The Gentlemen 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score

Thanks for the review, but according to this back cover, the UK UHD has only 7.1 sound, and not Atmos. Can you please clarify? Thanks!
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the review, but according to this back cover, the UK UHD has only 7.1 sound, and not Atmos. Can you please clarify? Thanks!

You're indeed correct, spent so long waiting for Amazon to deliver my UK disc I failed to update the changes between that and the US disc. Review's edited, knew there was a reason I didn't mention Atmos in the pull-out quote!

Thanks

Has anyone compared the tracks? Is it worth importing the us release for the Atmos track.

Cheers cas, we absolutely loved this effort, and Guy Ritchie doing what he does best. we watched this on the iTunes US release, the Atmos track, although only lossy, presented itself really well when the overheads engaged, especially the Grime music parts. One I'm going to pick up on 4k disc for sure.

It's good but not worth top dollar IMO, unless an avid Ritchie fan.
Hugh Grant's impeccable mockney accent is great and his playing a dodgy journo must've been too much for him to resist. Farrell, like Grant, is a highlight of this too, with the MMA dance group fronting Rapper Bugzy Malone.
Mr Alright, alright, alright plays a minor role and never scratches beyond being Mr Cool and Dockery, as his contrived wife, is floated in and out more as a sexual relief than much more.
Hunnam floats about along with 'his' accent and remains more an oddity than a character/device to pin things on.
The story goes awry at times, never consolidates itself beyond set pieces really and those parts of the whole can't make up for the end product.
It is fun in places but overall drags itself down feeling unsure in its scope.

Thanks for the Review Cas. Straight onto my rental list :)

Thanks for the review. I thought this was absolute toilet.

Colin Farrell was about the only good thing about it.

I like Lock, Stock and Snatch. But thought The Gentlemen was terrible.

Great movie really enjoyed it and the Atmos audio track and 4K is good so try and get the US version if you can.

Turned this off after 40 mins proper yawn fest

i can’t read anything about this film without thinking of that botched bus poster.
CF1D023F-A392-4A8A-924E-973F80C84F26.jpeg

Looking forward to watching this again, but disappointed about the extras. Thought there'd be some funny outtakes and segments etc.

Thoroughly enjoyed. Ok, not up there with Lock Stock or Snatch but still an 8/10.

Thoroughly enjoyed. Ok, not up there with Lock Stock or Snatch but still an 8/10.
Yeah this is definitely not a complete return to form for Guy's Lock Stock and Snatch "Cornetto series", though it trounces the dire, dire Revolver, hense I'm not counting that in the triple bill

The McConaissance plays what could be an opposite role to his famous american counterpart Brad Pitt. A smaller role in the film but not stealing it.

Hugh hams it up to 11 which he must have loved and getting to play a part which sticks it to the media was obviously too tempting to pass up.

Charlie Hunnam plays it cool, almost too cool,
but we get to find out why at the end of the very convenient ending
but have to say I loved the rescue attempt in the block of flats

But it's left to Colin Farrell to steal the show and to a lesser extent Lyne "don't £¿~& with me" Renne

It's probably unfair to expect another "sequel" to Lock Stock, but at the same time when Guy does Cockerney films, if they are not as good, they feel worse than they actually are if that makes sense?

Last edited:
Cheers cas, we absolutely loved this effort, and Guy Ritchie doing what he does best. we watched this on the iTunes US release, the Atmos track, although only lossy, presented itself really well when the overheads engaged, especially the Grime music parts. One I'm going to pick up on 4k disc for sure.
I was patiently waiting until last night to rent this via the UK iTunes Store.... but it’s standard HD 1080p and SDR, with 5.1 surround only (lossy as per normal)!

Mental for a full price £5.49 rental. Or am I just spoilt nowadays?

(Watched extraction on Netflix instead. V good)

UK disc showed up today.

Won't be importing the US disc, as the presentation is excellent and no tosses given about the lack of an Atmos track, because...
zuTOVAvh.jpg

Good job, EIV.

Started off pretty well but got tiresome quite quickly. Another of those rare times I felt like an old do-gooder as well, because I thought the 'urban youth' elements were just awful. The film touched upon some really ugly things in an almost light hearted way & it pissed me off.

I may be reading to much into that, but I'm just tired of seeing gang culture made to look cool. This film is a little guilty of that in my opinion.

Hugh Grant was massively entertaining though! (even though he got a little too close to Ralph Fiennes' performance from In Bruges)

6.5/10 for me...

Borrowed this off a work colleague. Pretty entertaining through and through. Solid 7/10

Have to say, looking at his CV on IMDB, this is defo nearer the top of his efforts, than the bottom.

I like this. Possibly the only time I’ve ever thought Charlie Hunnman has been any good in anything. Picture quality was sharp but not exactly vibrant.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom