The Fifth Element 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I don't care about the 'extras'. This is an unmissable for me. I'm in.

That's fair enough, but some of us do value the extra features. If the Flash Gordon set justifies it's 50-quid price tag by the inclusion of a huge number of extra features, including newly produced material (I disregard any paper tat like postcards etc as the material cost is negligible for those), then clearly the features have a value. Therefore not including any features, even those already produced, reduces the value, and I think that should be reflected in the price, but this a is a full-price 4K release. They even want 15 quid for the standard bare-bones Blu-ray, which I can only assume is priced to make the 4K version look better value. In this case their tactic worked, as I have already bought it (twice actually, by mistake), but it's a worrying trend for me.

A review by Cas "Sticky Fingers" Harlow.
Good read.
I've seen this a few times and each on each one wondered why but realised I'd put my brain on the floor, stepped back and let the madness flow.

Out of interest, @Casimir Harlow what sound set up do you use for reviews?

I quite like the cover! Anyway, I love this film and it was sad that Brion James died not long afterwards, he's great in this.

A review by Cas "Sticky Fingers" Harlow.
Good read.
I've seen this a few times and each on each one wondered why but realised I'd put my brain on the floor, stepped back and let the madness flow.

Out of interest, @Casimir Harlow what sound set up do you use for reviews?

HK-N950 methinks. Yes, I know I'm a soundbar traitor but, hey, it was that or a divorce.

That's fair enough, but some of us do value the extra features. If the Flash Gordon set justifies it's 50-quid price tag by the inclusion of a huge number of extra features, including newly produced material (I disregard any paper tat like postcards etc as the material cost is negligible for those), then clearly the features have a value. Therefore not including any features, even those already produced, reduces the value, and I think that should be reflected in the price, but this a is a full-price 4K release. They even want 15 quid for the standard bare-bones Blu-ray, which I can only assume is priced to make the 4K version look better value. In this case their tactic worked, as I have already bought it (twice actually, by mistake), but it's a worrying trend for me.

Meh, it's pretty standard form, and I'm not sure your example of Flash suggests a logical price point.

£19.99 standard TFE release, potentially not much new, but you get the new 4K DV restoration (and normally Atmos) so, hey, that's what you're really here for.

£49.99 Flash box set that doesn't fit on any shelf, has loads of crap you don't need and had the soundtrack included.

In this case are you suggesting you would have paid £50 (£30 extra) if they'd have put it in a box with a disc of extras, when you could pick up the old Blu-ray for a fiver if you really need them?

I guess there's a chance we'd get better artwork, which might sway people with eyes.

Nice review Cas. Holding on to my Sony release for now. I might pick them up if or when it goes cheap and hide it in the Sony case because the 'artwork' for this is probably the worst I have ever seen for this film. I used to love the yellow and black DVD SE slipcase - anyone else remember that?!

Nice review Cas. Holding on to my Sony release for now. I might pick them up if or when it goes cheap and hide it in the Sony case because the 'artwork' for this is probably the worst I have ever seen for this film. I used to love the yellow and black DVD SE slipcase - anyone else remember that?!

The taxi one? Yes that was nice and simple.

But if they were going to go cartoon, why not stick with the already decent (as posted further above) US steelbook artwork?

I just don't get why we needed someone to do a creepy take on TFE?

I really never thought anybody would be able to make Leeloo look bad. Clearly I was very very mistaken.

This one? Really like this packaging. Looks like I will be keeping it for the extras, so will probably use it for the 4K disc, and bury the new sleeve deep in the back of the cupboard.

image.jpg

£49.99 Flash box set that doesn't fit on any shelf, has loads of crap you don't need and had the soundtrack included.

In this case are you suggesting you would have paid £50 (£30 extra) if they'd have put it in a box with a disc of extras, when you could pick up the old Blu-ray for a fiver if you really need them?

Was only an example as it came from the same distributor. I didn’t buy the Flash set because, while I like the movie, I don’t like it enough to drop 50 quid. I thought that set was also over priced. I did pick up the John Carpenter boxes they released at a more reasonable 30 quid (or that’s what I paid anyway), and they do fit on the shelf.

Was only an example as it came from the same distributor. I didn’t buy the Flash set because, while I like the movie, I don’t like it enough to drop 50 quid. I thought that set was also over priced. I did pick up the John Carpenter boxes they released at a more reasonable 30 quid (or that’s what I paid anyway), and they do fit on the shelf.

On the whole I never understand why we can't simply have each successive release improve, in all areas, upon the last. So don't do a bloody limited edition 3-disc DVD on the eve of a bare-bones Blu-ray, and then wait a few years to do a 3-disc Blu-ray on the eve of a bare bones 4K (Waterworld, grr).

But since it's pretty standard practice (we're well into quadruple dipping territory with this one) and the price isn't extortionate for a new release, and there aren't really (m)any new extras available anywhere, and you'll probably be able to get it in a TWOFOR soon enough, and yummy Dolby Vision, it's not so bad.

I absolutely love this film. Don't know why actually but it all just clicks and is so rewatchable. I bought the US version last year and was excellent.

One thing I noted on the release was the amount of film grain that I couldn't remember being so prevalent on previous viewings. Anyone else notice that of am I alone on this one?

thanks Cas

i love this film and i imported the sony 4k disk from the USA on its release - that disk looks and so good i dont think i need to buy the new copy as well but it is good that it is finally on sale here

but if you have the set up to enjoy this disk it really is one you should add to your collection

I'm really pleased that Cas finally got a really good Movie Disk to Review, & am really enjoying the thread, but I will be happy when some more reviews drops the item down from very top on the front page; Leeloo looks like a reanimated corpse, & I swear her eyes follow me if I move! 😱

I'm really pleased that Cas finally got a really good Movie Disk to Review, & am really enjoying the thread, but I will be happy when some more reviews drops the item down from very top on the front page; Leeloo looks like a reanimated corpse, & I swear her eyes follow me if I move! 😱

There's some chicken/egg Tenet irony in the fact that the artist appears to have captured the exact look Milla would have at seeing this very artwork.

thanks for the review Cas....some people think this is a masterpiece others think its absolute garbage ...i think i'm somewhere in the middle ...

thanks for the review Cas....some people think this is a masterpiece others think its absolute garbage ...i think i'm somewhere in the middle ...
Its neither, just really entertaining.

I enjoyed this film so much, I named my first born after Bruce's character :)

I believe this release is on stand alone blu ray as well, which I imagine is the same print as the one that comes with the 4K disc?

I can’t find any technical details for it - does anyone know if it has the Atmos track too?

Thanks in advance!

I wonder if this film holds the record for the highest number of different disc releases?

Certainly seems like it! I've owned about half a dozen of them and thought I was finished when I got the U.S. 4K version o_O

Happy with that for now and certainly not going to pay full price for something with artwork that looks like a bad Photoshop filter.

I'd be really interested to see an in depth comparison between the Dolby Vision and HDR versions.

Love the film. Got it on laserdisc and the Sony 4K release

This one? Really like this packaging. Looks like I will be keeping it for the extras, so will probably use it for the 4K disc, and bury the new sleeve deep in the back of the cupboard.

View attachment 1359784
Yep! That's the one. I sold that for a pretty penny back in the day but maybe I shouldn't have!

Thanks Cas,

This is in my top ten films of all time, An absolute favorite that I never tire of :)

I have this on itunes US in 4K, And it now says DV & Atmos......I wonder if its the same version?

Must admit this probably warrants another dip though, Id watch it many times for sure :)

For whatever reason, I never got into this movie. Maybe because I've stereotyped Bruce Willis as John McClane and/or Milla Jovovich doesn't appeal to me... Oh well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom