The Cycling Thread

Cheers for the link. I was going to deffo buy one as a spare and maybe straighten my existing one. I suppose it depends how often they get bent. It could even be the deraillier I have issues with tbf. Something is a bit twisted and I cant tell if its one or the other.

Finding the right one would be a start. i have only found one website that states it is the right one for my bike so far and they are £19 plus postage.

I might have to fire a post off on Bikeradar and see if other Boardman users can help

IMO the adjustment tool is a worthwhile investment, an out of tune rear hanger will mess up your shifting.

Here is some more from the park tool site:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-hanger-alignment

As long as the hanger doesn't break when bent back it'll be safe to use.

If you need to replace the hanger, also look at halfords, they do one for around £6.50.

C2C on Saturday, 135 miles or thereabouts in one go.

Had the whole week planned training and nutritionally but at the last minute have had to go to Paris with work this morning until Friday :(
The whole thing for me was a nearly a disaster before it started. Having to use the the Eurostar so will be travelling all day Friday to get to Carlisle so my friends can pick me up from there.

Nice one, hope it all works out.

There's a few from my work aiming to do a charity thing - 120 mile cycle from Glasgow to the foot of Ben Nevis, followed by climbing it. Plan is to allocate 8 hours to the cycle and 5 hours to the ascent/descent (on foot). I'm very keen on doing it but have never spent that long in the saddle. Do you have any specific guidance on things to consider for a journey of that length? Cheers.

C2C on Saturday, 135 miles or thereabouts in one go.

Had the whole week planned training and nutritionally but at the last minute have had to go to Paris with work this morning until Friday :(
The whole thing for me was a nearly a disaster before it started. Having to use the the Eurostar so will be travelling all day Friday to get to Carlisle so my friends can pick me up from there.

Good luck!, doing it one go is impressive. I only ever manage it in three days. The start of the C2C is only half a mile from my house and at the moment its the height of the season, seems like everbody is doing the C2C or the Hadrians or the Rievers which all pass thru whitehaven, you might get caught in a cycle jam :)

I know it's out of season but I'm ordering some safety gear through salary sacrifice at work.
I need some winter water proof gloves a new helmet and some lights I can order from a company called cycle solution's.

Anyone any recomendations ?
. Helmet - Chose the Popero III
2. Bag - I currently have a Knog courier type bag with 2 compartments - It was waterproof but it's lost some effectiveness and the 2 zips have broke. I can fit into it 1 pair of shoes, Shirt, Trousers at a stretch and it has an outside pocket for Mobile phone which is great. I could do with one simialr size able to fit in 1 pair of shoes, Shirt, trousers, and a Document wallet for work. Must be fully waterproof as this is used all year around.
3. Gloves - Had the Endura waterproof long winter gloves since 2009 - £25 from new. Waterproof yes - Not warm though under 5 degrees but too warm in summer rain. Ideally need maybe 2 pairs - 1 all year round waterproof and 1 Winter warm gloves.
4. Lights - I bought some cheap 1200 lumens off Amazon which laster a year until the wires came apart. Probably get another rear Smart 1 watt but want something robust to be used through the dark season for the front.
Thanks

Waterproofing ... have you considered using something like a convertible roof protector? Gtechniq i1 can be used to waterproof (rather, water repel) more or less any material you like. If the zips are fixable, this might be a cheap alternative.

I'm intending to protect our mohair roof and a few garments to boot :smashin:

IMO the adjustment tool is a worthwhile investment, an out of tune rear hanger will mess up your shifting.

Here is some more from the park tool site:
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Rear Derailleur Hanger Alignment

As long as the hanger doesn't break when bent back it'll be safe to use.

If you need to replace the hanger, also look at halfords, they do one for around £6.50.

Thanks for that TinoM . There is a slight twist going on. I have to set the limiter screws very slightly too far apart for it to index properly. Its also running a bit loud.

I did see the Halfords one on the website but I am not sure if my bike is a 2010 model. I cant get at my bike right now but I thought my hanger has an extra set of holes drilled in it than the one shown. I assume they must carry spares for the newer models though if thats not the one?

Thought i'd share this as its the only picture of me on my bike in battle gear! It was taken during a social ride last night.

You need to be descending on those drops, other than that you look pretty cool

Good luck!, doing it one go is impressive. I only ever manage it in three days. The start of the C2C is only half a mile from my house and at the moment its the height of the season, seems like everbody is doing the C2C or the Hadrians or the Rievers which all pass thru whitehaven, you might get caught in a cycle jam :)

Thanks a lot. I think the time we will be leaving out we will wont be getting caught in any Jams i wouldn't have thought anyway - 5 am!!!

It must be great living up that way with all those hills and terrain?

Last edited:
Waterproofing ... have you considered using something like a convertible roof protector? Gtechniq i1 can be used to waterproof (rather, water repel) more or less any material you like. If the zips are fixable, this might be a cheap alternative.

I'm intending to protect our mohair roof and a few garments to boot :smashin:

Yes I have but I have an issue fitting everything in the bag I probably will try this waterproofing though

. 47mph feels pretty scary on a bike - anything under 40mph much less so in my experience.
It does, when I'm hitting those kinds of speeds all that keeps going through my mind is if anyone pulls out now I am FUBAR'd

Think I am decided on gloves.
Just lights and a bag

Thanks a lot. I think the time we will be leaving out we will wont be getting caught in any Jams i wouldn't have thought anyway - 5 am!!!

It must be great living up that way with all those hills and terrain?

As long as you accept, whichever way you go it will be uphill :laugh:

Thinking of buying a road bike on the Cycle2Work scheme.

I'm no enthusiast, I have a mountain bike (specialized rockhopper), but I thinking of a road bike to get some exercise.

I would have to use Halfords on the scheme which gives me a choice of these two

Halfords | Boardman Road Team Carbon Bike Limited Edition 2013 - Large 55.5cm

Halfords | Boardman Road Team Bike 2012/2013 - Large 55cm

What I'd like to know is

A - are they any good

B - which is the better of the two

The first is a Limited Edition with carbon frame so it immediately jumps out but I notice that components are different and could well be worse.

So basically, I'm a newbie trying to figure out whether the Limited Edition is carbon frame but with lessor components.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes they are fantastic value for money IMO.

If your not planning on upgrading components any time soonI would go for the non carbon as its better spec.

If your in no rush, wait until the tour of France starts at in 3 weeks - last year Halfords had 20% off most Boardman bikes while the tour was on.

When buying a bike I consider if I want to keep it for a while, or use for a short time and sell on.
If I want to keep then I look at the frame first and the components second and I think you know what I was going to type next.

Yes they are fantastic value for money IMO.

If your not planning on upgrading components any time soonI would go for the non carbon as its better spec.

If your in no rush, wait until the tour of France starts at in 3 weeks - last year Halfords had 20% off most Boardman bikes while the tour was on.

I forgot about that!

Hopefully, the same will happen this year as i'll be straight down there to pick up the mtb pro for a bargain 800 notes :)

I would say there is naff all in it component wise. Some stuff is slightly downgraded on the carbon framed bike but its still thoughtfully specced.

Basically bar slightly smoother shifting the most significant thing I can think of is the cables are routed under the handlebar tape with the 105 shifters and hang down with the Tiagra. Both are ten speed sti. Same gearing, same geometry.

I'd personally probably get the carbon one. Tyres wear out as do wheels eventually but I personally would always have the niggling thought that I had the oppertunity to ride a carbon bike.

One thing worth mentioning is considering the geomerty and how well you might fit the bikes though. Halfords dont do proper test rides. I got to ride up and down the aisles for a few minutes when I bought my Boardman mtb and that was it. These bikes both have the same geometry which is resonably racy.

***!

Sorting stuff out for the wee one birthday tomorrow, in the garage, something on my bike happened to catch my eye.

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

Most certainly not a mad rider, scared of drops for a start. Hope this is a swiftly sorted out issue for on-one. I fear the worst after the original hassle when ordering the frame. Definitely cracked so shouldn't be any problems for a replacement but all the hassle of taping new frame, building it back up, gear cables, brakes, headset etc etc etc.

NOT IMPRESSED!

***!

Sorting stuff out for the wee one birthday tomorrow, in the garage, something on my bike happened to catch my eye.

DSC00420.jpg

Most certainly not a mad rider, scared of drops for a start. Hope this is a swiftly sorted out issue for on-one. I fear the worst after the original hassle when ordering the frame. Definitely cracked so shouldn't be any problems for a replacement but all the hassle of taping new frame, building it back up, gear cables, brakes, headset etc etc etc.

NOT IMPRESSED!

Whoa! That's really a nasty crack mate. Fingers crossed they see you right. Which, given how long you've had the bike, they should do.

Ouch, not good booyaka.

What model and how old is it?

Titus FTM, bought in Janurary. Had hassle to start with as the frame had dented headcups, so was returned, new one arrived with no rear mech hanger so had to wait for that as well. Wasn't the most efficient service back then, I'm hoping that this time it's better.

Annoying part is that they will probably ask for the frame to be returned (as that's all i bought from them) - so need to strip down the whole bike (internal routed brake lines etc), it's all helitaped up etc, return frame and then if they send a new one back, I then need to spend x number of hours building it all up again, re-taping etc.

TBH - i might try and push for a full refund and go elsewhere, will see what happens.

Yeah sounds a lot of hassle, I'd probably go for the refund route if possible.

Titus FTM, bought in Janurary. Had hassle to start with as the frame had dented headcups, so was returned, new one arrived with no rear mech hanger so had to wait for that as well. Wasn't the most efficient service back then, I'm hoping that this time it's better.

Annoying part is that they will probably ask for the frame to be returned (as that's all i bought from them) - so need to strip down the whole bike (internal routed brake lines etc), it's all helitaped up etc, return frame and then if they send a new one back, I then need to spend x number of hours building it all up again, re-taping etc.

TBH - i might try and push for a full refund and go elsewhere, will see what happens.

I went to planet x last summer and know they have a pretty big workshop onsite for building up bikes and several mechanics. Might be worth throwing some weight behind your complaint and trying to see if you can send the whole bike to them for a rebuild?

I feel for you matey. I'd be gutted. Good job it didn't collapse in you in the middle of nowhere though!

I went to planet x last summer and know they have a pretty big workshop onsite for building up bikes and several mechanics. Might be worth throwing some weight behind your complaint and trying to see if you can send the whole bike to them for a rebuild?

I feel for you matey. I'd be gutted. Good job it didn't collapse in you in the middle of nowhere though!

If no refund is forthcoming (1st option) then this is certainly the option I will be pushing for.

One thing worth mentioning is considering the geomerty and how well you might fit the bikes though. Halfords dont do proper test rides. I got to ride up and down the aisles for a few minutes when I bought my Boardman mtb and that was it. These bikes both have the same geometry which is resonably racy.

Yes the lack of test rides at Halfords is a concern - I still find it quite odd that they expect people to spend £1000 or more for a bike that you haven't tried.

Going back to the two bikes, on paper they may not have the same geometry.

The Carbon is described as 'Compact'

The alloy is described as 'Semi Compact'

As you say, you don't know for certain until you have a chance to try them out - but out Halfords this is quite limited.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes the lack of test rides at Halfords is a concern - I still find it quite odd that they expect people to spend £1000 or more for a bike that you haven't tried.

Going back to the two bikes, on paper they may not have the same geometry.

The Carbon is described as 'Compact'

The alloy is described as 'Semi Compact'

As you say, you don't know for certain until you have a chance to try them out - but out Halfords this is quite limited.

Cheers,

Nigel

They should at the very least get you measured up and tried on the bikes though as they may be the same frame Size but geometry will be different it's what feels right more over a small specification difference

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom