The Cycling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
yup so much more efficient, going to work you don't want to tire yourself out so cycle slower. On a MTB you'd be virtually going at walking pace

Not quite sure who's mountain bike you're riding but I've often hit 40mph on mine :rotfl:

Not quite sure who's mountain bike you're riding but I've often hit 40mph on mine :rotfl:

You could maybe hit terminal velocity off a tall cliff :)

You could maybe hit terminal velocity off a tall cliff :)

I am a bit of a fatty to be sure which will help on the down hills.

Unfortunately it all evens out on the climbs :D

edit: checked in my logs - 37mph max. My mistake :D

Last edited:
Here's my cycle of choice chaps...

MARIN Belvedere Commuter Hybrid - 2008 Model

Acquired using the Cycle To Work scheme back in 2009

Use it to cycle too and from work pretty much 3-4 days a week.. 19.5 Mile round trip. (90% Cycle Path / 10% Road)

Use the back pannier to carry a change of clothes for work when I get there. It also holds a puncture repair kit and a spare inner tube in the side pockets.

Marin.jpg

Marin2.jpg

When I ride I wear crotch & bum padded Altura cycle shorts with just a t-shirt or sweater on top when chillier. Also wear a Black Altura water resistant and reflective jacket for when the weather is bad.

Use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres which work a treat..

Also use a Cat-Eye Vectra wireless trip computer to keep a track on distance and speed I am travelling.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my bikes.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110620_161352.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_161352.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 137
  • ForumRunner_20110620_161426.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_161426.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 152
Just started riding.Want to get fit and lose weight so thought I would give cycling a go.Bought a Specialized Allez a couple of weeks ago.Done a couple of 25 mile trips.My aim is to be able to cycle to work (11 miles each way) and save myself some money.The only thing putting me off TBH is the fact that I will have to get up even earlier,I get up at 2.40am as it is now!!!

Is that after strapping jet turbine onto the seatpost?

I've had 44.7mph on my MTB and that was before I fitted semi-slicks.

Just because it's an MTB it doesn't mean it's heavy & slow - a hardtail Fuji SL frame, carbon forks and other bits mean it weighs the same as one of these :smashin:

I've had 44.7mph on my MTB and that was before I fitted semi-slicks.

Along the flat? If you've done 44mph on the flat, mile after mile then you'd need to sign up for olympics.

Or cycling off a cliff? Down isn't included.

Most I've done on a road bike, on a flat is 35mph. That's 1-2 mile sprint. No way you did 44mph under your own power.

I'll put my 2p in before this thread turns in to an MTB v Roadbike argument.

I've got a Giant XTC SE with semi slicks on it pumped as hard as they'll go, great MTB, not so great on the road but considering my commute is only 2.2 miles it's more than adequate.

I wear an endura top with a cheapy JJB fluoro jacket over the top which will soon be replaced by a freestyle gore-tex jobby for £17 off evilbay. I wear some joggers with padded endura undershorts on the bottom and my Shimano M077 shoes. I'm looking for a cheap windproof top too and also gonna try some humvee trousers if I can get em cheap. I can't bring myself to go lycra yet.

Stuff is currently carried in a rucksack but I'm sick of getting a sweaty back so I'm going to ruin the look of my bike and get a carrier and bag fitted. I used to have a topeak MTX bag on my work bike which was fantastic so will probably get one of those.

Also got some mudguards fitted for the soggy days.

Giant XTC SE by Dave W, on Flickr

dave do you lock out suspension when riding onroad? Should do as you lose power.

Berties said:
dave do you lock out suspension when riding onroad? Should do as you lose power.

I've tried both and tend to leave suspension on. The roads are awful round here and I do use the canal too so it's far comfier. I don't mind the slight efficiency loss.

Have no problems myself and that's with 28mm tyres and 60 miles ride, no fatigue in my hands.

Used to cycle the 7 miles to work but I get a much better work-out running it to work and back.

Berties said:

I wouldn't say locking out front suspension makes a lot of difference with efficiency, locking out rear suspension is a different story though.

Excuse the messy garden.

34465_10150215798795296_648660295_13071461_1185101_n.jpg

My DH bike, that doesnt get used enough.

Riding kit includes a custom painted Fox Rampage lid, Dragon Rockstar energy goggles, Fox 360 shorts, Fox digit gloves, Raceface kneepads, usually a random Tshirt and some skate shoes.

Last edited:
I recently bought myself a cannondale caad 8. Been using it to get to work a few mornings a week. Splashed out on some shimano shoes and Spd pedals, very good purchase.
I am on the lookout for a good waterproof jacket, like the look of the altura ones, nightvision.
My commute is only about 7miles each way, managed to average just over 15mph today on the way home, really pleased with that. I use the endomondo app on my phone at the moment but hope to get a garmin computer before the end of the year.

I recently bought myself a cannondale caad 8. Been using it to get to work a few mornings a week. Splashed out on some shimano shoes and Spd pedals, very good purchase.
I am on the lookout for a good waterproof jacket, like the look of the altura ones, nightvision.
My commute is only about 7miles each way, managed to average just over 15mph today on the way home, really pleased with that. I use the endomondo app on my phone at the moment but hope to get a garmin computer before the end of the year.

I have an Altura jacket (Nevis?) its fine for winter, but heavy going for summer, so I now have a DHB which is nice and lite and small when packed :thumbsup:

Stuff is currently carried in a rucksack but I'm sick of getting a sweaty back so I'm going to ruin the look of my bike and get a carrier and bag fitted. I used to have a topeak MTX bag on my work bike which was fantastic so will probably get one of those.

Thats what put me off using a Rucsack, even tried the Berghaus ones that have a breathable mesh net between the sack and your back, but still doesn't really improve matters that much. Although a Pannier & Bag don't particularly look aesthetically pleasing on your bike, they're much better for riding more comfortably and reduce the sweat ratio ten-fold. :smashin:

I wouldn't say locking out front suspension makes a lot of difference with efficiency, locking out rear suspension is a different story though.

I'd say it does. Upgraded my old rigid MTB to suspension, boy did it make it slower. Was like having a brake rubbing slightly, so much lost in power couldn't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom