The Devil All the Time (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Right, @Greg Hook that's two for two in the hidden gems department and, as Tom himself said on the podcast, two of the best films he's seen for year (I only had to bribe him a modest sum to say that).

Can I put him back on Netflix duty now? Hang on, wait, this wasn't on Netflix was it. Damn. It's bloody Extraction all over again.

In fairness, I am due some vaguely actiony BS.
My last 4 reviews have been 8,9,8,9 which, for Grouchy Tommy Tidepool, is unheard of.

Loved it from the great performances of the casting choices one may feel would not work on paper. How the story unfoldes itself around these characters in a not so wholesome 50s America . Whilst the ending was somewhat telegraphed it did not take away from a film and cast I could not take my eyes off and be fully engaged with.

Well done as one of the best this year for myself .

Last edited:
Best film Ive seen in a while,great cast superb acting.Grabbed my attention and kept it until the end something of a rarity these days ,most of the dross I watch either stop watching half way through or fall asleep:(
Big 👍 from me.

In fairness, I am due some vaguely actiony BS.
My last 4 reviews have been 8,9,8,9 which, for Grouchy Tommy Tidepool, is unheard of.

Damn, those are good scores! Maybe you should reconsider taking on a certain epic sci-fi series in its third year of boundless galaxy-spanning adventure in exploration of increasingly brain-numbing story plots?

After a 6 and a 5 for my last two movies, I think I might bite the bullet and watch Devil just to see something good.

Cheers Tom, looking forward to this one now.

I suppose all the fluff that Netflix churn out is worth it for when we get the odd gem like this one.

If they could just streamline their content a bit they might well have a few good contenders come awards season.

Right, @Greg Hook that's two for two in the hidden gems department and, as Tom himself said on the podcast, two of the best films he's seen for year (I only had to bribe him a modest sum to say that).

Can I put him back on Netflix duty now? Hang on, wait, this wasn't on Netflix was it. Damn. It's bloody Extraction all over again.

The tables, how they have turned.

Yep agree with others. Thought it was very good.

It actually couldve been longer like an epic and each situation a bit more fleshed out.

If anyone remembers an old underrated TV show called Chiefs that went through the years with different police chiefs in a town with stories running through the years. it reminded me of that.

Managed to make it through half of first episode and we gave up. Slow would be an acurate description of it

Thanks Tom. What I missed in the Trailer was when Spiderman appears & saves everyone from realising that 50's & 60's America is a TV myth, & carries on wondering why "Everything suddenly got so bad"

I would actually give this one a nine. Up there with Uncut Gems as one of Netflix’s very best. Extremely compelling and hard to find fault.

I would actually give this one a nine. Up there with Uncut Gems as one of Netflix’s very best. Extremely compelling and hard to find fault.
I was so close to a nine and I read back what I'd written and there were just too many minor things that stacked up so I stepped it back. The number's just the number though really. It's an excellent film.

Managed to make it through half of first episode and we gave up. Slow would be an acurate description of it
agree-first part is slow moving and was close to the off button also, however stick with it and things do get 'interesting' to put it mildly! agree 8/10, good movie

At last a decent Netflix original. A great cast who were well directed in a film with a solid engrossing story arc.It feels good to write positive comments on a movie from Netflix, maybe just maybe they can produce a few more as good as this in the years to come.

A truly engrossing, dark story with some great performances it’s bleak AF but it’s beautifully made & shows a slice of life not often depicted.
9/10

Watched this earlier after reading the review, very bleak but well acted and deserved the 8/10 score I think 👍🏻

Given its modern day cast of stars it still was a Dreadful depressing film switched off after half an hour TRIPE

I love it when people switch off a film because it's depressing. Not everything can be a joyous affair. Doesn't make it terrible either.

But more sunshine and lollipops next time please Tom!

I love it when people switch off a film because it's depressing. Not everything can be a joyous affair. Doesn't make it terrible either.

But more sunshine and lollipops next time please Tom!
You have to read my good lady-wife's reviews for that.
She did cover this a while ago:

true.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom