The Ehhh Feeling When Buying a New TV

my335is

Novice Member
Reaction score
Well I think I just got it haha, my first decent TV was a XBR75X900E and after a year and a half to which is now I decided to upgrade a bit. I can get most anything at my work for cost plus 10-25% so I went for a XBR75X900F (kept me below $1500 after taxes an shipping) and its been 5 days now and I am just not that happy or having a good feeling about it. You guys ever get that? Not sure what I need to upgrade to, to where I can actually see an feel an upgrade or its worth the cost. Main use is for Netflix, PC gaming, and 4k movies.

You guys thinking I could find anything at or below $2k?

Old Setup
IMG-0310.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm difficult one.
First thing is to answer why you not happy? Did you expect a big step change?
You could have tried oled but doubt it at the budget and size you mention.
All I can think of which can give you a step change is Samsung Q90r especially for hdr, blacks and gaming...
No idea how much it is your side but you seem to be having pretty good discounts via work...

Looks like there’s some sort of light behind the tv which is killing the contrast. You’ll get a large increase in image quality if you can get rid of that. If you can paint the wall behind it grey that would help even more.

Looks like there’s some sort of light behind the tv which is killing the contrast. You’ll get a large increase in image quality if you can get rid of that.

It's called bias lighting and it improves contrast or rather - your eye's perception of it !

Hmmmm difficult one.
First thing is to answer why you not happy? Did you expect a big step change?
You could have tried oled but doubt it at the budget and size you mention.
All I can think of which can give you a step change is Samsung Q90r especially for hdr, blacks and gaming...
No idea how much it is your side but you seem to be having pretty good discounts via work...

That is a good question, I guess I was thinking a bit sharper/crisper image moving up. Netflix 4k is really looking the same, my pc is looking the same, and gaming is looking the same haha I tried all my sources and Im just not seeing it. I feel pretty stuck too cause I cant downsize to a 65 inch coming from 75 so that really limits my budget. We partner with most all electronics companies so our discounts are pretty awesome but they will vary on manufacture. I guess if theres a big bump I could go up another $500.

Looks like there’s some sort of light behind the tv which is killing the contrast. You’ll get a large increase in image quality if you can get rid of that. If you can paint the wall behind it grey that would help even more.

Yeah that was my old setup, just a smart led strip around the TV its off most the time but it doesnt bug me. I have nothing on my new setup right now. The wall is painted anew grey right now.

Would the 950G be a better bump? That would be below 2K as well but comparing the 900f an 950G on rtings definitely doesn't look too impressing AT ALL haha

Another price I got on a Samsung was for an 82 inch, dont know much about this brand as I stuck with Sony for a while QN82Q60RAFXZA - below 1900 as well. Edit: Nevermind about this TV, from specs an comparing it looks terrible for the price haha

Last edited:
Check the samsung Q90R...with your discount...

Check the samsung Q90R...with your discount...

wow that is pricey haha not sure that will be in my budget but I will check if its worth it.

Im really not seeing much else, I'll check on Sonys XBR75Z9F.

I have a feeling I'm going to be stuck with this TV

Well I might be able to pull off the XBR75Z9F but sure if its worth it through discount is ok, it would be below $2100
Q90 is somewhere below $2500

No idea what to do

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom