replace my hideously heavy 13kg HT for a 10kg lightweight.

Since i already have a HT, a FS comes next though but the HT was my first bike (crappy GT)

I'm almost as excited with the thought of getting a nice new HT as the new FS though lol.

My other issue with the 29er is excess weight, cost of parts (wheels tyres) and in general the spec seems lower pound for pound. Then you have that other size and its bloody confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom