The Cycling Thread

single track heaven.. :)

1590415625701.png

1590415648868.png

1590415659413.png

Is that at the Folkestone foot ferry?
Felixstowe.

sorry meant that...doh...

I've ridden round there a few times as a friend lives in Great Waldringfield...out of lockdown its also really nice to ride over to Orford and have a sandwich mid-ride at in a little cafe on the waterside

here's my route the last time I rode it...a great ride and saw very few cars for all of it - was around 55 miles round trip

1590436349363.png

Anyone with spare bikes in the shed they don't use, now seems a great time to shift them.

I cleaned up my old hybrid commuter bike yesterday, put it on GumTree and have already got 3 asking price offers, one chap wanted to come and get it at midnight!!

Make me wonder if I under priced it, but hey ho, better it goes to someon who will use it again than keep on sitting in the shed.

49935220032_7c9395774f_c_d.jpg

Bike demand is nuts at the moment . I searched for ages for the last week and half for a bike on dozens of stores - none in stock. Went to an Evans queues for hours and very little in stock (no medium sized hybrids) used bikes on eBay are going for almost the same as new .
Finally I got lucky and happened to press refresh on a site and a bike (a model lower than then one I wanted ) was in stock so I ordered it - was sold out hours later .

Now is the time to sell if youre sitting on an old one .

yeah, I bought mine last week, and was after a decent second hand one...looked on ebay, gumtree, and facebook market place (all within 50 miles of where I live) and the decent bikes were gone within less than a day...

some tho were woefully overpriced like more than rrp...and even 5-10 year old mountain bikes were going for stupid money..!

I even looked at online shops and they all seemed to be out of stock on new bikes costing arounf 500-600 quid..

There is a real shortage of bikes. Some bikes shops are buying up anything they can to sell on. One bike shop local me to is selling the normal amount he would sell per week, every single day!

I really should put my old Specialized on Gumtree and similar as I’ve only used it for the last few years to ride with the twins in their kids seats.

Will give it a clean and put it up soon.

First main parts of bike build have arrived....exciting

7CBED1F3-3A16-43CF-BCA2-E3FC9BEB852E.jpeg
A1128311-B7BD-408D-AA49-DCA6D10F1683.jpeg

Rear cassette is huge (glass for scale)

62615D44-6FD2-4E3B-93E8-5D72B8067F25.jpeg

I'm liking this group-set, it looks the DB's :smashin:
It really does. I’ve got 105 on my road bike but that’s 7 years old now so not exactly a recent groupset. Coming from SRAM X9 this should be a totally new ride experience

What have you gone for, is that 1x11?

What have you gone for, is that 1x11?
Yes indeed.

Coming from 3x9 it was nice to rip out for the front derailleur and shifter

New groupset isn’t light weight by any means but I’m guessing it’s still lighter than the 3x9 groupset.

Might try an weight it all together to find out

Nice. I don't know much about that particular setup, but I've heard it's good. Have fun with it.

Nice. I don't know much about that particular setup, but I've heard it's good. Have fun with it.
Sorry. My mistake. Replied too fast. It’s actually 1x12

So in the end I had 5 offers lined up to buy my old commuter hybrid in less than 12hrs!!

Went to the first chap who came to see it, I took £10 off because the rear wheel free hub was wobbling a bit, he clearly was going to tidy it up a bit more and flog it on for a profit.

Out of curiosity checked what I paid for it, quite amazed to see it's essentially cost me £10 in deprecation over 8 years of use. Did fit new cheap tyres and inner-tubes in my ownership, still thats some cheap transportation!!!

49937192128_3560fe5e6e_z.jpg
[

More parts have now arrived.

Just waiting for grease and lube before I start bolting together.

And yes, the 12 speed cassette looks huge on a 26 inch wheel

Attachments

• 3D3213F4-8382-4D9A-ADD9-942597A20330.jpeg
    3D3213F4-8382-4D9A-ADD9-942597A20330.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 24
Cannot believe how cheap that stand is.
I might buy one as a spare.
im planning to grab one when grabbing some shopping later on as well as i cant imagine working on a bike (in certain situations) without a stand now so Id be lost if my original one (with blue accents) died for any reason

The stand has certainly been invaluable so far in my rebuild

I'd be interested to know how you get on with 1x12 as i have two MTBs, one full sus and one hardtail.
I run 1x on my full sus but my hardtail came with 2x10 and was going to go 1x for this also but whilst trying to justify the cost i just stuck with the 2x and in all honesty I like the larger range of gears on the 2x. Maybe it is because i do a lot of road so used to 2x.

On the 1x i found that on long days with long climbs i was missing a spinning gear, although that is probably remedied now with the dinner plate looking cog on that cassette, and likewise when on tarmac i would be hitting like 150 cadence to get any half decent speed.

What size crankset are you going to be using on the front, my 1x was 32 or 30 for long hilly days but with that large cassette i suppose you could go 36 or 38 up front to get the benefit of speed on the flats/downhills?

Cannot believe how cheap that stand is.
I might buy one as a spare.
I bought the Aldi bike stand a few years ago - its well made and very sturdy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom