The Deep Dive Project: Creating the Ultimate Album Resource - article discussion

This is a great idea Ed, I do think it is sometimes hard to define some albums by genre as often they sit somewhere in between so hopefully you can correlate it into something that is organised and not too fragmented.

Quick question, it's one post per album? and directly in this thread?

This is a great idea Ed, I do think it is sometimes hard to define some albums by genre as often they sit somewhere in between so hopefully you can correlate it into something that is organised and not too fragmented.

Quick question, it's one post per album? and directly in this thread?

It will be yes. This thread is to identify issues- like you just have. Can an album appear in more than one list? (I'm inclined to say 'yes.') Once we're ironed the bugs out, we select a genre and get recommending.

All sounds good to me. The pigeon-holing exercise is inevitably going to be thwart and you have a decent starting point there keeping things high level.

The one in my mind that's clearly missing is a funk/soul category though. Based on the current genres, there isn't an obvious place for the likes of Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, James Brown etc etc.

A Funk/Soul category easily passes the 50 albums test I would say?

The only other obvious missing genre that springs to mind would be classical, but perhaps can be avoided if the plan is to compile a list of albums, rather than 'pieces'.

Looking forward to the final list anyway...

Last edited:
I was thinking of classical also, as it represents a third of my collection. However, with multiple recordings of the same music, all with their own aficionados, it would turn into a right old 'mare.

this is a great idea and could be a really useful resource. I do have doubts though about classification into genres: we already have quite justified calls for reggae, country and I'd add "blues". And then what about soul? Could we not use meta tags rather than single classifications? For example an album might be classified as "Indie" and "Dance" (for example Screamadelica by Primal Scream?)

Gregory Porters new album is stunning! Thank you for the recommendation.Ive got it via tidal sounds amazing via master audio.😊👌

I think that it is a brilliant idea in theory and would be a fantastic avenue to some interesting new music for many but it does run the risk of just getting bogged down with endless but obvious suggestions of folks favourite albums by household artists which misses the point for me, and presumably the author too - It deliberately ignores the headline acts of various periods; I don’t have it in for them, I simply figured you’d already probably have heard of the Beatles or Peter Gabriel by now. Already in the first 10 posts we have had mention of "the likes of Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, James Brown etc" and " for example Screamadelica by Primal Scream" none of which are particularly original or obscure (nothing against any of the artists mentioned by the way). I'd want to learn about the overlooked and underappreciated myself, it wouldn't be much use to me if it only produced the likes of Oasis, David Bowie, NWA, U2 etc even if they have produced some outstanding contributions which deserve to be promoted.

Hi Ed,

All makes sense to me. Whilst others may have reasoning to split genres, I don't based on your list, and the criteria of 50 albums per category.

The pitch seems sensible too.

I suppose the only thing I could offer as a suggestion, should we all refer to the top 200 albums in the Rolling Stone list, as albums we shouldn't pitch, simply because that list is used by many as a reference point. That way more albums that people "haven't come across" is likely and helps keep the lists more "deep dive".

I would like to think of this project as a way of getting to find out about artists or albums I will not of heard of, or heard. The big albums and artists already have plenty of list appearances and many a forum word put down about them and this bunch of lists is as you said, more for albums not covered so widely but well worth the listen.

Interesting idea. Problem is for me - I have albums that maybe have just one or two classic tracks. It's difficult to just ignore that fact, so I would suggest a separate list of these one-off absolute classic tracks that are a "must listen", but maybe not so well known. An example for me would be: "Somewhere down the crazy river", Robbie Robertson, "Vaseline machine gun" Leo Kottke, "These days/Words" Ane Brun, " I walk on gilded splinters" Dr. John, "Rio Ancho" Rosenberg trio, "Buleria" Moraito Chico, etc, etc. One album that was largely ignored, and which is his finest work by far, imo is the double CD "Secret life of plants" Stevie Wonder. I would definitely add that to any list, along with the original double CD of "Chess". Both these discs have not one bad track on them. I could go on.. ! Looking forward to how this evolves. All the best.

Don't know if this will work as I've never tried it before, but here are tracks that I listen to a lot, especially when demoing equipment. Not for everyone I'm sure, but hope it contributes.

Listen to Demo Tracks by Steve with Qobuz in high quality: Open Qobuz

It probably comes across as if we are trying to find anything and everything wrong with it at the moment but I’d like to reaffirm the notion that I think this is an excellent idea and I can’t wait to have a browse at the lists if/when they are completed. I just don’t have any real time as it stands to search out new and interesting artists/albums, I tend to inadvertently stumble across stuff if anything, so it would be beneficial for me personally to have a go-to reference point where I can read other people’s opinions, descriptions and comparisons of specific albums that I am currently unaware of and be able to head straight to anything that sounds appealing.

Last edited:
I wonder if World could be broken down into continents by having Africa, America (Latin), Asia and possibly Europe. I'd have to give it some real consideration to come up with 50 albums from each but it might be doable?

Not sure if this would be the correct category...(David Byrne really needs his own category)

Indie/Alternative (Pop perhaps Jazz)- David Byrne & St Vincent- Love This Giant.

I just feel so uplifted listening to this album, it's quite jarring at times but ultimately great fun.

And whilst I'm on about David Bryne, no list of genius albums should be complete without his collaboration with Brian Eno that's now THIRTY NINE freaking years old !!! It was so totally ahead of its time, is timeless and still as brilliant as the first time I heard it...

Alternative POP Rock Trance (whatever)- Brian Eno/David Byrne- My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts.

I wonder if World could be broken down into continents by having Africa, America (Latin), Asia and possibly Europe. I'd have to give it some real consideration to come up with 50 albums from each but it might be doable?
Check "Putumayo" !
You will certainly be (over)pleased...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom