The Cycling Thread

I’ve never repaired a tyre on a ride...time wise it’s just not worth it when you can carry a spare tube (I always carry two) and be on your way in 5 or 6 minutes again

I’ve never repaired a tyre on a ride...time wise it’s just not worth it when you can carry a spare tube (I always carry two) and be on your way in 5 or 6 minutes again
That said I know there are different patches like some someone posted, Park stools ones I think. I have the scabs versions I think they’re called. They are sticky pads that do work but carrying a tube makes a lot of sense as sometimes repairs don’t work. I then repair small punctures in bulk sometime down the line in the comfort of my own home

thats what I meant mate. If I was to get a flatty I would change the inner tube but I’ve never done it outside of my home before on my new bike . However I’ve done lots of YouTube tutorials and it seems fairly straight forward.

I have two inner tubes, hand pump, levers and some pliers ( for removing glass or Thorns ) anything else ?

thats what I meant mate. If I was to get a flatty I would change the inner tube but I’ve never done it outside of my home before on my new bike . However I’ve done lots of YouTube tutorials and it seems fairly straight forward.

I have two inner tubes, hand pump, levers and some pliers ( for removing glass or Thorns ) anything else ?
I’ve never needed pliers. Thorns normally can be pulled out of tyres with fingers. Think I might once have chewed one out. Hahaha.

whatbid suggest is try to remove every TV info and reseat it again at home a couple of times. It’s not really any different to advising people learning how to change a car tyre before they have to do it for real.

The other tip is when removing and putting a tyre back on the wheel, make sure the tyre is pushed off of its bead the whole way around. This makes it far easier to get it off. Likewise tyres will go on easier if you at least try to squeeze them round to one point. Hard to explain in words but googling it should show a few videos to explain what I’m trying to say.

Ok thanks
I need some more inner tubes and need ones like this

I have “28-622 700x28c”

cant find them anywhere ?

Does it matter what length the valve is ?

Slightly inflate the tube once on so you don't pinch it when putting the tyre on. I don't use levers to put the tyres back on, manage with my hands even on the 50 carbon wheels

I don't bother with a pump, just have 2 CO2 canisters and inflator

Changing punctures ...Is it easy ? I dread getting punctures on long bike rides so started taking my spare inner tubes and levers and pump so I can replace them if I need to

ive watched some YouTube totorials and would just about manage to take the back wheel on and off ( front one is easy )

however it looks really tricky replacing the inner tube at the side of the road ?
If you can run tubeless then i would go that route. Out of all my bikes there is only one that is not tubeless (and the one i would ideally like to be tubeless my winter trainer!!) as it adds serious piece of mind. Also in the past i have cleaned my mountain bikes and found thorns etc in the tyre that have sealed but normally would have resulted in a puncture.

Changing a tube at the side of the road is not too bad assuming the tyre comes off easy, it is changing a tube on a dark muddy trail that is painful!!!!

I also damaged my shifter window on my old road bike by turning it upside down while working on the puncture.

Changing punctures ...Is it easy ? I dread getting punctures on long bike rides so started taking my spare inner tubes and levers and pump so I can replace them if I need to

ive watched some YouTube totorials and would just about manage to take the back wheel on and off ( front one is easy )

however it looks really tricky replacing the inner tube at the side of the road ?
It isn't tricky. Practice taking the tubes out and putting them back in at home. Then if you do get a puncture on a ride you know what to do. Don't rush yourself.

low and behold I get a thorn in my front tyre half way home !!
Tried at the side of the path and got the wheel off the frame but couldn’t get the tyre part off the rim with my levers. So had the wheel it home.. Any help ?

Attachments

• 4F7899FB-5D8E-4B24-9A3B-253DFE0765B5.jpeg
    4F7899FB-5D8E-4B24-9A3B-253DFE0765B5.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 43
should always do a dry run at home first, i made a similar mistake when i got my first proper mountain bike... i had a puncture repair kit and some old teaspoons that worked on my previous bike, i also got a flat tyre but the spoons weren't going to remove the tyre anytime soon... took about an hourto walk home...

where did you get those levers from...? maybe they don;t fit, unless you're not sure what to do?

check this video...

new tyres will always be a bit tighter....and as stated yesterday, it's really important to get beads off of the rims of the tyres and all of the tyre pushed to the centre of the wheel so it's at its slackest..ceratonyl worth doing so at home a few times to be completely happy doing so

should always do a dry run at home first, i made a similar mistake when i got my first proper mountain bike... i had a puncture repair kit and some old teaspoons that worked on my previous bike, i also got a flat tyre but the spoons weren't going to remove the tyre anytime soon... took about an hourto walk home...

where did you get those levers from...? maybe they don;t fit, unless you're not sure what to do?

check this video...

yellow ones were from decathlon where I bought the bike and the black ones from a repair kit
see this photo and you’ll see how tight the tyre is

Attachments

• 2D6654C8-1561-40A3-9BEC-A4C6FEDC651A.jpeg
    2D6654C8-1561-40A3-9BEC-A4C6FEDC651A.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 52
It is possible with some tyres to remove them from the rim without using any tools, other than hands and a pulling motion from 6 on the clock to 12 on the clock.
This will bunch the tyre up and should pop it off the bead.

Works well on MTB tyres.

MTB tyres are much easier to remove than road tyres. I did MTB by hand the other day but needed a lot of force with levers for the roadies.

The black levers you have look fine. Maybe just need a bit more practice.

Been at this for 5 hours now and can’t get any further than this...
I managed to do it but put the wheel the wrong bloody Way
Snapped both my black levers in the process

how do I get past this bit as it won’t go on the rim

Attachments

• 597D12FF-E25C-4794-B45E-04C57E14433D.jpeg
    597D12FF-E25C-4794-B45E-04C57E14433D.jpeg
    654.9 KB · Views: 41
get @HaRd2BeAr as he's got plenty of experience with rimming..

Been at this for 5 hours now and can’t get any further than this...
I managed to do it but put the wheel the wrong bloody Way
Snapped both my black levers in the process

how do I get past this bit as it won’t go on the rim
Well you did it once. :)
You’ll need some new levers.

Ok managed to do it after 7.5 hours of trying Had to do the valve part last, then applied pressure all the way around to give me some Lee way

now I just have to ride it and make sure it’s ok

Ok managed to do it after 7.5 hours of trying Had to do the valve part last, then applied pressure all the way around to give me some Lee way

now I just have to ride it and make sure it’s ok

You need to push the tyre beads into the centre of the rim (the well), start at the bottom then work your way around with both hands, pushing the rest of the bead into the rim. This is the deepest part of the wheel and creates a bit of slack at the top as you work your way up. It may take 2-3 times working your way around, but you won’t ever need anything but your hands to get a tyre on.

Brute force isn’t the answer. Have a look on YouTube and you'll get the technique easily enough. :smashin:

Is there any Orange MTB fans in here?

I'm looking into changing my hardtail to a full suspension, ready to get the Orange five pro, but its a really marmite bike. I'm struggling to find any forums online discussing them?

I'm open to suggestions, budget around 3k

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom