Question The Goonies 4K UHD - FAULT at 1:00:59 - WB are Replacing Faulty Discs

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Goonies 4K UHD - FAULT at 1:00:59 - Please reply if you have the fault

UPDATE: Warner Bros. are replacing discs:

Please read the response from my dealer, HMV, here,

Dear all,

There is a fault on The Goonies 4K UHD at 1:00:59, which results in a seconds freezing with distortion to the video and audio/ audio cuts out for a second. To try to gather more information on the fault and try to get a fix, please can owner's respond with the following information?

- Do you have the fault?
- If so, what player are you using?
- Where did you purchase your copy from?
- What edition for you own? The Cine Edition or regular edition?

Others with the same fault here,

UPDATE: 4 x replacement discs sent across 3 customers on here all have the same glitch.

Kind thanks,

fallinlight

Last edited:
- Yes.
- Ripped to MKV using a ASUS BW-16D1HT drive on PC. Playing MKV using Kodi and madVR to render. Also occurs on MPC.
- Purchased from HMV.
- Cine Edition.

Last edited:
  • Fault on HMV cine edition
  • Panasonic UB820
  • From HMV (faulty)+ zavvi (plays fine)
  • Cine edition + steelbook
The hmv version has this weird flash of noise
IMG-1717.jpg

Last edited:
  • Fault on HMV cine edition
  • Panasonic UB820
  • From HMV (faulty)+ zavvi (plays fine)
  • Cine edition + steelbook
The hmv version has this weird flash of noise
IMG-1717.jpg

Thank you for that, @jimbean9. Yes, if that is at the 1:00:59, which I think it is based on the frame, then it is the same fault present on mine and other's discs.

Which version? Standard or CINE?
Standard. There is only standard from Amazon. Cine is HMV only

Edit: Take it back. An Amazon search does show a version like the CINE called the Exclusive gift set but mines standard as above

Last edited:
Watching my CINE edition now. Will report back!

Standard. There is only standard from Amazon. Cine is HMV only

Edit: Take it back. An Amazon search does show a version like the CINE called the Exclusive gift set but mines standard as above

I overlooked that you had bought it from Amazon, where the standard edition would have been most likely only available at the time your purchased it. You likely purchased it before it sold out from HMV - where the Cine Edition was an exclusive. So, what you are now seeing on Amazon are scalpers up-marking the price. Some scalpers will wait till out of stock at RRP, hence my thinking.

Watching my CINE edition now. Will report back!

Good luck, spike! If that is a yes, then sadly, we have a stronger correlation between HMV and Cine Edition.

Good luck, spike! If that is a yes, then sadly, we have a stronger correlation between HMV and Cine Edition.

I think it’s somehow a problem with the hmv ones as I have the zavvi steelbook too and that one played fine

I think it’s somehow a problem with the hmv ones as I have the zavvi steelbook too and that one played fine

Yes, it certainly seems that way, given the input on the bluray.com thread, too (link in my original post). But we need some more owners to chime in to determine if it is the Cine Edition only or not.

I definitely don't get any picture distortion whatsoever at that point. If you rewind it can you replicate it constantly?

I definitely don't get any picture distortion whatsoever at that point. If you rewind it can you replicate it constantly?

Cheers dude! Yes, for those who have the issue, it can be replicated every single time, including for me.

Right, that means it could also be player related, so that is the next thing we need to rule out. So far, it is only my ASUS BW-16D1HT and Panasonic UB820s which exhibit the glitch. A good turning point here, thanks to @spikecast, cheers man! And I am happy you do not have the glitch :)

:thumbsup:

Yeah we've tried to replicate it and we can't get it to happen! Watching on an Xbox One X (cyber punk 2077 limited edition to be exact!) hope you guys get it sorted! Was fully expecting mine to glitch to be honest as with it being the Cine edition.

Watching on an Xbox One X (cyber punk 2077 limited edition to be exact!)

Beautiful - looking forward to playing the game, man.

fault present almost seems like a layer change or something from the old dvd days, when you guys say picture distortion what do you mean, seems more like just a pause, audio cuts out then comes back lasts about 1-1.5 seconds.

edit; I’m not seeing any blocking or artefacts like the tv picture above,

HMV Cine edition

player: Sony UBP-X700

Attachments

• 3D5ABC55-9691-487F-B6F3-65ACBF035986.jpeg
    3D5ABC55-9691-487F-B6F3-65ACBF035986.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 6F261416-FF0C-4CB9-AD7B-675E205F9F7D.jpeg
    6F261416-FF0C-4CB9-AD7B-675E205F9F7D.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 160
fault present almost seems like a layer change or something from the old dvd days,
when you guys say picture distortion what do you mean

what do you mean, seems more like just a pause, audio cuts out then comes back lasts about 1-1.5 seconds.

edit; I’m not seeing any blocking or artefacts like the tv picture above,

HMV Cine edition

player: Sony UBP-X700

Excellent, thank you kindly, @andrewjh009.

when you guys say picture distortion what do you mean

As pictured above by @jimbean9. Note, jim has not photoed the entire frame, which - at least on my copy - exhibits distortion over Martha Plimpton's face/ centre of image, too.

Conclusion:

- Further correlation with Cine Edition only.
- Not everyone has artefacts.
- Occurs across various players - Sony, Panasonic and LG/ ASUS.

No problems with mine. Bought the standard 4K from HMV and played on my Panasonic UB820.

No problems with mine. Bought the standard 4K from HMV and played on my Panasonic UB820.

Cheers @SLS72.

Conclusion:

- Further correlation with Cine Edition only.
- Not everyone has artefacts.
- Occurs across various players - Sony, Panasonic and LG/ ASUS - likely not player dependent.

I just received good news and a good response from HMV about the fault:

"Dear...

Thanks for getting in touch.

We were sorry to hear of the manufacturing fault with your recent order of Goonies (hmv exclusive) Cine Edition and on behalf of both hmv and our suppliers, we offer our sincere apologies for any disappointment as a result of this.

In order to correct this error, the supplier has confirmed that a replacement disc will be available upon request - to request a replacement disc, please send an email to [[email protected]][email protected] by Monday 5th October 2020 with the following details:

Enter the email subject as 'Goonies Replacement disc'
  • Include your full postal address for the booklet to be delivered to
  • Please forward a copy of the confirmation email for your hmv order as proof of purchase
Once your request has been received, the supplier will work hard to get a replacement disc to you at the first opportunity.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention for correction. We do hope that this has helped but please feel free to contact us again should you require any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Ian @ hmv Customer Service

Customer Service Team".

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom