The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

I was bored to tears with the first season, had more fun looking at the stuff in the background than the actual plot. The second series is an even harder miss if you actually want to watch horror and not just an omg sp00ky soap opera.

5 episodes in.......

boring!!!

Pretty awful and I’ve managed 6 episodes of the first series. Poorly set, weak production and atmosphere. The replacement au pair is another case of Netflix wokeness. But the key element of any ghost story is the fear. There is none. I’ve seen scarier episodes of Pingu than this bore fest.
It promised much but delivers zero

I’m on the second episode and I’m not that keen on it already......it seems very slow, and those kids:mad:

Does it get any better, as I’m thinking of not wasting my time

I’m on the second episode and I’m not that keen on it already......it seems very slow, and those kids:mad:

Does it get any better, as I’m thinking of not wasting my time
I was exactly the same. Almost everything about it annoyed me. I gave up. Life's too short.

just finished this ,i thought it was a 7 ,watchable and ok,given what’s out there at the moment and there really is some rubbish,this for me was quite good,here’s looking forward to season 3

Finished it last night and also enjoyed it overall. The review is well reasoned; but I was able to ignore the accents, and don’t know the book.

Certainly not the same level as season 1, although beyond the obvious (the kids and the bad accents) I find it difficult to place why. I did think there were a lot of good elements - intriguing story (which was unpredictable to me), and some good characters and emotional arcs. And it’s still unusual to be watching something horror-ish as a show, even if it’s not proper horror.

I'm only on EP5 but my god this is nowhere near as good as the first season, The accents, The story, the lack of atmosphere are all really disappointing so far and Flora is so bloody annoying its really hard to watch, but I will finish it.

Personally I find Flanagan to be hugely overrated. He's essentially the new James Waan, as in he helped create a decent 'new' template for modern horror films and now that style is being milked to death...

Utter crap.

Personally I find Flanagan to be hugely overrated. He's essentially the new James Waan, as in he helped create a decent 'new' template for modern horror films and now that style is being milked to death...
I agree 100%. I must admit I have a soft spot for him because of Absentia, but everything he has done after that has been very underwhelming.

1 more to go, it's been a slog so far, taking a break before finishing it up, was looking forward to this series, but been really disappointed, seems Netflix second series show are a let in most things sadly.

The missus and I actually enjoyed this second series! It was of course not as good as S1 but we decided not to compare. We found the slow story telling to actually make us want to watch the next episode to understand what was happening to the characters and who or what was happening to the people and house. I thought the atmosphere was all there and the acting good! The accents didn't bother us and thought the conclusion and explanation of it all to be worth watching the slow build up! It certainly didn't rely on shock tactics to scare but we let ourselves get wrapped in the slow build and eeriness and isolation of the big old house and found it suitably creepy in just the darkness, weirdness and the grounds of the house. 8/10 for us! If you like slow burn and letting your imagination give you the creeps then watch this!

No where near on par with series 1 but its not too bad.

It is slow and at times painfully slow, but there are parts that make it worth a watch for me.

No hidden stuff in the back ground in this one though.

Just finished watching it and quite enjoyed it. It wasn’t a masterpiece, had a few rough edges and wasn’t as good as Hill House but it still kept me and the missus intrigued for a week.

Americans doing British accents are almost always a bit ropey, especially as we’re not talking of Hollywood A listers in a big budget cinema production. However, it didn’t really spoil it too much for us and as long as you go into it understanding it’s a bit more of an atmospheric, spooky love story rather than a chilling jump fest of horror then it’s not bad viewing. Just about worthy of a 7 to me.

I was bored to tears with the first season, had more fun looking at the stuff in the background than the actual plot. The second series is an even harder miss if you actually want to watch horror and not just an omg sp00ky soap opera.

First season? You mean there's going to be more! I loved the film but found the original novel hard work. The heroine wasn't a person to use a single word when twenty would do. I saw a bit of the tv version on Googlebox on Friday and it looked terrible.

Bri

Saw it through to the bitter end. 4-5 episodes too long. I wound skipping large parts of the latter episodes and missed nothing from the plot. A drama with supernatural elements would be more apt description. Even as a drama it was so turgid, drawn out and badly acted. With no suspense or any element of tension. The cheap looking sets and soft tone lighting did it no favours.

Real disappointment. The last half hour of the last episode after everything seemed wrapped up just epitomised how drawn out the whole affair was.

I actually felt sorry for (spoilering just on case) bookend wedding guests to the story being told by Carla Gugino character. Thinking you poor sods stuck there listening to this turd of a story !

In that case, I won't bother. That's a shame, as I was looking forward, to watching it.
Well, plenty of other good series to watch. In fact I should make a list and prioritise them.

Could this be one of the most polarising TV shows ever?

Finished the show, glad tbh as it was boring, poor story, terrible acting and not a patch on Hill House, I wonder if this will be another Netflix show to be cancelled after a couple seasons.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom