The Goonies (1985) 4K UHD

Xbox One X mate, Cine edition too. Might be worth contacting HMV who can let the relevant people know.

Cheers man.

I have little faith in the modern day customer service model. But you are correct, I will be informing HMV and linking the relevant threads.

I will make a dedicated thread for the glitch for sake of better managing the information and to try gain traction for a fix.

Please post whether you have the fault here,

Last edited:
I’m on Panasonic and no issues with mine

Kind thanks. Oh, please also include where your purchased it from and what edition you have.

Please post here,

I just received good news and a good response from HMV about the fault:

"Dear...

Thanks for getting in touch.

We were sorry to hear of the manufacturing fault with your recent order of Goonies (hmv exclusive) Cine Edition and on behalf of both hmv and our suppliers, we offer our sincere apologies for any disappointment as a result of this.

In order to correct this error, the supplier has confirmed that a replacement disc will be available upon request - to request a replacement disc, please send an email to [[email protected]][email protected] by Monday 5th October 2020 with the following details:

Enter the email subject as 'Goonies Replacement disc'
  • Include your full postal address for the booklet to be delivered to
  • Please forward a copy of the confirmation email for your hmv order as proof of purchase
Once your request has been received, the supplier will work hard to get a replacement disc to you at the first opportunity.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention for correction. We do hope that this has helped but please feel free to contact us again should you require any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Ian @ hmv Customer Service

Customer Service Team".

This is a weird transfer. With HDR set to std or Cinema it looks ok. Not great but ok & passable.

With HDR set to other modes it looks really weak, grainy & barely a 4K HDR transfer at all with a lot of waxy DNR & lack of detail on faces especially.

Either its the metadata not being processed properly by some equipment or another glitch.

This is a weird transfer. With HDR set to std or Cinema it looks ok. Not great but ok & passable.

Everyone;s display is different, hence my point earlier in this thread about the mess of the HDR format with it having no consistency and point of reference (unless you own a £10 - £15k reference HDR monitor). The other part are the range of HDR formats that have been brought to market, fracturing this further. And this feeds directly into why there are so many different displays and different looking transfers of films; for example the various displays available and that we own.

With HDR set to other modes it looks really weak, grainy & barely a 4K HDR transfer at all

This ties in my with me and Geoff's (on Home Theater Forum) impressions that The Goonies's HDR is really just a slight addition, nothing heavy and bold, but very welcome nonetheless.

with a lot of waxy DNR & lack of detail on faces especially.

Sadly, this is the case, yes. Geoff also picked up on this. It's really horrible, especially in the first half or so of the film. Skin tones are really waxy and pink and orange. The skin tones on the Blu-ray are far, far better.

Either its the metadata not being processed properly by some equipment or another glitch.

No, I think it is safe to say at this point, as per above, that the transfer is simply like this sadly, it's flawed; with good and bad points. I recommend reading Geoff's in depth review. I pasted it here and highlighted the points I think are most pertinent:

Last edited:
When I set my HDR mode to std it appears passable. I think its a case of set by set some handle certain HDR-DNR combos better than others. For sure its a bit of a weird transfer I still think the metadata on the disc is confused by most hardware!

WB should have used Dolby Vision or HD10+.

When I set my HDR mode to std it appears passable. I think its a case of set by set some handle certain HDR-DNR combos better than others. For sure its a bit of a weird transfer I still think the metadata on the disc is confused by most hardware!

WB should have used Dolby Vision or HD10+.

I use madVR and I relate to your experience of the film.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom