The Cycling Thread

Spent the morning fitting the new SRAM NX Eagle DUB Groupset and servicing the bike and managed a few miles this afternoon and have to say that it is one impressive groupset.
Fitting was very easy with just a few guides to watch and then getting on with it (does not come with any guides at all) and after a few adjustments for cable and spacers it seemed fine.

Coming from old style internal BB to the external cups of DUB was easy to install as I had been using HollowTech II on my downhill bike for years and the process did seem easier to me with these from SRAM. (You will need to purchase a different fitting tool due to this system not being compatible with the HollowTech II tool) I cheated and used a chain whip due to the correct tool coming a day later and the need to build and ride.

Shifting is a breeze with only a few minor tweaks needed to pull cable through correctly, using older, but decent quality cable outer, but might have been better to order new to match.
The shifter itself will suit those that have been using the range of Shimano that allow shifting down with the same thumb that does the down shifting. Would have been a bonus if you could have used finger + thumb, but for those used to thumb and only thumb this just becomes a straight swap from Shimano to SRAM.

On the old set up (Shimano) I was forever either in a gear that was too easy or a gear that was too hard, with no sweet spot (which included changes of cassette and cranks) but with the SRAM setup I found the perfect gears almost straight away, with this including strong headwinds and a very steep and long climb, followed by hard pack shingle and sand riding along the beach.

Have a slight jump in the 10 ring and suspect an adjustment will be needed to the reach screw.

One negative is the front ring + 10 rear is no way even close to low enough for me and at the time of riding I was thinking that a 36 tooth ring would be an improvement.

It has made a 5 year old bike feel like a brand new bike for just an outlay of a few hundred £'s

9/10

20200628_162646.jpg

Last edited:
Spent the morning fitting the new SRAM NX Eagle DUB Groupset and servicing the bike and managed a few miles this afternoon and have to say that it is one impressive groupset.
Fitting was very easy with just a few guides to watch and then getting on with it (does not come with any guides at all) and after adjustments for cable and spacers it was time to try it out.

Shifting is a breeze with only a few minor tweaks needed to pull cable through correctly, using older, but decent quality cable, but might have been better to order new.

On the old set up (Shimano) I was forever either in a gear that was to easy or a gear that was to hard, with no sweet spot (which included changes of cassette and cranks) but with the SRAM setup I found the perfect gears almost straight away, with this including strong headwinds and a very steep and long climb, followed by hard pack shingle and sand riding along the beach.

Have a slight jump in the 10 ring and suspect an adjustment will be needed to the reach screw.

One negative is the front ring + 10 rear is no way even close to low enough for me and at the time of riding I was thinking that a 36 tooth ring would be an improvement.

It has made a 5 year old bike feel like a brand new bike for just an outlay of a few hundred £'s

9/10

View attachment 1325669
Did your set not come with shifter (with new cable attached )

83km ride today on the Canyon. Probably the longest I’ve ridden in 20 years and only been biking again since March. Maintained an average pace of 30.3kmph. Knees are sore!

83km ride today on the Canyon. Probably the longest I’ve ridden in 20 years and only been biking again since March. Maintained an average pace of 30.3kmph. Knees are sore!
That’s great going.

Did your set not come with shifter (with new cable attached )

Yes it came with the shifter, which I will add to the above in the moment, but it was just the inner cable and no outer.

Yes it came with the shifter, which I will add to the above in the moment, but it was just the inner cable and no outer.
Ah ok.

I just used my existing outer cable which had zero snags and works perfectly.

150K of rides on it since and it’s brilliant. Certainly high/harder gears are missing now but the style of riding I’m doing on it means they aren’t needed

Ah ok.

I just used my existing outer cable which had zero snags and works perfectly.

150K of rides on it since and it’s brilliant. Certainly high/harder gears are missing now but the style of riding I’m doing on it means they aren’t needed

Yeah same as with the bonus I could shear off the ends of the old cable and put new ends on, but would have been happier with new kit and new cable.

Did cross my mind a few times if my style of riding might change to suit the new gearing tbh and I think I will enjoy it.

Good afternoon all . hope you are all well ,
quick question ,
iv chance of a Levo turbo 2020 , only done 100 miles on the motor , been well looked after ( i go riding with the lad who owns it - all the time ) upgraded forks to (fox 36 performance - from rockshock ones ) cost would be £3700 ( my mate paid about 4250 only a few months ago - should be about a £4500 bike with the forks included )

so for £3700 could i do better for a E-bike ?

Good afternoon all . hope you are all well ,
quick question ,
iv chance of a Levo turbo 2020 , only done 100 miles on the motor , been well looked after ( i go riding with the lad who owns it - all the time ) upgraded forks to (fox 36 performance - from rockshock ones ) cost would be £3700 ( my mate paid about 4250 only a few months ago - should be about a £4500 bike with the forks included )

so for £3700 could i do better for a E-bike ?
Better is hard to judge but that’s a great bike and only you can decide if it’s good value for you.

Very true indeed , just looking for a second opinion i guess ..
would you ?
Id love an ebike but in truth where I live it’s just not needed , just too flat. So I’d probably be a no.
I’m yet to ride somewhere where I think I’d need an ebike.

I can justify the e-bike , hamsterly forest is were i ride and there is some nasty long hills , so by the time iv reach were i want to be it takes a good while to gather my breath and hit a few set of trails.

So up and down one side of a valley , then back up the other side to hit more trails im knackered !!
On a e-bike i could happy do it all a good few times .

( think, i just convinced my self i want it :D )

I can justify the e-bike , hamsterly forest is were i ride and there is some nasty long hills , so by the time iv reach were i want to be it takes a good while to gather my breath and hit a few set of trails.

So up and down one side of a valley , then back up the other side to hit more trails im knackered !!

I can’t disagree with what you’ve said there.
Do it.

Hi all, I’m a covid stat having purchased a bike during lockdown. Had been toying for a while as we live on the trans pennine trail, and have previously enjoyed exercise bike in the scarce use of any gym I’ve been in.

Anyway, I acquired a Whyte 605 (2015) and having not ridden a bike prior to this, for what, 20 years... decided to get it serviced. Which led to further expenditure on this and that.

This is the first bike ‘fully serviceable’ bike I’ve ridden/owned, so have no idea what’s what, or what a good ride should feel like. Anyway, the bike was serviced and had a new cassette and chain. Now upon riding hard in gears 15-18 I’m finding the chain is occasionally slipping when peddling ‘hard’.

Speaking to the bike mech, he’s suggested it probably wants a new set of rings, or preferably a new crank, suggesting a single ring on the basis that I said I never shift my front gears from the second set.

I actually rode the father in laws Orange P7 Pro the other day and noticed he only had a single front ring. So assume this is common with keen cyclists (of which, I am not).

Anyway.

As far as I can tell, I have the following;

New Shimano HG400 11-34T Cassette & Relevant chain.

On ageing

SHIMANO Acera FC-M391 9 speed MTB Bike Crankset 44-32-22T.

What options do I have in terms of fixing this occasional slip? And what should I look at if I was to go single ring?

Forgive my ignorance in terminology, I am 100% cycleretarded.

Hi all, I’m a covid stat having purchased a bike during lockdown. Had been toying for a while as we live on the trans pennine trail, and have previously enjoyed exercise bike in the scarce use of any gym I’ve been in.

Anyway, I acquired a Whyte 605 (2015) and having not ridden a bike prior to this, for what, 20 years... decided to get it serviced. Which led to further expenditure on this and that.

This is the first bike ‘fully serviceable’ bike I’ve ridden/owned, so have no idea what’s what, or what a good ride should feel like. Anyway, the bike was serviced and had a new cassette and chain. Now upon riding hard in gears 15-18 I’m finding the chain is occasionally slipping when peddling ‘hard’.

Speaking to the bike mech, he’s suggested it probably wants a new set of rings, or preferably a new crank, suggesting a single ring on the basis that I said I never shift my front gears from the second set.

I actually rode the father in laws Orange P7 Pro the other day and noticed he only had a single front ring. So assume this is common with keen cyclists (of which, I am not).

Anyway.

As far as I can tell, I have the following;

New Shimano HG400 11-34T Cassette & Relevant chain.

On ageing

SHIMANO Acera FC-M391 9 speed MTB Bike Crankset 44-32-22T.

What options do I have in terms of fixing this occasional slip? And what should I look at if I was to go single ring?

Forgive my ignorance in terminology, I am 100% cycleretarded.
On my bike the issue with slipping chain appeared to be a faulty rear derailleur spring. That was leading to a a lack chain which alway. Slipped under pressure/pedalling hard.

I decided at that point to go with a whole new groupset which is now awesome

switching the front chainring and it crank may not fix your slipping if the rear mech is as fault

On my bike the issue with slipping chain appeared to be a faulty rear derailleur spring. That was leading to a a lack chain which alway. Slipped under pressure/pedalling hard.

I decided at that point to go with a whole new groupset which is now awesome

switching the front chainring and it crank may not fix your slipping if the rear mech is as fault

come again 😂🙈

what’s a gear set and derailleur spring 😂

I’ve seen adjusting the ‘b-screw’ as a potential tinker point...

Very true indeed , just looking for a second opinion i guess ..
would you ?

I paid £2k for my Boardman 8.9e hyb, in reflection I probably should have just got a £1k eCarrera and used the additional £1k to spend on my road bike.

The Specliazed Creos are fantastic eBikes if you are after one, but I personally use mine just as a commuter tool rather than ride for fun, so for me spending the minimum amount would have made for sense.

Dont stop at and e-bike go straight for one of these 45 mph off road and so can get far more trails in :D

I paid £2k for my Boardman 8.9e hyb, in reflection I probably should have just got a £1k eCarrera and used the additional £1k to spend on my road bike.

The Specliazed Creos are fantastic eBikes if you are after one, but I personally use mine just as a commuter tool rather than ride for fun, so for me spending the minimum amount would have made for sense.
It's more for fun and keeping fit ( Fun 1st) , than commuting to work - and where i ride has some very good trails on and off piste and a good few downhill sections , so a full sus is needed ..

I don't live that far from there, but sadly at the moment it's just a bit too far to cycle to before doing a decent ride there..! maybe when i get fitter..!

tho, i've found some decent routes on this website.. :)

Hi guys
Anyone know what this is? Needs replacing on my bike. It attaches to the front wheel and front disk attaches to this.
When attached to wheel it does not tighten up hence I have no brakes

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 30
Hi guys
Anyone know what this is? Needs replacing on my bike. It attaches to the front wheel and front disk attaches to this.
When attached to wheel it does not tighten up hence I have no brakes

Thanks
Why doesn't it tighten? Can we have a photo of how it fits onto the wheel?
I'm tempted to say it's a Centerlock to 6-bolt disc adapter, but I can't see any splines or anything else for the Centerlock part.

edit: just to clarify... there are two main ways of fitting brake discs to a wheel: 6-bolt (older and probably most popular) which is literally 6 bolts into the hub body and it looks like what you have but that part should be attached to the hub; and Centerlock which slips onto a splined part of the hub and is secured with a special lockring (of which again there are two types - with internal or external "teeth", each one needs a different tool).

Last edited:
I don't live that far from there, but sadly at the moment it's just a bit too far to cycle to before doing a decent ride there..! maybe when i get fitter..!

tho, i've found some decent routes on this website.. :)

I don't ride there , i chuck my bike on the car roof and drive there ( 20 min drive ) ,
there's no way i could ride there and then ride back ( way to old for that lol )

When i was kid my mates and i would do just that , and spend the day up there .. wasn't as good as it is now , but still had some fun tho ...

you been to hamsterly much ? or something you have just gotten into ?

I don't ride there , i chuck my bike on the car roof and drive there ( 20 min drive ) ,
there's no way i could ride there and then ride back ( way to old for that lol )

When i was kid my mates and i would do just that , and spend the day up there .. wasn't as good as it is now , but still had some fun tho ...

you been to hamsterly much ? or something you have just gotten into ?

I've been there loads in the past but not cycling tho... just got a MTB last month after not having one for about 8 years.. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom