The Cycling Thread

Man, all this talk of changing groupsets is making me think about buying another bike :D
that's exactly why I bought a new groupset...so I didn't have to buy a new bike... the best thing I could have done and saved me LOADS of money...that said I will probably get a Gravel bike towards Black Friday when the world seems slightly back to normal and the whole world doesn't want to buy a bike at once

that's exactly why I bought a new groupset...so I didn't have to buy a new bike... the best thing I could have done and saved me LOADS of money...that said I will probably get a Gravel bike

Read that back slowly...... :rotfl:

Read that back slowly...... :rotfl:
yes yes but I meant a new mountain bike.....a gravel bike would be for something different and far cheaper than what id have really wanted to buy as a replacement (Santa Cruz Bronson Reserve CC)

When i changed my road wheels on my summer road bike a couple of years ago from Fulcrum to Easton EC90 Aero55s the difference was unbelievable- best upgrade imo. On various runs i'd done pre Easton's v post Easton's i was consistently hitting Strava PBs. Once they get up to speed it is amazing how well they also hold the speed. The only issue is strong cross winds when you get the sudden gust and the front can then get a mind of its own!!!

I’ve had 52mm wheels before (Planet X) and they were shocking in the wind! These modern shaped ones are much much better though, you can feel it but it’s just a steady push rather than a sudden ‘grab’. At 68kg it doesn’t take much to push me around on the bike, but I’ve had no issues with these so far.

I’ve had 52mm wheels before (Planet X) and they were shocking in the wind! These modern shaped ones are much much better though, you can feel it but it’s just a steady push rather than a sudden ‘grab’. At 68kg it doesn’t take much to push me around on the bike, but I’ve had no issues with these so far.
I went from 30mm to 55mm which is why it probably takes me by surprise now and again, I too am a light rider (70kg) but also when on the flats I tend to rest my arms/hands on the tops as opposed to grabbing the bars which probably does not help. These are the first deep dish carebon rims i have owned and i have been cycling for many years now.
I havent actually been out on the road this year mainly sticking to Zwift (due to COVID and damaged knee) but once i get back in the groove i'll get out on the road as i miss it in all honesty.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I’ve used the cateye strada for years and it’s been faultless. Only took it off the bike yesterday as I use my watch instead now with GPS.

yes, i saw that one and wondered what the difference was between the velo and strada, especially as it's at halfords for not much extra (amazon have it for 45 quid)

tho, not sure it's the slim version, and not much details on the halfords page..could be an older version?

slim -

normal -

When in doubt I generally google <product 1> vs <product 2> reviews.

If you're looking at only spending around £25-£30, and you'll likely be carrying your phone with you when you ride, maybe consider spending the cash on getting a bar mount for your phone instead, then use strava or similar when riding to display the data.

yes, i saw that one and wondered what the difference was between the velo and strada, especially as it's at halfords for not much extra (amazon have it for 45 quid)

tho, not sure it's the slim version, and not much details on the halfords page..could be an older version?

slim -

normal -

I was thinking about selling on my Garmin Edge 200 with handlebar mount and in reasonable condition for £28 posted in you are interested.
Can dig out and make a thread to follow the forums rules if so.
Only selling as I have upgraded.

yeah, seems the halfords one is an older, slighter bigger model... think I'll buy the velo.. :)

If you're looking at only spending around £25-£30, and you'll likely be carrying your phone with you when you ride, maybe consider spending the cash on getting a bar mount for your phone instead, then use strava or similar when riding to display the data.

I don't have a smart phone.. :)

I was thinking about selling on my Garmin Edge 200 with handlebar mount and in reasonable condition for £28 posted in you are interested.
Can dig out and make a thread to follow the forums rules if so.
Only selling as I have upgraded.

sounds good... I'll have a quick check online and get back to you soon one way or another :)

sounds good... I'll have a quick check online and get back to you soon one way or another :)

No worries.

It was for me a good little computer with more features than you will get with the cheaper models.

I went from 30mm to 55mm which is why it probably takes me by surprise now and again, I too am a light rider (70kg) but also when on the flats I tend to rest my arms/hands on the tops as opposed to grabbing the bars which probably does not help. These are the first deep dish carebon rims i have owned and i have been cycling for many years now.
I havent actually been out on the road this year mainly sticking to Zwift (due to COVID and damaged knee) but once i get back in the groove i'll get out on the road as i miss it in all honesty.

The first 6 weeks or so of Covid was amazing out on the roads, basically no traffic at all and so nice to go out. Then I went out a few weeks ago at 8am on a Saturday morning and it was the busiest I’ve ever seen the roads at that time! This was when we had only just been allowed to travel to exercise, so it seemed everyone had the same idea and buggered off somewhere in the car for a walk/BBQ/beach party :facepalm:

Weekdays too now are far busier than usual due to the amount of people still off work and the great weather we’ve been having.

are you able to post a photo, how long is the battery life, and does your mount fit on a stem too - mines 35mm.. :)

I had a 200 for several years, they are excellent units and even have navigation via breadcrumb trails. I did several 100+ mile rides with mine on roads I’d never seen before and it was really easy to follow. 👍🏻

Today’s equivalent is the 130, I’ve got one for my son but they’re about £90 so it’s a big jump from £28. I’d get the 200.

For a mount don’t get a stem one, get an out front which are far better.

are you able to post a photo, how long is the battery life, and does your mount fit on a stem too - mines 35mm.. :)

No box anymore, but will be well boxed and battery is really good.
I did a 50+mile ride last year and still had plenty battery left.
The mount will fit them bars with ease.
Can open it up on Garmin Express and see route, weather, average speed, goals, distance etc etc etc and can link account to Strava.

Please excuse dust

20200603_114931 - Copy.jpg

I'll take it, create an advert and we can sort from there :)

Thank you :)

thanks, give me 2 minutes as I've anabled ad-block and have to do a few page loads for me to respond to the advert :D

thanks, give me 2 minutes as I've anabled ad-block and have to do a few page loads for me to respond to the advert :D

I've found the original bag + instructions and stem mounts + rubber bands. I'll throw another USB cable in so it will reach a PC/Laptop better, but cannot find the small rubber band that fits around the handlebar mount.
An old bit of cut down inner tube will work just as well.

20200603_121008 - Copy.jpg

I've found the original bag + instructions and stem mounts + rubber bands. I'll throw another USB cable in so it will reach a PC/Laptop better, but cannot find the small rubber band that fits around the handlebar mount.
An old bit of cut down inner tube will work just as well.

View attachment 1311240
General large O rings are also good as the thats what they originally came with

Changing punctures ...Is it easy ? I dread getting punctures on long bike rides so started taking my spare inner tubes and levers and pump so I can replace them if I need to

ive watched some YouTube totorials and would just about manage to take the back wheel on and off ( front one is easy )

however it looks really tricky replacing the inner tube at the side of the road ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom